I would have liked more episodes with Lore

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Shat Happens, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

good villain

2. Zarabeth

Zarabeth Ensign Newbie

Lore is fun. It would take a clever writer to avoid doing the same stories over and over with Lore. I liked the way the story was weaved into Star Trek Enterprise as Dr. Arik Soong. To me this was sort of the continuation of Lore.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Lore is fun? He sacrifices the Omicron Theta colonists to the Crystalline Entity, tries to do the same to the Enterprise-D, kills Dr. Soong, and appoints himself leader of rogue Borg on a scheme to rule the galaxy, but that's okay because he's a fun guy?

Although, maybe he could have salvaged Nemesis if Data hadn't disassembled him. It could have turned out that he'd been impersonating Data all along, and the android parts found during the dune buggy ride were really Data's. But then he probably would have blown up the ship or something.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Descent" was proof that we'd had too many.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Instead of Data transferring his "consciousness" to B4, somehow Lore could have ended up with it and been changed into a better android.

Then, out of guilt for all his misdeeds, he would have sacrificed himself.

6. Melakon

If you'd thought of that 13 years ago, you could have saved Nemesis.

7. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^THAT! yes.

I propose we petition Paramount to do a re-shoot on that basis.

If only. *weeps*

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I agree with the thread. Lore was one of Trek's best villains. He combined Data's powers and abilities with a lack of moral restraint, adding a sense of humor that made him one of the funniest villains as well. Think of when he tried on Geordi's VISOR or made up that rhyme about Dr. Soong's sons.

Then again, considering what happened to the Borg from over-use, maybe it was just as well they didn't have him in more episodes. Perhaps they would have had the same "how do you keep defeating a super-powerful villain without him losing effectiveness?" issue.

9. Melakon

My favorite Lore moment was when he sang a song I was familiar with from an old songbook published in the 1930s or earlier.

The sons of the prophet

Were valiant and bold

And quite unaccustomed to fear

But of all the most reckless

Or so I am told

Was Abdul Abulbul Amir.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was certainly fun to watch Spiner play him. I'm not one of the "Descent" haters. I like the episode well enough, though it pales in comparison to "Brothers". What could have made it a better episode would have been if the threat that I imagine was felt more, that threat being that Lore could have conquered the Borg. Frankly, apart from Q, Lore is maybe the most dangerous individual they've ever encountered. It isn't correct for me to say I'd want more episode with him, what I'd want is better writing for him, then more of it. The writers had run their course with him, but it didn't have to be so

Honestly, I feel the same way about Q. Tapestry felt to me like they had run the course with him too. Stewart & DeLancie saved that episode. The story itself is a rather weak rehash, the Star Trek: It's a Wonderful Life episode. Luckily, Q got redeemed in the final episode, sadly, Lore didn't get that lucky

I agree that the alternate Nemesis idea up thread is pretty cool

11. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I liked when Spiner played his dad better than Lore. And I thought he was hilarious in the Schizoid Man as well.

12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lore could've been so much more cool than the way he ended up being portrayed. He just came off as soap-opera'ish to me. I guess "they" were afraid of people liking the character better than Data. I don't know. Lore always seemed slightly cartoonish, like a mistache-twirling villian, from Days of Old ...

13. Melakon

Well, his saving grace was calling Wesley a troublesome little man child.

"Are you prepared for the death you've earned, little man?"

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit, I totally buy Bev's motherly concern in that sequence, which really sells Lore's threat. Gates gives a lot of weight to that scene - without it, it's just not as interesting, or effective. Some good acting, on her part ...

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, Wesley should've been bringing that up all the time;
    "Hey, remember when Data was replaced by Lore and I figured it out and you all kept telling me to shut up and he almost killed us all? Yeah, fuck you guys."

I wish they had figured out a way to keep Lore around, give him a redemption arc where he pays for his crimes.

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Maybe this would be a different thread, but it involves Lore.

Data is very useful and helpful, and in Measure of a Man they want to rip him apart to make more. They prove that they can't he owns himself. While that would mean there are rights of due process, why don't they use Lore for their dissassembled android? I think every starship could use a Data.

17. Melakon

Spock must have done a Vulcan memory wipe to make everybody forget Roger Korby had found an android factory.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Lore could have been turned into a more interesting villain but he never really was an interesting villain. Everything he did seemed more like evil for the sake of evil. For him to be a good villain he would have needed to have more long term goals that allowed his goals to align with the protagonists once in a while, so they could have a few plots where they are forced to work together briefly.

19. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That Data and the gang decided to deactivate end disassemble Lore was kind of assholy, after Data and Lal being determineted lifeforms and all.

In other words, Lore was summary executed. No trial, no jury. Way to go, heroes.

20. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Don't forget Harry Mudd's Androids R Us.

And the one that Sargon was building.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014