Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Thanks for the count. The Solitudes episode just mentioned SG-5. I feel like I'm filling in the gaps for the DS stations counting down from DS9. :lol:

1x17-Tin Man: I'm sure there is a good sci-fi episode to compare this to but once O'Neill opens his arm and I see servos I instantly just went TERMINATOR even though the theme of the episode is clearly not that. This felt like a filler episode as I'm not sure what was gained from it. The culture was long since dead. At best I'd say a team could be sent to learn from the data in the computers, maybe even go topside. It would be strictly a cultural study though and that isn't the main focus of the SG Program as we learned in the episode The Vox. Would be interesting to see the cyborg doppelgangers return at some point if only for a fake out death to full another enemy down the road. I also liked how the Gate opened in a building, just like our teams gate. Every time to date till this episode the Gate has been outside. Makes sense some other culture that had one would've moved it inside like we had.

1x18-Solitudes: Expanding on the fact the Gates were not Gou'ald tech and that it was possible the Gate system had been around for longer than originally thought made for a great episode imo. So if there are two Gates on Earth now where will the story go from here? That Antarctica Gate was functioning enough for incoming, I'm guessing it could be outgoing again as well? Also, Carter noted a cartouche she didn't recognize but was likely the symbol for "this world"(which was Earth) but she was essentially dialing home, hence the busy signal. So Earth was given a new cartouche at some point--to the one we know from the film? Interesting.

2. Captain Craig

1x19- There But for the Grace of God: When this episode opened with the team arriving inside a building I feared my disc had been repressed with Tin Man. I had an issue with The Nox, so thought it might have happened again. Turned out things were fine. I was wondering when I'd see a "Mirror Universe" type episode. It's a sci-fi staple. However, it seems that this episode is more Prophetic in nature, or as much so, than purely alternate universe(which it still is). I thought if I had one issue with the story is that it took Daniel over half the episode to go, "this seems to be an alternate universe from my own"

1x20- Politics: This episode felt very fluid and organic given that not only have they addressed an attitude from "higher ups" about the lack of advanced tech returned but it is a government installation. I like that the line item for SG command is "Area 52", nice touch. I'll need a shirt with that on it I think. I like that actor Ronny Cox was the asshole Senator determined to shut down "Area 52". The nod to Independence Day was nice, "...sure we'll just send up a ship and upload a virus to the mothership." While the episode ends with our Cheyenne complex essentially shut down I'm curious to see what happens next episode to reverse our fortunes. Or if the armada arrives that soon.
    An observational point here was that this was largely a flashback filled episode. Having also just recently finished MacGuyver they did that once a season there as well. Coincidence at this point? RDAnderson influence? He's not producer till later in the show right?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although RDA was a producer since the beginning, I don't think he ahd anything to do with the clip shows. At leat not yet. It's possible in the later seasons his availability necessitated the need for as many as they did, but this early I think it's more just a result of stretching the budget or meeting deadlines. Or both.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've never heard of a clip show that wasn't a means of saving money. Anyways, if they had to write RDA out of most or all of an episode, I imagine they'd just do that (as they did for a number of episodes in seasons 6-8), rather than do a clip show.

5. Captain Craig

1x21-Within the Serpent's Grasp: The finale to season one felt like a good build up from the prior episodes. The idea of a Gate on a ship is an interesting idea. I'm guessing when a Gate is on a ship there can only be so many "home addresses" for the DHD. Limiting the use by the ship then since as the episode showed that when the ship travels the Gate becomes useless for transportation. This season really moved faster than I expected. I figured an invasion of Earth by Ra might not come till at least next season. The little in joke with O'Neill asking if the "television like" device could pick up Showtime was not lost on me. Speaking of did fans know if there was going to be a season 2 when this cliffhanger season ended?

So far I'm happy with my blind buy of Stargate SG-1. Luckily I don't have to wait a year for Season 2, I just flip the page in my DVD set!!

6. The Wormhole

Although they kept that line for the DVD, whenever the episode airs on a channel other than Showtime, they have an alternate line with O'Neill saying "Mmmm, Goa'uld TV."

