How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So many good episodes lately, and then we got this one. I am going to answer the phone with 'Ahoy' for the rest of the week.

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it seems they're throwing the Marshall runs for Judge plot line out the window...

Wasn't too impressed with last night's. it was okay at best. Some funny moments, but few and far between.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I still don't buy the idea of being an art consultant as a dream job of Lily's. She isn't being an artist. It's kinda like someone who wanted to be an architect designing homes from childhood into late 20s, working as a realtor and calling it a dream job.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How long as Marshall even been an attorney? Under NY law, most judicial offices beyond town justice require at least five years admission to the bar.

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^He has been a lawyer for well over five years. He finished law school quite early in the series.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Agreed, pretty mediocre. The best part was when Ted tried to call Barney out on his behavior and Barney shot him down. The show is great when it does serious moments like that, and it was the best part of the episode.

And I never did give it a whole lot of thought, but they never went anywhere with that idea of having Marshall become a Judge did they? I don't recall hearing about it after the episode where he mentioned it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

In that episode, the judge he was speaking to said it would probably take months for...whatever the process is to happen. So I figure we'll hear something new about it by the season's end.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It may well be what keeps them in New York.

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The whole episode didn't make much sense, I don't think the art world is nearly that insular so a semi-permanent relocation to Italy would be necessary to investigate and buy contemporary works of art in that country.

And I was sad that Marshall's firm is such a failure, but I guess they needed that as a plot device to get him to do something different in the future.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

This episode was probably written at a time where Jason Segel's contract for season 9 was in flux. The whole "move to Rome" thing could easily have been their get out of jail free card. They can introduce the plot, and then take it either direction they need; either Marshall and Lily do in fact move to Italy at the end of the season (Jason leaves the show), or they don't (Jason stays on the show).

It's merely setting up his departure/not departure, so that in the finale it doesn't seem so sudden.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And it DOES call back the judge plot when they talk about why the firm is dead. Quick mention of Marshall's friend and that case that sank them...

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That was one of the funnest episodes of 'Mother in a while. I loved all the callbacks to earlier episodes, plus the kicker: Barney finally getting to meet the "Karate Kid." I'm so glad I didn't spoil myself on this episode cause the twist was fantastic, I almost felt bad for Barney there when he looked down and out.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Another great episode! I was actually quite surprised that the whole thing was a con on Barney. Great twist!

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was the perfect payback for "The Final Play". If he expected Robin to forgive him for that, he had to be willing to take an equally spectacular prank in return.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I actually predicted the twist very early on, but I didn't guess that everyone was in on it. And that ending was fantastic. :lol: Great episode.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Was that an inverted Scooby-Doo ending? :guffaw:

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty funny episode, but I didn't see that twist at the end coming though.

18. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I didn't see the "Karate Kid" finish with the clown... but other than that, it was a fun and predictable episode.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

No, I didn't either. It was a good HIMYM episode---one of the most amusing in quite some time.

20. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a great idea, making Ralph Machio <sp?> be a mirror to Barney!