What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, May 17, 2013.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

What do you all think of the new visual for the Warp Core. First, it's outside appearance (looks like a modern day experimental laser induced fusion generator). Then there is the inside view, which looks like, I dunno, electricity flowing between two conduits.

This deviates quite a bit from the good old vertical warp core, with pulsing lights of future ships. Now of course in TOS, we never really saw the warp core from this perspective, and many theories exist how that might have looked like.

So, do you like this new design?

Personally, I see where they are going here, trying to give it a more realistic feel. From the outside, I can see that looking like what you might think of as a power core. On the inside, it looks futuristic.

My theory is that what we were seeing on the inside was the Dilithium Chamber itself, it's just bigger here cause it isn't as advanced. The chamber must be so big in this period you can go inside it, and the two nodes were holding Dilithium Crystals, and the power flowed between them. Though, I don't know where the reaction takes place.

At least I'm glad they are back to just one warp core, and not multiple cores, I never liked the multiple core idea.

Thoughts?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're not far off. In fact, it was shot on location at the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore Labs.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The warp core was just an astonishing improvement not only over oldTrek designs but of course over the improvised Engineering spaces in the first Abrams Trek movie.

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked engineering better in this film a little bit better than the last film. The CORE reminded me of the Death Star reactor where it had the two halves with the beam of energy between them..lol

-Chris

5. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Yep I liked it more realistic looks like it could work much better than some constructed set with flashing light going up and down on it. I have to say I've always liked the TMP engine room, but I really do like the engineering set.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The others were pretty but, like so much of oldTrek, don't actually look real. This does (presumably because much of it is).

7. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I really like both the old tube of blue glowiness, as well as the newer "giant spark plug" look.

8. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the worst engine room set was TNG. It was like they placed it at the end of a hallway.

-Chris

9. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

10. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

It was a vast improvement over what we saw in ST09 but wont knock the Enterprise E engineering set off its perch as my favourite.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

This. It's the best interpretation I've ever seen of a warp reactor.

12. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I'm in the minority here. I don't like it. I feel that it is reflective of something that might have been passable in a low-budget film. I feel that the engine cores in the classic Trek were far more believable, mainly, because, there was thought put into the design. What we saw in the series was the reaction chamber which was part of a larger engineering system. And, if I remember rightly, Kirk had to climb his way up to the connection point, because there were no stairways and no catwalks. And, when he got there, he literally had to kick one of the connection points into place. Really? And where was the dilithium crystal to modulate the reaction? I didn't see one.

13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    The bluish-glowing tips of the two halves appeared to be some kind of crystal-like material to me.

Personally, they could have made the chamber a bit smaller for my tastes and rational, but I'm not going to dwell on production decisions, it was effective for what they were attempting to convey in the scene.

14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I will always like TOS and Shatner movies Warp Cores, however I accept the new JJ era too.

15. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

I can't stand the thing, looks like it could pour a hell of a coffee though.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I've made clear in other threads, I'm glad to see the over sized lava lamp shit being given the heave ho at last.

17. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I loved how it looked. I was never one to hate the Bud factory from the last film as it did give the interiors a grand scale. The warp core itself actually did look like something real. And you can't stop at just that without mentioning the room Kirk must climb into to save the ship, which was great. When that sequence appeared I sorta giggled a bit saying it was the 'Omega13' room. I don't mean that in a bad way!

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts: it was an interesting design, but I find it hard to rationalize as something involved in the matter/antimatter reaction. (Then again, the new side room in TWOK has the same problem.)

There doesn't seem to be any way to eject it, either.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I loved that warp core...now there's a high energy particle physics reactor if I ever saw one!:lol:

20. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The new warp core is more believable and more functional (because its a real functional thing!) than the standard Star Trek vertical warp core but honestly I would prefer the old style vertical warp core because its more 'Star Trek' but thats just my preference :)

Maybe we will get one in the future. For example, if there is ever a nuTV show they wont be allowed in the laser fusion room every week!