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

From: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Within_the_Serpent's_Grasp

"This episode contains the only scene produced especially for Showtime, not shown on the syndicated versions, but included in the DVD release. When seeing a floating metal ball, Teal'c explains "It is a Goa'uld long-range visual communication device, somewhat like your television, only much further advanced." In the Showtime version, O'Neill says "Think it gets Showtime?" In the other versions, Colonel Jack O'Neill says "Mmm... Goa'uld TV." Since Richard Dean Anderson is a fan of The Simpsons, the latter is one of many such in-jokes. "

8. gturner

gturner Admiral

I never knew that. :)

After it left Showtime they toned down some of the racier scenes it had, most obvious in the first few episode. As I recall, the premier had frontal nudity, and the Mongol warrior episode had Sam getting pretty close to becoming a sex slave.

9. teacake

I was :eek: at the nudity, full frontal indeed. Also some gore.

10. The Wormhole

No one involved with the show actually wanted to have nudity there, that was forced upon them by Showtime. But aside from that, there isn't that much in the Showtime years that's inapporpriate. Maybe some swearing. At least I assume in one episode where O'Neill describes Apophis as a "mother [brief silence] Goa'uld" there's supposed to be something in the brief silence and that O'Neill wasn't really calling Apophis a mother Goa'uld.

11. teacake

The nudity was the peak of envelope pushing so far :lol:

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

If HBO or a few others did the show these days, our typical thread title would be "SG-1 visits ANOTHER planet full of nekkid women - get's nekkid."

Yeah "Spartacus", I'm lookin' at you, among others! :lol:

13. Captain Craig

2x1-The Serpent's Lair: Good follow-up to the cliffhanger I thought. Wasn't sure how soon we'd see Bretac again. He was one nugget of knowledge I had coming in that I would see again. The cockiness and arrogance here on display that a few nukes should take them out again had me thinking Independence Day. Jackson uses a sarcophagus to recover from a shoulder wound taken earlier but the C-4 timers are ticking at the under an hour mark. I don't think it's been established that I've noticed but it's always seemed that the healing process in those takes time. I'm going with the idea that the more severe the injury the longer it takes. Is an "in universe" explanation ever given?

2x2-In the Line of Duty: So Carter is now infected by a Goa'uld but the twist is that it's essentially a rebel. I can't recall the name that was given for the "rebel alliance" of Goa'uld off hand but it seems likely this could be key later on. Just as some Jaffa are defecting so are some Goa'uld from their idea of Universal dominance and enslavement. I'm I reading too much in to think a type of Union vs Confederacy analogy is developing here? I just want it to play out better than using vamps and Abraham Lincoln. ;)

2x3-Prisoners: Interesting episode in that it seems our team has unleashed a threat to many worlds. I think Linea was called "the Destroyer"? The one flaw of logic I had was how she seemingly was allowed access to so much at SG Command. Her use of the coordinates for other worlds could prove quite bad, especially if she makes good on more biological attacks and a connection is made between Earth and her escape. This feels like an episode we will re-vist later. I also think this is the first time it's been shown how standing in front of the Gate when the Event Horizon forms is deadly. The smoking shoes was quite a sight. At least I don't recall this being mentioned before.

2x4-The Gamekeeper: Ah, Dwight Schultz as the Keeper on a planet that had at some time in it's past had an environmental bio/chem war that devastated the planet. The survivors created these devices that allowed them to survive similar to a cryo sleep was my guess. Meanwhile the planet has healed but the Keeper doesn't want his audience to know they can "wake up". He fears they will just destroy the world all over again. His fear reminded me in a nutshell of the axiom from nuBSG, "All of this has happened before and all of it shall happen again".

Good start to S2 imo. I split it up over the weekend and watched 2 eps Sat morning and two Sun afternoon cause the Titans game was not worth watching. If I hadn't had such a backlog of series on DVD to watch and 10 seasons wasn't an intimidating task I wish I had started on this sooner. I sat on this for awhile as I got through material with fewer seasons.

14. teacake

I'm pretty thrilled to have so much of a series I am thoroughly enjoying ahead of me. I don't know if we'll ever get ten seasons of one sci fi show again :(

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    ^ Highly unlikely :(

16. Captain Craig

2x5-Need: Interesting take here the native inhabitants beat the Gou'ald and to keep up appearances the leader of the revolt keeps the people enslaved for their "own good". He then mines the ore and keeps sending it through the gate. It's revealed that the healing power of the Sarcophagus when used on an already healthy individual has side affects, not to unlike addiction. Didn't see that twist coming as a story point. Since Hammond and SG command seemed to agree to help those enslaved and show them how to mine the ore this might be a world worth revisiting?

