Borealis... Meh?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106350/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The brief slip of advertising I could be bothered reading before pushing the play bitton was "Deadwood, but 40 years in the future from now" so it ticked the boxes for a bad Canadian scifi 40 minute drama, it couldn't be worse than Total Recall or Tracker, but frakk me, this could be my new Lost Girl... It wasn't.

Bland and uninviting.

I know I shouldn't compare tis stump to Blade Runner but fuck me that was 30 years ago and they couldn't beat 30 year old special effects to explore Earth turned into the decline of the Roman Empire?

Staring Plough Guy as an retired cage fighter, who runs a bar, the legal side of customs as well as the illegal side of customs, and... Think White Lando Calrisian with no style and more forehead. So if Han ran the Star Wars Cantina?

I know the actors can pull their weight, I know their work, but what about the script? Although, the problem with pilots is that the producers are getting all their stupidly obvious shitty ideas out of their system before they actually have to poop or get off the pot.

I do see potential, but the pilot of Borelalis really did earn it's 3.8 out of ten on IMDB.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I was tipped off to this show on io9, and the article intrigued me enough that I checked it out... and I actually rather enjoyed it! I'm not so much into MMA, so the cage match didn't really do a lot for me, but I liked the premise, and the acting and production values were quite good, I thought.

Rather disappointed to see it didn't get picked up as a series; I would have liked to see where they went with it. I certainly would have watched.

For any Canadians who want to check it out for themselves, Space is streaming it here.

Oh, and it looks like its weighted IMDb rating is now up to 6.2, and the arithmetic mean rating is 8.3.

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it, thought it was pretty interesting. Sad that Space isn't even giving it a chance.