Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I don't know if a poll has been done here already, but I'm interested to see what people think of the couple.

Obviously, I think they're great! :techman:

They're so cute together, at least to me. :)

[​IMG]

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the relationship. I thought it brought out so much of young Spock. I loved the scene where she makes him change what ship she is on, she is certainly not some starry eyed cadet under his sway. I know a of people will soon post about how horrible it was that the older person in a position of power was sleeping with the young cadet but.. I do not care. It's a very hot relationship and they had better continue it! I also hope they expand her character a little more from clever hot chick with attitude.

NuSpock is one of my favorite characters ever.

I'm also an old school K/S shipper and I'm happy for that to keep pumping along.. ST:XI was the slashiest Trek ever by a mile. I'm pretty sure they knew what subtext they were playing when they did it that way, both the acting and the writing. So for ST:XII it looks like NuSpock will be getting both romance and delicious slashy subtext which will make him even more wonderful.

[​IMG]

NuSpock.. the wonderfulness continues

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That one kinda surprised me out of the nowhere it came, but hey it's a good way to get Uhura more screentime beyond answering the proverbial phone.

4. teacake

Didn't we see Kirk in bed with someone briefly in one of the trailers? And the assumption was that it was Uhura? I remember being just shocked it was Spock and then thinking.. "wow, this really works!"

5. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I like them in the original series. The scenes in Charlie X are great..

6. teacake

MY GOD get thee to a dvd shop!

Also: does this mean Uhura and Scotty won't be getting in on when they are older and paunchier like in V?

7. 1bulma1

1bulma1 Lieutenant Commander

My like for S/U came from the fact that Zack Quinto and Zoe Saldana where the actors and they are two of my favourites actors at the moment. Also the romance was done very well considering the fact that it was just a minor plot.

I have always said that S/U is very similar to the Aragorn and Arwen type of romance in the lord of the rings films where the couple get like 5-10 minutes on screen in a 3 hours film but we still get the whole story.

The S/U romance was not a cheesy , badly acted , unconvincing way over the top romance like anakin/padme from Star Wars or edward/bella from Twilight. it was about 2 believable people in a relationship, Which for star trek is how a romance should be.

However I only like S/U together in JJVerse alternate reality which is the 09 film and hopfully in the 2013 film.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

That's a very good comparison. They never take over the film, but there's just enough for you to get what's being conveyed. It truly is a beautiful love story. :)

Well, since you haven't seen them together in the film, here's my favorite fanvid of them. :D

Okay, well, embedding isn't working and uploading video isn't an option, so here's the link:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbMm5Envx8c[/yt]

[Embedded now. - M']

I really hope they build on this in the next movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was an interesting and surprising move. The bit in the turbolift seemed like it came from out of nowhere, but suddenly earlier scenes had a deeper meaning. And it even worked in a way with early scenes in the original series.

For this film, it made sense. Like the destruction of Vulcan, there was a shock value to it, but it also served to introduce genuinely new directions for Trek.

But.

I prefer the notion of Spock as the outsider. He's the alien who reflects on humanity, and this change humanizes him far too much. So while it worked for that one film, I think it works against one of the strengths of the original character.

I didn't vote in your poll, because there was no appropriate response that correlates with my opinion.

10. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted "Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together" because it was the closest to my opinion...

basically i couldn't really care... together or not together, it doesn't make a difference to me... as long as the writers do a good job of it, i couldn't care if Spock was making passes at Janice Rand lol

M

11. teacake

I am betting on them breaking up next film. For some dramatic and high minded reason. I would have speculated that they will kill off Uhura but since she was the only woman left after they offed Gaila (presumably) and Amanda and dropped Winona they can't really do that. She is their only woman left, though I presume there will be more in ST:XII.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's great. In TOS, Uhura had her flirty moments with Spock, and they played music together from time to time in the rec hall. Spock was always helping her up from the deck when the crew was flung around. Plenty of stuff for the ardent shipper to make hay of in TOS. It seems fine to me.

13. Nacluv

I think they should have augmented this, at least from Uhura with Spock intermittently being unaware of her advantages. Besides, it could have kept Chapel away from Spock to more extents.

I always wanted the Platonians to have forced Uhura and Spock into a kiss. If Janice Rand would still have been on the show, I'm sure the Platonians would have paired her with Kirk instead. Though I guess it's very much possible that then maybe Uhura wouldn't have been sent down at all and they still would have gone with Spock and Chapel.

14. teacake

But but but.. what about Uhura and Scotty getting it on in ST:V?!

15. Nacluv

She would not accept anything from Spock after Enemy Within! :lol:

16. teacake

Okay here we have FLIRTATION followed by a conflict in which Spock essentially says what he said in ST:XI.

"My demonstration of concern will not change what's happened."

"If crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise."

Only in ST:XI he's young, and given to sarcasm. By the TOS era he's lost all patience with this kind of human demands and he's curt and to the point.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkpk1yahnc[/yt]

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Spock and Uhura is fine. Good for them.

I strongly suspect one's gonna be rushing off the save the other in the next movie (the first batch of spy pics seem to confirm it) and whoever it is is gonna get told off by Kirk for disobeying orders etc etc then get the "...but I would have done the same thing." *meaningful look* at the end of the scene.
    :ack: :ack: Nu-uh.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

By the way.... you're not a true Spock/Uhura fan unless you have the official Star Trek Spock/Uhura Mr. Potato Head set!! :D
    [​IMG]

19. teacake

OH MY GOD.

20. teacake

And by that they will mean "I would have done the same thing for Kirk/Spock" right?