Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I never get tired of these comparison pictures between Gal Gadot, Lynda Carter and Jamie Alexander.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I believe that Jamie Alexander either turned down the role or Wonder Woman who said she would if asked, becasue she thinks it's not a very serious part.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In retrospect even Lynda Carter doesn't look the part. :lol:

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I've always thought of her as the quintessential Wonder Woman.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Like Christopher Reeve a lot of it can be traced back to what you grew up with. I was never big on the series so I never gave it a lot of thought. But later as I saw more of Wonder Women in comics and other media I found Lynda Carter didn't gel with the impression of the character I was getting. I think the DCAU Wonder Woman feature from a few years ago as well as other appearances in the animated features is much better than any live-action depiction I had ever seen before, and that definitely includes Lynda Carter.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm the opposite. I often find myself comparing the comic or animated versions of Wonder Woman to Carter and find them lacking. It's a combination of having gotten too attached to her as well as thinking that she captured the character perfectly. That never happened with Christopher Reeve.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, she totally looks like a soldier :rolleyes: I know she was in the military for two years, but you could never tell by looking at her, and that's what we're talking about. Regardless of what she did in real life, it obviously hasn't effected how she looks nowadays, and probably didn't effect her build that much at the time. She would need to look like a warrior now, and having once been in the military years ago means less than nothing.

Maybe if WW was going around shooting people, Gadot could look capable with a gun or something. But, even if it turned out her military training included reflecting bullets with bracelets, training with swords, shields, arrows and other ancient weapons and a heavy emphasis on old style unarmed combat that she trained in daily since she was a child (all three scenarios I find very unlikely) her being in the military does not qualify her for WW. Even if my blatantly rediculous (but WW accurate) requirements for what she did in the military were correct, she'd just be a twig that could kind of fight like WW. Now, goyer will probably just have her punching stuff, which would be unbelievable enough, but the more combat oriented skills of WW are things to consider, although not as important to this discussion as the fact that she doesn't look like she could beat up a 5 year old, much less have been training since childhood, or even young adulthood, as any kind of fighter.

Also, from wikipedia

Yeah, I'm sure she looked totally different when she was in the military, and because of it she's totally qualified to be WW :lol: Now wikipedia could be wrong, but it has a link to the source of the info, which is on a page with an interview with her that looks legitimate, the page says she joined the military after becoming a model and that she was still modeling during her service. So, even when the woman was a soldier, she was still a skinny model.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Can you find something in another thread to baselessly bitch about? We're tired of it here.

Or better yet, find something in another thread you actually like instead of bitching about everything?

9. kirk55555

I just keep responding to people who are responding to me. Also, I don't bitch about everything, far from it. But, I'm not going to choose what I post based off of not wanting to disagree or if disagreement annoys people who don't like people disagreeing with them. God forbid there be differing opinions on the internet :lol:

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

You're derailing this thread, don't you see that?! There are people out there who are genuinely interested in discussing how Gadot will fit in as Wonder Woman and you're stupid bitching is driving them away.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

post proof or retract. I think you'll find the majority of the people on this forum know you for one thing.
    That's fine. We've heard your opinion. Repeatedly. In stupefying length. We find your opinions pointless and a drag on the thread. Go find something else to bitch about until you actually have something new and interesting to add here.

12. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

WORD.
    OF.
    GAWD!

:devil::devil::devil:

13. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I'm trying to figure out the basis for your opinion.

Have you ever done any physical exercise? If so, what was your age when you did it? What type of exercise did you perform? How long and with what frequency did you do keep with the exercise? What was your calorie and fat intake during the exercise period?

Have you ever done any directing? Have you ever done any acting? If you have acted, how many directors have you worked with? If it was more than one director, were the directors of differing backgrounds with regards to training, style, etc.?

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who remembers what the "real" Guy Gardner used to call Wonder Woman?

