Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Mass Effect 3 *spoilers*

On the heels of rumors that Mass Effect 3 will be unveiled at the VGAs (and that multiplayer will be announced too), the first synopsis for the game has accidentally been leaked via EA's online store.
    I, for one, cannot wait to lead an interstellar taskforce comprised of turians, salarians, asari, geth, krogan, quarians, and rachni in a bid to defend Earth.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Assimilated Tom

Assimilated Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, this would certainly fuck me over for what I did in Mass Effect 1.

'Bout fucking time. :techman: Didn't seriously expect to get away with that scot-free.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I was hoping we'd get to see Earth in ME3. :techman:

I'm curious to find out how exactly the Reapers managed to sneak back into the galaxy without being detected. Hopefully it's because they had another Citadel-type mass relay hidden somewhere. It seems silly that they wouldn't have built a backup.

4. PsychoPere

Since the synopsis says we'll have to take back Earth, maybe the Reapers do have another hidden mass relay - that just so happens to be very near Earth. Goodbye, Pluto?

5. Skywalker

But there's already a regular mass relay orbiting Pluto--it was frozen over until it became an ice ball humanity named Charon. Seems silly to put two mass relays in such close proximity to one another. Then again, I tried to argue the same thing about the Omega-4 Relay being in the same system as another relay and being made to look so different and unique from every other relay, which would only make people more curious about where it goes, rather than less curious, but nobody agreed with me on that one. :lol:

I don't see the Reapers putting another huge relay like the Citadel, especially one that's meant to be a backup in the event of the Citadel failing, in a star system containing a habitable planet that might spawn a sentient, spacefaring species one day. It'd make more sense for them to build it in another defensible location like the Widow Nebula, where they built the Citadel, in some corner of the galaxy where organics aren't likely to find it.

6. PsychoPere

Damn, good point. I had forgotten where humanity first discovered the mass relays.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait. Ever since reading the codex entry for Earth and driving the mako on the Moon, I've wanted to visit Earth. It's a pity that by the time I finally get there it will be a war-torn wasteland.

I just finished off a third playthrough of ME1/2 with an all-Paragon FemShep that saved the whole team... except for the crew, they all died. I plan to do one more before ME3 comes with an all-Renegade ManShep that gets almost all of his crew killed.

Hmm. In my main game I let the council die, so I probably can't count on the Asari, Turians or Salarians. And I took a neutral stance on the Quarian/Geth conflict, so they might be busy killing one another by the time of ME3. I did save the Rachni Queen and the genophage cure, so I might be able to count on the Rachni and Krogan. So I'll be saving Earth with the support of a small group of nearly extinct aliens, and aliens that enjoy killing each other.

Earth is doomed. :(

8. Skywalker

It's going to be fun playing out all the scenarios. I've got five different Shepards:

One who was full Paragon, saved the Council, spared the rachni queen, spared Wrex and saved the genophage research, rewrote the geth heretics, supported peace between the quarians and geth, and destroyed the Collector base.

One who was full Renegade who sacrificed the Council, killed the rachni queen, spared Wrex but destroyed the genophage research, destroyed the geth heretics, supported the quarians retaking their homeworld, and kept the Collector base.

One who was a Paragon/Renegade mix who sacrificed the Council, spared the rachni queen, spared Wrex and saved the genophage research, rewrote the geth heretics, supported peace between the quarians and the geth, and kept the Collector base.

One who was a Renegade/Paragon mix who saved the Council, killed the rachni queen, spared Wrex but destroyed the genophage research, destroyed the geth heretics, supported the quarians retaking their homeworld, and destroyed the Collector base.

And one who was a Paragon/Renegade mix who ended up mostly the same as the full Paragon, except he sacrificed the Council and generally did things in a much more neutral fashion. He also ended up with the highest number of casualties in the Suicide Mission.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if anyone did get curious enough to use the Omega Relay, without a Reaper IFS they would likely die the moment they came through as the would be spit out of the safe zone, and all those people going through and never returning might scare others into avoiding it.

10. Skywalker

True, but it's still too big a risk for the Reapers to take. Anyone paying attention would have wondered why nobody ever returns from the Omega-4 Relay, and would have started researching why it kept happening. Eventually someone would have theorized that the relay might lead to someplace where the standard drift of several thousand kilometers could prove fatal, such as an asteroid field or a highly dangerous area like the galactic core. Then maybe they would have sent some sort of unmanned ship with a mass effect drive to traverse the relay and send back data before it was inevitably destroyed.

