From The Motion Picture Soundtrack: "A Good Start"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

One of my favorite parts of The Motion Picture Soundtrack. The entire track lasts about two-and-a-half minutes and is an interesting study in contrasts. The first half of the piece is something of a melancholic ode to The Original Series, as there are aspects of Goldsmith's theme that are eerily reminiscent of music from TOS.

I especially like the music at the thirty-second mark, which coincides with Uhura relaying Starfleet's message and Kirk pausing briefly as he's reflecting on the loss of both Decker and Ilia. But the music changes abruptly as he allows for the possibility that both may still be out there somewhere, asking that they be listed as missing in action.

The tone of the track changes after that as Scotty and Chapel come onto the bridge to join their shipmates and Kirk asks Scotty about the upcoming Enterprise shakedown. It's as if Goldsmith is conveying the idea that- having mourned the past (and two missing crew members)- it's now time to look to the future. The music starts to pick up as Kirk settles into the captain's chair- his chair- and orders the Enterprise "out there... thataway..."

--Sran

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The similarities to TOS music are no accident, since Fred Steiner actually wrote "A Good Start" based on Goldsmith's themes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've always loved the whole soundtrack. I love Jerry Goldsmith's works, and it really works here. I like him best when he's mixing traditional musical score and bizarre organic style. Along with James Horner (pre-Titanic), Leonard Rosenman, and John Williams, he's one of my favorites.

The cue "A Good Start' is possibly one of the most perfect ending suites ever to a film. The ending part alone is so optimistic that it fits perfectly with the tone of Star Trek in general. Not to mention it fits perfectly with the grand, epic tone the film has been perfecting. Love it or hate it, there's a real atmosphere of wonder prevalent throughout the whole film.

So, yeah. I agree with you on this one.

4. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the whole soundtrack but if I had a favorite or two or more they would be Klingon Battle, Total Logic, Floating office, Goodbye Klingon, The Force Field and Micro Exam. I Also like....Oh what I am I saying? I love the entire thing.

5. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One of my favorite pieces of music. I will always see (in my mind) the image of the Enterprise gliding overhead and then the slightly vertigo-inducing feeling as the camera pivots to follow the ship before going to warp. Then.. "The Human Adventure is Just Beginning."

I'll never forget that image on the screen. That and the curtain warmer music (overture) before the curtain opened (back when theaters bothered with curtains). Makes me all mushy thinking about it.

6. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Yes, those were the days ...

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Indeed they were. :techman: