Where are those big windows on the Enterprise model on the set?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DS9forever, Jan 12, 2014.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

2. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What's also odd is that they seem to effectively be the floor, unless the artificial gravity direction is different in those parts of the ship.

Could they perhaps be windows for the oft-rumoured cetacean crew members quarters / workspaces?

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

What's wrong with windows on the floor? They don't take up that much room when compared to the windows on the upper decks, I would love it if my quarters had bottom windows. I'd be willing to trade a third of my floor for a feature like that. Maybe the quarters are even a little bit bigger to make up for the lost floor space.

4. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would a cetacean need brightly lit quarters? Their natural environment deep in an ocean is generally a lot darker.

5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On Earth deep ocean creatures are adapted to a lack of sunlight, they're also not eligible to be crew members, since they're not intelligent. Who knows what cetacean lifeforms from other worlds would require.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

perhaps they could be a gallery/view port around the Captains Yacht. and those windows giving an awesome
    view to launch crews
    [​IMG]
    Probert Designs

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a lot about Probert's design and original 6-footer that never got utilized in the show. His idea for the saucer edge, the arboretum ceiling, some of the phaser strips, the captain's yacht, and the main shuttlebay*. What was the point of adding the shuttlebay to the design if they only used the ones on the neck? Then there are things that you can't find on the Enterprise model. So the neck has two shuttlebays - what about the cargo bays? Where are they?

*I think the main bay was used twice during the show- Cause and Effect and BOBW Part 2. The interior layout is never seen or known.

9. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Physics is physics, thought. Light will only penetrate so deeply into a liquid body.

Now, alien cetacean creatures may live more in the shallow end of the ocean, who knows. But, then, would they fit the definition of cetacean as opposed to amphibian?

10. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

why, you think you couldnt step on them?

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not intelligent? Dolphins serve in the Navy NOW. Veteran minesweeping dolphins are currently being interviewed for the National Archives about their experiences - seriously: interviewed. And the Indian government recently banned keeping Dolphins in captivity for shows, and issued this statement:

Whereas cetaceans in general are highly intelligent and sensitive, and various scientists who have researched dolphin behavior have suggested that the unusually high intelligence; as compared to other animals means that dolphins should be seen as ‘non-human persons’ and as such should have their own specific rights and is morally unacceptable to keep them captive for entertainment purpose.

Given more advanced tech and further research, I find it entirely possible that the "cetacean ops" section could be populated by alien and/or Terran cetaceans.

(Sorry if this seems overly defensive, but as far as I know, they aren't on TrekBBS yet ;) , so I felt the need to speak up for them.)

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How does one interview a dolphin?

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

If I'm not mistaken that would mostly be the window section at the bow right ahead of the Captain's Yacht. Probably some means of visual approach control.

Bob

14. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

yes.. I go with that.

at least that's the idea I got from the painting.
    would have made a great scene if ever show of the Yacht departing..

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The windows inside the phaser ring on the bottom are set inside recesses and look to be angled differently than the ones outside the phaser ring.

My question is, are the windows in the center (the larger ones in front of NCC-1701-D) supposed to be 10 Forward? If they are, 10 Forward was closed at the time.

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure, but that was what they said, and they were very clear about what they meant. They might be using the stuff Apple Computer and Project Delphis developed in the late 90s and early 00s, using computers with underwater and abovewater touchscreens to develop a "common language" to use to communicate with each other.

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Of course I could step on them but they wouldn't be horizontal, my quarters would be inverted from the quarters with top windows. There's no way to put a bed or sofa where the windows are.

18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, 10-Forward is at the very forward-bottom rim of the saucer. The very front of the ship.

Those "windows" in the recess by the NCC number are said to be a deflector system to be used by the saucer when it's separated.

See on Rick Sternbach's blueprint here:
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/star-trek-the-next-generation-enterprise-sheet-2.jpg

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

First of all, these are windows according to the ship's designer Andrew Probert. Check out Greg Tyler's interview and fast forward to Question 25, Andrew Probert even illustrated this area with crew members behind those windows.

Second, it was not supposed to be Ten Forward by the production designers that took over after Andrew Probert had left the TNG production, but it's the only possible location for Ten Forward unless you want to double the size of the ship.

This is addressed in Question 23 of the aforementioned interview and has recently been discussed again here at the BBS: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217183&page=4

Bob

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, the Ten Forward windows are incorrectly scaled (half the size they should be on the outside) with regards to the rest of the ship on the original 6-foot Enterprise-D model. Although I believe the situation was fixed with the 4-foot model introduced later, and it's noticeably thicker saucer rim? I've never tried to measure it but I assumed that change was especially to "fix" Ten Forward.