2x6-Thor's Chariot: This episode officially marks that things are moving faster than I had thought. Having not watched the show my thinking was that "gray Thor" was a product of the show when it went to the Sci-Fi channel. When in season 1 we had the episode Thor's Hammer that was the "groundwork" likely used by Sci-Fi to bring more "sci-fi" elements into the show. Apparently not, this episode clearly shows otherwise. I thought this was going to be a few seasons of mainly visiting worlds that just featured displaced Eath civilzations and how they still function according to the old or deviated from what we know. Almost a default Sliders if you will. While we've gotten some of that we've seen a few more non-human aliens than I thought. Thor's Chariot--no wonder the Gou'ald are fearful of the Asgardians. With a ship like that how is there even a war? I'm guessing then that the Gou'ald have plundered more powerful weapons? Something to make them a worthy threat for the title of war. Is it fair to say that since the Gou'ald are scavenger/warriors they have an overtone of the Borg. They assimilate technology and enslave those they encounter.

Great episode. Has me looking forward to more, especially as it pertains to the Asgardians but also that more avenues of interest will open up.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly sure that line about showtime was included why Sky aired it in the UK.

18. Captain Craig

2x7-Message in a Bottle: Probably the first episode I didn't find much to like. Probably doesn't hurt it comes after Thor's Chariot so the pendulum swing seemed greater imo. Felt like bottle show too much.

2x8-Family: Another return to Teal'c's family. This time with his son Rya'c being under Apophosis control. It seems Rya'c is fully brainwashed at this point. Shooting your child in order to try and rid him of a Jaffa is an emotional moment. Teal'c having a family moment was great to see since he's always so stoic. I doubt for some reason Rya'c is fully cured though. It seemed too easy the way it was done.

2x9-Secrets: Felt like a bottle show as well but this one actually injected a new sub plot into things. A traitor or leak is out there giving details to a media source about the Stargate program. Jack and Sam are going to be presented with awards by the President and I kept hoping for a Clintonian type actor to play as President but the story took us elsewhere. Carter's dad has cancer and I'm guessing that storyline is revisited down the line. Also this episode kinda carries over the "family" theme cause Jackson and Teal'c return to Abydos where it's revealed Sharay is pregnant and her Gou'ald has "gone to sleep" to allow for a healthy birth. I won't recap more but I am curious to find out how Sharay's story moves forward and if they find out who killed the reporter that had the Stargate info.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, they could've had Dr. Frasier do electro-shock therapy in a controlled environment, but as an alien carrying a larval Goa'uld symbiote, Tea'lc can't get health insurance because he's got a pre-existing condition, and his family just arrived and hadn't needed coverage yet. The health plan Tea'lc had under Aphophis expired 30 days after he turned sho'va, and of course as a cost-cutting measure the Goa'uld had convinced the jaffa that it's better to die in battle than become disabled.

So Tea'lc had to use a zat, only one step away from cauterizing a wound with a staff blast because he can't afford Neosporin.

Anyway, "Secrets" was a good episode, and I believe it marks the first appearance of Michael Shanks' daugher in the series, appearing as a fetus. Mom is the actresss playing Sha're. Does IMDB credit that? :confused:

When you say you expected a "Clintonian type actor" to play the President, I hope it doesn't refer to actors who grope their co-stars. ;)

The series does feature quite a few real Washington folks, including General John Jumper, Secretary of the Air Force, and perhaps another Secretary of the Air Force, sometimes in key scenes set in the SGC or the Oval Office. :)

Back in the 1960's Ernest Borgnine was called to Washington by the Secretary of the Navy, and he says he was nervous as could be because he had no idea what it was about. The Secretary told him that about 30% of new recruits were looking to join McHale's Navy, and this his show was having a tremendous impact. I think Stargate SG-1 had the same effect. :D

20. The Wormhole

John Jumper and his predecessor Michael Ryan were actually the US Air Force Chief of Staff when they had their appearances on SG-1. Secretary of the Air Force is a different job.