Janet's Voyager site to close "soon".

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by T.D. Possum, Mar 7, 2011.

1. T.D. Possum

T.D. Possum Commodore Commodore

I just noticed the announcement on her page. She doesn't specify a date, just says "soon". It also says she has been talking about this since November, but since I totally missed that tidbit, I thought I'd pass this info along to any other unobservant folks who might want to know.

(Although now I'm kind of having deja-vu. Maybe I did know about this and just forgot it? Maybe I'm caught up in a temporal anomaly? Maybe I'm just a dummy? Whatever.)

2. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sucks that she is going to close her site soon. It was a great Voyager site...going to miss it when it goes.

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh no, another great Voyager site gone.

Is there no one out there who care for the series anymore?

She could at least keep the site on the net even if she don't update it.

And no explanation why it will be closed either.

4. T.D. Possum

^ I saw a note saying that she made the decision because it wasn't getting many hits anymore. I don't think it's that no one cares about Voyager. I think it's because Trek Core and Memory Alpha have been growing continuously and now contain so much information, it's more practical for people to contribute to those sites than to maintain their own mega-site. The big sites can be easier to use, too - most people like "one stop shopping".

5. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

That's a shame.

6. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Server space costs money. If she's not getting many hits, it probably isn't worth the cost anymore. Even if she stops updating, she's still got to pay to keep the place afloat.

Her site's been a staple for years and years. It'll be a shame to see it go. :( However, it is a bit of a relic as far as design and ease of use are concerned. All her pages are very busy. Like Possum mentioned, people are probably using TrekCore because it's got a lot of the same stuff. Additionally, its navigation is much more modern and streamlined.

The real loss will be all those captions and that cute little Java board game I like to play :lol:

7. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Oh, that would be a shame. I've relied on her site for a long time. Maybe I should go look at it hourly so she gets more hits, lol. There is so much info that would be lost, all the screen caps, and behind the scenes stuff, it will be a real loss, am sad :(.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

wait,wait, which site is this??

9. T.D. Possum

http://www.star-trek-voyager.net/

You know, I look at that site and it really amazes me how much work she put into it. Even though it's out of date now, as far as how it's built technically, I think about how many hours it must have taken her to hand code all that html and upload screen caps taken from VHS - it's just mindboggling.

Here's to you, Janet, wherever you are!

10. teacake

Wow, that is a lot of work. Labor of love.

4500 pages on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

11. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    You know, that is absolutely true and a good point. I can't imagine the blood, sweat and tears all that took. And she was providing screenies pretty much before anyone else.

I shall join in this salute!

12. teacake

I'm thinking this is like an illuminated manuscript for the cyber age. All that hand coding, the thousands of hours, the epic length and detail.. if we valued net history like we value books this site would be preserved as a shining example of such labors of love. People would donate to keep it online so it wasn't lost forever.

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

This is too bad. I still visit her site occasionally. It is such an awesome Voyager resource. The site is a bit dated, but who cares. Hell, I think we all are getting "dated." :lol:

Can't believe Voyager has been off the air for 10 years.

14. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah....most fans goes to Memory Alpha (or Star Trek Wikia) and TrekCore more anyways and there is also the Daystrom Institute Technical Library site.

15. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is definetly one of the best Voyager sites ever on the net and I have spent countless hours there over to years:bolian: :)
    It will be really sad to see it go:borg:

16. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Too bad there's no way to integrate the sites. There is a ton of overlap but most of them do have some unique content.

17. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Well looks like the site is finally down. It really is a shame considering all of the work that went into it.

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I did notice that a few days ago.

Despite the fact that I really like TrekCore and Memory Alpha, I will really miss Janet's site because it was the best Voyager site on the net.

19. Daggin

Daggin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I saw a while back that she was closing the site; I've been there a good number a times, and I'm grateful for her devotion to Voyager, and it's nice that she put forth the effort to create it. As has been said, there were some things there, screencaps, for example(And as a big Voyager pic fan, I'd know) that might not be seen at trekcore, etc. Best to Janet, loyal fellow STV fan.

20. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss it.