The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The news has been steadily good about this film. Tweak that helmet size and I'm sold :p

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If anyone's interested, that blog I linked to earlier now has some recent photos of the female lead sporting her new crop of blonde hair. I can really see why they cast her as Anderson, she has that big black eyes thing going on that also got Pat Tallman cast as a telepath.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. Although I think they need to make her a platinum blond...that hair is a little off for me for some reason.

4. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

Isn't she Cersei in Game of Thrones? I dont want anything to take her away from that. Unless they do Dredd during her break from GOT.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The first season of Game of Thrones is already done filming. This won't interfere.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

OK I looked at the production art several times...did anyone notice how much like the '97 film it looks? It would be hard not to do it much differently than that. The '97 movie had an $80 million budget...this one $45 million...hmmm should be interesting to see.

RAMA

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well of course it'll have some things in common with the '97 film, (it is the same source material after all) but by all accounts this production is going for "gritty realism" (with perhaps a healthy bit of satire) in terms of tone and production design, while the Stallone film was a much more glossy, Blade Runner on steroids meets Star Wars type of affair.

If you really want to indulge in allegorical comparisons then I'd say this new film will look like Robocop meets District 9, with a plot that's like Die Hard meets Training Day...or we can just wait and see so we can judge the film on it's own merits. ;)

Not that I'm a hair expert or anything but I gather there's only so much you can do with hair that's naturally very dark before you risk doing some damage. Plus I always saw Anderson as a bit of a dirty blonde. If you really want to see a cute white haired girl as a Psi Judge then I suggest you wait till they make a film with Exorcist Judge Lamia. :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Admiral_Young

They're in production right now and yes the first season of Game of Thrones is already long completed as mentioned. I don't much care if it resembles the 97 film, what is going to distinguish it from that is the story and as Reverend and I have previously reported the story is very much different indeed. Alex Garland I think did a great job with the script as well as concentrating on the nitty gritty what Dredd fans expect to see from the character and world. I'm starting to think we could get a teaser trailer by the summer time maybe. That's just a guess the way things are progressing. I also agree about Dredd's helmet...although since this is being filmed in 3D, a part of me wouldn't be surprised if the helmet it's self will be rendered in 3D too.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

See Carey Mulligan for further details about hair damage!

I kinda like the look she has though, if anything she looks more like Anderson than the comics portray her as (if that at all makes sense) I mean in the comics Anderson was always a babe, whereas this girl has a quirliker look that fits in more with the character. She probably has a harder job than Urban, so long as he can be gruff and deadpan he's sorted, but Anderson's gotta be empathetic, quirky, witty, irreverent...well basically carry all the emotions that Dredd can't! If they pull it off it'll be a great pairing.

Headey as the villain is sort of good news, I'm just slightly dissapointed cos she might have made a fab Hershey!

The Lawgivers seem like a lot else in the film, modern day Glocks with bits stuck on them. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing, invented prop guns can be very obvious to spot unless done right, but I still can't shake the feeling that this film's not going to feel nearly futuristic enough.

Obviously impossible to judge (ha ha) until we at least see a trailer.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Actually that did occur to me too. Still, if Hersey is in this at all, it'd only be a cameo--IIRC there's an unnamed female Chief Judge on friendly terms with Dredd, so it's probably her--while on the other hand Ma-Ma plays a much bigger role. On balance more Headey is preferable than less. ;)

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

True.

As for the Chief Judge, Hershy might be the best choice, shame they can't do McGruder (in her second term of office!)

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh dear, looks like that blog got slapped with a C&D.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ More than that; I've been having a nose around on the 2000AD forums and it looks like the guy posting the images was a model maker and got himself sacked over leaking too much. Somebody didn't read their confidentiality agreement very closely!

I can understand the production company not being happy about it. I mean naturally they and the studio need to be able control how their film is marketed and stuff like this can potentially cost them if it affects people's opinion of the film.

15. Admiral_Young

That's unfortunate and one of the downsides of having the internet so easily accessible. On the one hand if gives us fans something cool to look at but on the other it pisses off the studio who don't want to give stuff away. It's understandable.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Creator John Wagner talks (positively) about the movie

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/113990-judge-dredd-creator-offers-set-report

17. Admiral_Young

Interesting interview. That's a perfect description of the script too...a slice of life rather than broad sweeps. This really is an intimate film rather than bombastic. It has all the elements that Judge Dredd fans expect but condenses them and focuses on the plot and characters in the film.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks more like a fan-fiction film someone is making in their back-garden.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral