Nichelle Nichols' latest spin re MLK

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ssosmcin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that before of after she designed a working warp engine in 1967, gave it to NASA, but the public knows nothing about it because it was suppressed by the Johnson administration?

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope before she dies some superfan with balls of steel will stand up at a con and confront her about this story. The beatdown that fan gets will be legen--wait for it--dary. :guffaw:

4. Maurice

Until someone can come up with proof that a key part of her story changed, it really would be a pointless fan-said/she-said exchange.

5. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

I find the amount of anger and resentment being directed at Nichelle Nichols for such a minor reason to be rather ... odd.

6. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was just me. Some people on these boards, jeez. :rolleyes:

I wish they would live the woman alone. And they call themselves Star Trek fans....:scream:

7. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

It has the foul, too-familiar stench of hidden racism to it.

8. Maurice

If Walter Koenig claimed that that Spiro Agnew told him to keep playing Chekov and the details of his story changed from one telling to another we'd question that, too.

Loving the show doesn't equate to lionizing the people who made it, nor treating every word that comes from their lips as sacrosanct.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, I thought Al Gore did that...pretty darned sure...

10. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny how the shit people gave Shatner over his beahvior in the 70s and 80s wasn't motivated by anti-semitism. Or the criticism of Doohan's ego wasn't attributed to hatred of overweight Canadians. But call a black person on her BS and you're a racist.
    Hmmm... Pot? Meet kettle.

11. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Wel put, Maurice, and F-ing ritcheous word choice; "sacrosanct". :techman:

12. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I haven't found any anger or resentment, that is odd that you did. But maybe I missed it. Can you point it out?

13. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

My take is that when discussing production-related aspects of the show, most folks on here want to get to the bottom of things and determine (as closely as possible) what actually happened.

14. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see anger or resentment... I see some people who seem REALLY uncomfortable with the idea that an action might have multiple reasons, or the fact that old people forget crap. Or the scarier fact that if we tell ourselves stories long enough, they actually become true in our minds.

I also see a few people who are under the terribly mistaken impression that they're funny.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ What Maurice said.

If Nichols just stuck to that 1st version all along, there would not be the doubt or flat out rejection. But she changed this tale enough that it mirrors comic book retcons: new universe, new motives/situations from a familiar origin, etc.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, I figure let her have it. She really did meet Martin Luther King, Jr., and she did talk to him about her role on Star Trek, so whether she wants to embellish the tale, or truly believes it in its entirety, she's harming no one, she did have an important role, and I'd still love to meet her one day.

17. EnsignTOS

EnsignTOS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This. I agree wholeheartedly. :) And a huge "amen" to that last statement! I need to know how much it is to go to one of those Cons or at least write her a letter or something. (Her Twitter and Facebook accounts have all mysteriously vanished without a trace...:eek:)

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

They disappeared after her travelling companion was arrested for meth possession at LAX.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-treks-uhura-stopped-at-745576

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=257995

I don't know if he was the specific assistant who ran those accounts, though.

Anyway, I have met her a couple of times. She's very nice.

19. ClassicTrekker

ClassicTrekker Cadet Newbie

ROTFLMAO! Sir!