16. kirk55555

Well, if by not bitching you can include just talking, both positive and negatives, about watching stuff, I spent months (and got to 65 pages in the topic) of talking about watching Babylon 5 and Farscape. It wasn't all positive, but it was more about talking about the tv shows as I went, and not about "bitiching". I was just relaying my experiences, most of which were positive and the negatives were mostly episode/story specific, and more specific critisism than "bitching". I got flack for some opinions, mostly about Farscape, but I'd still say it never reaching the point of bitching, just talking about some negatives. Same with my much shorter thread in the doctor who section about watching the post 2005 stuff. I'm also usually positive when its not a thread involving JJ abrams, Christopher Nolan or David S. goyer's work (or Netflix, but even I think, in retrospect, that I was being an ass with that whole argument in the Marvel netflix show thread).

I've also posted a lot of posts that weren't bitching just around trekbbs in general. I'll concede that, in this general Sci Fi and Fantasy section for the forum, I have ended up doing a lot of arguing, and I do get so caught up in responding to people responding to me that I probably keep arguing past where I should just stop, cool down and leave the thread. I totally admit I can be an ass, am easily engaged in arguments, and even regret some things I post in the heat of the moment.

This WW thing has gone too far. What gets me with this topic is that her supporters seem to just ignore the people who don't like her, to the point of just not wanting any discussion about whether of not she's good for the role. So I try to express the other point of view, then just get stuck in a cycle of arguing it. I won't agree with her supporters, and they won't agree with me, I get that, but I'm easily baited (even if its unintentional on the other person's part) into just replying and replying when I should just exit the conversation. That's how I get about a lot of topics, which leads to my reputation for bitching, which at this point is fairly well deserved. But, its not that I like to bitch, I just have strong opinions, and get a bit annoyed when it seems like dissenting opinions get dismissed just because its somehow wrong to be critical of something.

In relation to this topic, I'll admit I probably have delevoped a slightly irrational hatred of Gadot just because I've been arguing about her so much. Trying to be subjective and not posting because I'm annoyed or angry, in reality Gadot is probably a better actress than people like Megan Fox, and it is unfair to judge her acting ability just based off my hatred of her type of character from F&F (and I do hate that cliche/achetype). From an acting perspective, she could do a fine job, or she could completely blow it with Christian Bale levels of horrible superhero acting.

I stand by my thinking that Goyer can't write a good female character to save his life, so WW is probably screwed regardless of the actress, and that physically Gadot doesn't (and almost certainly won't/can't) look like WW should look in live action. But those are arguments that I'm just ready to admit won't go away, and its become beyond pointless to try to argue them. We'll never agree, so until some big development comes (like images of her in costume or more details about her role) its best to just stop harping on the differences in opinion and getting carried away with them, which I'll take full responsibility for doing in the last few pages. Also, just so its known, I saw Tyberius's post a few posts back about my opinion, and I had a long reply typed up, but I'm just going to try and leave the argument now. I may respond to stuff, like any responses to this post, but I'm honestly going to try to just leave this argument now. My opinion has been stated (probably way too much) so its about time to be done with it. At least until we get more specific info, which probably won't be for awhile.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What is the big deal with actually waiting to pass judgement on Gadot? Are you afraid if you wait, you might actually like her?

Seems like you're bound and determined to paint yourself into a corner with little information.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I thought all four of the major female characters in Man Of Steel were strong well written characters. Faora, Martha. Lois and Lara were all good female characters and were played by good actresses.

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That is quite enough from both of you.
    kirk55555, don't you feel this horse is beyond death by now? It's time to move on to another subject.
    sojourner, better to let the moderators give out the directions.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Found some more celebrities air brushed into Wonder Woman.

http://archives-lepost.huffingtonpost.fr/article/2010/06/15/2115238_qui-pour-wonder-woman.html

The oddest thing I'm seeing in that link is that Lynda Carter has (probably momentarily after a lot of tanning at the beach) darker skin than Beyonce.

(They just stuck Beyonce's head on Lynda's body.)

I saw Sophia Bush on Myth Buster's last night dressed up as Princess Leia for their Star Wars Special, and I had never noticed the shiny PVC boots on underneath that I'm assuming authentic costume, but as Sophia was swinging across a 30 foot divide, testing the movie, I'm trying and failing to find an unobstructed view to see how far up her thigh they went.

Wonder Woman is a thousand times more about her Boots than Leia could ever be.

We shouldn't be arguing over the weight of Gal's shoulders and biceps, we should be arguing over her shoe size.