Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Always nice to see behind the scenes of the pros, thanks :)

2. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

I think I see a small change at the base of the pylons and where they connect to the warp drive units! Am I right?

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I really like the so-called "chicken wire"--it should be visible more frequently than when you're only 10 meters away! Unsolicited suggestion: I'd enlarge the mesh and thicken the "wire" gauge to make it a little more visible.

4. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, you're both right. I've seen a lot of comments over the years from people who thought those connections were a little too... plain? Abrupt? Simplified? Not sure of the best word to describe it, but they did seem to need a little something more.

On the previous iteration of this design, I used a fillet blend at the base of the pylons where they connect to the secondary hull. I was never really happy with that look because it wasn't consistent and it seemed a little too obviously derivative of the TMP refit. I later came up with the idea to use a more angular chamfer on the acute angled side of each connection point. You can't see it well in any of these latest renderings, but I did basically the same thing to the interconnecting dorsal. I think it makes those parts look a little more integrated without getting too organic, as is arguably the case with the new movie version.

5. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Coolness. Oh, and as I was schooled by Cary when I mentioned molecules in relation to metal:

Cary L. Brown wrote:

“Well, I hate to bring reality into it...

See... "metallic" materials do not have molecules. Not at all. If you make a molecule... even one which contains atoms of metallic elements... it is in no way whatsoever a metal anymore.

Anytime someone shows you a "molecule of metal" in science-fiction... they're simply demonstrating that they have no real grasp of even the most basic elements of materials science.

Steel is a metallic matrix, which in some forms has some small amounts of covalent iron compounds present along grain boundaries (resulting in a harder, but more brittle, state).

Then again... Aluminum is a metallic material, which (due to the same free electrons which make it metallic in the first place) is inherently, and incontrovertably, opaque.

So I guess basic materials science doesn't apply in Trekkiedom. Carry on.”

Can't have stuff jumpin' the rails, eh.

deg

6. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Yep, everything structural generally has "pilings" for support. That was one on the first things I added to my E, as the idea of the pylons just jutting out of the hull was ridiculous to me. As is anything that just "juts."

deg

7. Vektor

Hmm... Well, I certainly wouldn't want to provoke a similar schooling from Cary, so let's say the bonding process alters the atomic structure in such a way that it is no longer transparent. It's also possible that transparent aluminum is not actually a pure element any more than steel is, they just don't bother calling it by its full name, in which case the molecular structure comment could still be accurate. ;)

8. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

^ The more I read the better I like! I cannot wait to see more!

9. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

^ i christen thee the USS VenetianBlinds :guffaw:

i always love the wireframes too!

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a lot of critical input, other to say I'm liking it. :D

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never been a fan of the spikes on the nacelles myself...it just looked 'off' to me for some reason; I prefer the complete dome personally. That said, your Enterprise does look good with them, and I look forward to more.

12. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Going back to your comment about the "going to warp" effect, I think that it would be enhanced if, in the interior 'trench' around the after dome, it had a glow effect that mirrored the spin of the blades, to indicated the connected-ness of the mechanism and emphasize that this is all one big engine. And I think that the wire should be a bit bigger. :)

13. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I find it difficult to put into words the good feelings I get looking at this image.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't think you need to worry... Link

Back on topic, I hadn't noticed the alterations to the pylons you had made. I like it. :bolian:

15. Vektor

Yeah, I was aware of his "departure," just being sardonic. I actually like Cary and respect his level of knowledge about many things, but I hope he grows a thicker skin before he comes back. ;)

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I prefer the nacelles without the spikes. They always seemed a bit too much for the nacelles...like they were added just to look cool and nothing more. That said, I do like your rendition of them and giving them function. I look forward to seeing more of your Enterprise!

17. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Oh, I wasn't aware of all the friction/drama, and that he was gone. I liked Cary, he had a unique and interesting POV on stuff, at least when I spoke with him about stuff.

I do like the word sardonic though. Ya don't hear it enough in convo. Always reminds me of Dr. Sardonicus.

deg

18. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Thicker skin? He needs a mile-thick neutronium skin, or something?

The thing is, he's right about this place. I'm one of those who do not agree with that same little clique, and as a result, you can get harrassed, insulted, trolled and whatnot and they get nothing. But if I so much hint at not having a perfect, impeccable, sweet, manners, and ole, there's another warning.

I myself have all but given up on this site. On a rare occasion when something interesting comes along in threads I'm already subscribed to I may comment, but anything new? Rarely if ever.

19. Vektor

Without singling out Cary or anyone else, I think far too many people here and elsewhere on the Internet are far too easily offended. Not to condone any kind of abuse or harassment, but the Internet is not a church social, and the sooner people understand that, the sooner they can stop writing three page rants about every perceived slight against their dignity and the injustice of the board management and get on with something productive.

And that’s all I have to say about the matter in this thread.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Well said!

Now, where are our updates? :D