Nintendo 2DS.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rincewiend, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that I'm not the target demographic for this, but we're talking about a $40 price difference. That's nothing. If you want to buy a cheap 3DS for the kids, just go to Gamestop and pick up a used 3DS for around $100.

Nintendo tried this once before with the Wii Mini for $99. I wonder if that was successful.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

They're still selling 200,000 Wiis, so perhaps it was successful? Besides, this isn't nearly as cut down as the Wii was, and the Wii makes sense insofar as parents might not want their kids accessing the internet in their rooms that way and they shut down a lot of their online services.

My nieces had DS Lites and DSis, one of them managed to break the hinge on one of each.

Also you going to Gamestop and buying a used 3DS doesn't make Nintendo money, hence a cheaper model that you can buy new will make them money.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Nintendo is a hardware company. It would be totally senseless for them to undercut their hardware business by making 3DS games playable on non-Nintendo hardware. Like it or not, Nintendo's brand is built on their hardware, and they sell that hardware by producing high-quality first-party games for it.

Nintendo is currently dominating the handheld gaming market, so long as we are talking about dedicated gaming devices (rather than phones and tablets.) The 3DS isn't selling at the rate the original DS did, but it's not off by a huge amount. It's still a big moneymaker. Nintendo would be stupid to cannibalize those sales by making a cheap option for non-Nintendo hardware.

Yup. That's why I'll probably get one for my kids, but not for myself.

It must have been successful in Canada, because they released it in the UK and Europe, too. I suspect the reason they haven't released it in the US is because it has no Wi-Fi capability, and I assume most people in the US use their Wiis for things like Netflix and YouTube pretty frequently (as my kids do.) A console without Wi-Fi wouldn't make any sense here.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Target had the 3DS for $130 a few months back, and will again for Christmas. This should be $100.

As some site said, Nintendo makes the first portable gaming device that isn't portable.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Why isn't this portable?

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it can't fit into your pocket. And if it could people would probably be complaining the screen is too small. It's a universal fact people are always going to find something to complain about. ;)

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Is it any worse than the original Gameboy?

That was considered a portable system as well.

8. Bob The Skutter

How about the Vita or even the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Mega? or other Phablets. Or a Kindle/Kobo/Nook?

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The original Gameboy was a bit smaller than a (closed) 3DS.

Although I'm not sure how big the 2DS is, it's definitely not going to fit into most people's pantpockets.

10. Kelthaz

You guys make some good points for the 2DS. I had never considered that the hinges on the 3DS could be easily broken by kids.

As for the 3DS XL, it does fit in my jeans pocket. It's a tight fit, but it's far more comfortable than my Kindle. Yeah, I really need to buy a bag.

11. Bob The Skutter

2DS
    Width:
    14.4 cm (5.7 in)
    Height: 12.7 cm (5.0 in)
    Depth: 2.03 cm (0.80 in)

3DS
    Width:
    13.4 cm (5.3 in)
    Height: 7.4 cm (2.9 in)
    Depth: 2.2 cm (0.87 in)

Gameboy
    Width
    3.5"
    Height 5.8"
    Depth 1.3"

12. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

I can totally get the idea because some people don't like the 3D. I think different versions of consoles are always cool, especially for collecting down the road. However this is hands down without a doubt in my mind the least attractive piece of mobile hardware Ive ever seen. It looks like a cheap Chinese knock off. I'm completely flabbergasted. Id pay $40 more just to use the 3DS in 2D mode and not see this.

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Some leaked info on Nintendos 1Ds which will be released in 2015

[​IMG]

LOL

14. Bob The Skutter

Was expecting a One Direction poster.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not an expert on backwards compatibility or how feasible this would be, but I'd be interested in a converter that's inserted in like a Action Replay that could make 3DS games playable on the original DS without the 3d, like this 2ds boasts. That would get me buying a couple extra games anyways.

16. Bob The Skutter

Not feasible at all. The 3DS has more memory, a fast CPU, higher resolution screens, better graphics chip and different OS. Basically it would cost more for the add on than a 3DS because you'd have to fit all the same technology in to a smaller space and make it compatible with the older device.

17. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

So... basically we can all finally admit that the 3d was a gimmick and pretty useless on the console?

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Given that everyone stopped using the 3D function after a week, that time has come and gone already. Nintendo has only now given people an alternative.

That said, a basic model that just plays the games without all the bells and whistles, no waste on the 3D should appeal to people who want a nice basic console.

They could just have made a better effort on it's appearance.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're confusing the Game Boy and the Game Boy Pocket.

20. Kelthaz

The 3DS isn't just a 3D version of the DS. It's an entirely new system a generation ahead of the DS technologically. What you're suggesting is like attaching a Blu-ray drive to a Sega Genesis to play PS3 games.