DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I picked up He-Man #1 today. One place was sold out, so I had to go elsewhere.

I also have to catch up on Justice League Dark. I haven't read the last two issues. I flipped through one of them though. Has Shade, the Changing Man been written out?

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Shade went when Milligan went, in a somewhat disjointed transition issue.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not if people want to talk about anything else. Again, using AMC as the comparison point, maybe a thread about "the Killing" would get pushed down every time people started talking about Mad Men or Breaking Bad (or TWD [though that's a different forum]), not to mention all the other shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., but people who care about the topic would come back to it.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The point of this thread is that so we can talk about the books we are reading. There's absolutely no reason to start threads on individual books. People have already had an opportunity to do that over the past year and aside from a an Action Comics thread started I think by Pyscho Pere, that discussed various aspects of Superman's reboot, that hasn't been in the case, but if you want to start a thread on a specific topic being focused in a book...by all means. I just don't see the point of starting multiple book threads when a catch all thread has sufficed for a year.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can kinda see what you guys are saying, but at the same time if we end up with threads for different series then it might end up overwhelming the whole forum. TBH if you don't care for the thing taking over the thread it can get really annoying because all of these threads you don't care about are making it impossible to find threads you do care about.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

OTH, if we start a bunch of threads talking about the different books and overwhelm the forum it just might finally get us the comic book sub-forum that people have been demanding forever.

Today:

Action
    Detective
    Dial H #3
    Earth 2 #3

He didn't have his shipment of the Earth 2 #1 (2nd Printing) in today due to the holiday and when he ordered it, should get it in a couple days. (I enjoyed the second book so much I'm considering following the series.) And even though I was told a couple weeks ago the Splinter TMNT Micro-Series issue was out I've still not seen it anywhere.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    It might be different if we had a separate comics forum. I see the argument that, say you come to this forum for Star Wars and not comics, that you'd be lost in the multiple threads for various DC/Marvel/etc. comics.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Possibly true.
    I look at this way. I recall how a few years back, probably 4-5 now, how the mods or maybe it was group think I don't recall, decided that for every new bit of news on a TV show or Hotly anticipated movie announcement was clogging the thread. So we went to having one thread for all new info and I think that has worked out well. Sure every blue moon someone doesn't like it but overall it works.

Same here, for now at least. I was glad to see the "all Action Comics" news go elsewhere out of the main DC thread cause I wasn't reading it.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's just it, if we create the "demand" by making a bunch of threads on the various comic books, comic book movies, comic book TV shows, etc. The TPTB have been reluctant to make such a sub-forum due to lack of demand (but, apparently, there was high demand for a Dr. Who forum.) Well... If we create that demand...

:devil:

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A comic book forum would screw us.

A little box off in the wayfare where no one would have the strength to visit.

Seriously, 10 seconds to generate a new page and it freezes the media I'm playing while it...

I need more RAM.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

not exactly set in the 52 verse...but did anyone else read Masters of the Universe? thought it was pretty entertaining. an interesting take on the He-Man mythos.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did. I thought it was pretty good. Not exactly what I was hoping for...but I did enjoy it and the set up. Will be interesting to see Teela in issue two. I loved the Zoar appearance and her connecting with Adam, I'm guessing Skeletor wiped her memory and trapped the Sorceress in her Falcon form. It almost reminded me a bit of the Classic Lifelines two parter comic from Star Comics. Wasn't that great a fan of the art though.

Action Comics #11: Batman and Superman meet up!!! I really enjoyed this issue, but I do have to say...is it just me, or does this arc feel more disjointed story telling wise than the opening arc did? I feel like it's had less flow than the first arc did. Other than that I enjoyed this. Also still is a bit confusing as we've brought up before just when exactly Clark chooses to wear or bond to his Kryptonian armor. It's obvious that he wears his regular t-shirt and jeans with cape in Metropolis for the "little" I guess street work, but I guess switches to his armor for the heavy more action packed conflicts.

13. shivkala

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Black Lightning looks good in that pencil sketch. I await the coloring for final verdict but it's very promising.

Agreed--Blue Devil is only missing a ball gag to complete the ensemble. HORRIBLE!! I also don't like the horns. They look fragile. The 90 degree turn out of the head just looks wrong.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

16. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Blue Devil looks like his design has been brought in line with some of the other devils we've seen in the past: Satanus was the name, maybe?

But I like the idea of S&M Devil. He can be the one who's kidnapped all the characters still missing from the reboot - the article even says he'll help "unlock" a corner of the DC Universe. "Bring out the gimp ... I mean, the Elongated Man!"

17. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Manhunter was great (has she shown up in the New 52?). I've been waiting for Andreyko to come back to the DCU.

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. shivkala

I've heard of John Layman, but I haven't read any of his stuff. His creator owned title at Image, Chew has been highly recommended by the staff of iFanboy. Apparently, it's about John Chu, a Cibopath, who gets psychic flashes from what he eats, which helps him solve crimes. I gather it's better than it sounds.

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chew is a great book. Layman on 'Tec is good news.

So, now that we've gotten a good look at it, what do we think of Alan Scott's nu costume from Earth 2? Personally I think it needs more cape.