The basic point being: it makes no sense if you look at it from an in-universe perspective, leaving the only rational explanation for why the Omega-4 Relay looked so different being "it looks cool."

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I rather suspect the Reapers' sudden return might have something to do with those stars behaving strangely and emitting dark energy readings. Perhaps an ad hoc version of a Mass Relay or some other even more advanced technology they left behind as a redundancy.

Not sure if I like the idea of multi-player being tacked on.

12. Hartzilla2007

True, also I think another reason for the Omega Relay's look might be to make it look kinf of sinister, I mean to me it kind of gives off a portal to hell kind of vibe.

13. Skywalker

That's my assumption, as well. All the talk about dark energy and stars aging faster than they should sounded like setup for ME3.

And I hate the possibility of multiplayer in ME3. If they want to make a multiplayer game in the ME universe, fine, but leave it out of the main games.

14. TheGodBen

Competitive multiplayer wouldn't be something I'd be interested in, but the game is almost screaming out for a co-op mode. One person could play as Shepard and make all the decisions, while I could play as Garrus. I'd stop playing singleplayer altogether and I'd just stick to being Garrus 100% of the time. :mallory:

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As mentioned elsewhere, BioWare needs to get out of the "recruitathon" style of storytelling, especially when this was basically the plot of Dragon Age.

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I think that the next game is going to be about the construction of another Mass Relay.

It doesn't make sense that if they had a standby that they would use the Second Mass Effect to just tell about a Huge Reaper and a recruiting process if there was a Second Relay some way. They said at the end "we'll find another way" not we have alternatives.

Theirs a Mass Relay being built somewhere where we don't know and it's going to be finished and the forces of all the Reapers are will class head to head with Forces of the Galaxy, the Rachni the Salarians, the Krogan, the Asari, the Batarians, the Quarians the Geth.

It's going to be about maintaining the alliances we've made to finish the job.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

What Harbinger had the Collectors doing and what the other Reapers were doing aren't mutually exclusive activities. Nothing about building a human Reaper does anything to get the other Reapers back from dark space and so it's failure wouldn't directly impact any endeavour to that end.

When Harbinger actually said was: -

"Pathetic human. You've changed nothing. You have merely attracted the attention of those infinitely your greater. Those you know as Reapers shall be your salvation through destruction. You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control."
    It's all there. Stopping the Collectors didn't change their plans, just caused them to target Earth first.

I suppose it's also possible "You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control." was all directed at the Collector general rather than Shep, but it makes little difference either way.

So you'll spend 90% of the time hanging around in one spot, waiting for the other player to come talk to you? ;)

18. TheGodBen

I had assumed that they were going to use the human Reaper (along with another Geth heretic fleet) to launch another attack on the Citadel and activate the relay to dark space.

I'll spend that time doing important calibrations! :p

19. Hartzilla2007

Well depending on how the suicide mission went you should already have a full crew unless they want to blow the Normandy up again, of course if they do they Shepard wants a bar in the new new one.

20. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I'm pretty sure that last bit was directed at the Collectors.
    It seems clear to me that whatever the Collectors were doing with that absurdly large cyborg it had something to do with another relay.

Clearly Shepard had already attracted the attention of the Reapers when he stop the first Geth Invasion of the Citadel. They hunted down the Normandy and attempted...(shrug) consume? Sheppards body for some reason like he was special or something.

I got no sensation of a Grand Plan in the 2nd Mass Effect it was all Exposition and Recruiting which to me is just an extention of the First Game.

If they already had that Mass Relay they would have used it in the two year interval...clearly they had plenty of minions to activate it...the Geth and Collectors combined. Infact I find it rather odd that the Collectors weren't part of the first invasion....makes no sense. It would be lame to do another...lost relay...they've done it twice now and to go back to the same barrel...would be flat after what they achieved in the First Game.

No..it only makes sense if some where another mass relay is being built. It's like the Supergate from Stargate. The First Gate was pure miss direction, the second gate was built elsewhere away from the Milky Way's attention and from there a Beach head was established. Remember these guys built the Mass Relays...they can build another when ever the wish.

-------

One things for sure...I could never see how the Galaxy could survive if that Dark Relay gets built and the Reapers come through. It would have be limited somehow...I mean we're obviously building up to a climatic end where huge fleets will be needed both ground and Space....Either that means the Reapers are massing minions elsewhere or the Reapers actually succeed in coming through the Relay...

If that happens...
    I think this will be one of THE Greatest Games in History.