The Valeyard

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by EJA, Jan 10, 2010.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

For those who've seen the classic Sixth Doctor epic The Trial of a Time Lord, do you think there's any possibility of the new series ever featuring the Valeyard who, in the aforementioned story, was said to be some kind of evil clone of the twelfth or thirteenth Doctor?

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Valeyard is featured, then he must be made a more interesting character than he was in the "Trial" story line.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess we will have to see.

4. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Also, they must remember that he IS The Doctor, only corrupted and desperate.

I think it would be easy enough for The Valeyard to show up. If the potential for the Doctor to become The Valeyard still exists (Waters of Mars shows us that it does) then all The Valeyard has to do is travel back in time to a point where he has found a way to attack his younger self in an effort to steal the remaining regenerations somehow.

I'd like to see him reamed as well. The Valeyard beats The Doctor, but in the end one of the companions is able to reawaken compassion and goodness in The Valeyard, and he not only surrenders to The Doctor, but tells him how to prevent himself from ever coming into existence.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he is told to be an 'amalgamation' (sp?) between the 12th and 13th doctor. This to me, would mean that he is seperate enitity than the 13th doctor. The watcher in Logopolis was an 'in between' entity, I would guess the Valeyard is similar in that regard. What may have happend is the by the time the 12th doctor regerates he has built up alot evil/guilt and that is somehow purged when he regenerates creating the Valeyard.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

My first thought when they created the Metacrisis Doctor as that he's the one that ends up becoming the Valeyard.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

He sucked and should never be seen again.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the Valeyard (mostly due to Jayston's performance), but no... no... he should never show up again.

9. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

^Why not?

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, when the Valeyard sort-of appeared in the IDW Comics mini-series The Forgotten he was actually drawn to look like the Tenth Doctor.

I'd like to see something done with the Valeyard before Doctor Who finally ends, as it was a loose thread that was never tied up. Obviously, the role would have to be recast, but I'm sure Moffat or someone could come up with a storyline that resolves the whole Valeyard question once and for all.

I don't think the idea of making him the Meta-Crisis clone would work. Let's leave Rose to have a happy ending without that hanging over her head. But there are options, including the possibility that he wasn't a future incarnation of the Doctor at all. Considering how many aspects of the Trial storyline were altered to hide things from the Doctor, who is to say the Valeyard was really who he thought he was?

In fact, when I watched Trial again on DVD last year for the first time in ages, I immediately thought of The Trickster.

Alex

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I would love to see the Valeyard's return he'd make a great future villain for the Doctor.

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Remember, it's never said the Boatyard is between his 12th and 13th, but between his 12th and FINAL. Who knows just how many rengerations he has now, due to the time war?

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah would the Trainyard even exist anymore after the Time War?

14. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I hope that's not the reasoning they use for the Doctor having more regenerations now.

15. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

They brought the Master and Rassilon himself back from the dead. In The Five Doctors, the Time Lady offered the Master a whole new set of 13 regenerations. And for whatever reason, Susan is part of Rassilon's inner council. If they can do all of that, what would possibly stop them from giving all of the Time Lords/Ladies infinite regenerations?

16. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Most likely they will, though, unless Moffat or a future showrunner undoes the events of The End of Time. David Tennant is on record as saying a single line of dialogue along this lines would be enough to cover it off. It's also been implied rather strongly by the resurrection of the Master (not only in EoT, but the TV movie as well, and Keeper of Traken) that there are plenty of outs available for the Doctor -- including cloning himself.

If Doctor Who continues to be a cash cow for the BBC (or whoever owns it) by the time we finally get to the 13th Doctor, there is no way they'll allow the regeneration limit to stop the show. They might even just ignore it completely.

Alex

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

:shifty:

18. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

The Timelords aren't around now to give out more regenerations?

These things said, I've got a vague idea for a story that involves the Valeyard and could ultimately result in more regenerations for the Doctor. But that'd have to be a 13th Doctor story, and also tie in to the 12/13 regeneration. I also have an idea to bring back the Doctor's deadliest enemy of all: the Kandyman.

Moff, if you're reading...

19. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Wasn't the Valeyard in the original DW novel Matrix, published by BBC Books many years ago now?

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could live with the Valeyard being born during his twelfth life, as sort of a Master serrogate. But hopefully introduced properly as if he were a new chracter rather than a returning villain that only a small part of the audience will even remember. And hopefully without the goofy 'Valeyard' title.

Have no doubt that whoevers Producing when the Doctors final life will come up with an epic way of giving him more.