Typhon Pact/TNG timeline

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jhempel24, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jhempel24

jhempel24 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just curious, as I'm getting back into Trek novels, how do the TNG and Typhon Pact novels intersect?

I've read up to Indistinguishable From Magic, and have read up until Plagues of Night in the Typhon Pact series.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to continue?

Also, have they abandon the DS9 series?

Thanks!

2. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

The blurb at the front of Typhon Pact/Zero Sum Game says it's 3 years after the events in Nemesis.

3. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The story from Plagues of Night concludes in Raise the Dawn, then the next TNG/Aventine novel is Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship, followed by the TNG Cold Equations trilogy.

You're already quite near the leading edge of the novel continuity, but you might find the reading order flow chart created by Thrawn and myself useful to navigate your way between the various series.

And as you should know if you've read Plagues of Night, DS9 is still very much continuing!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've also got another DS9 focused novel coming out at the end of the year, in the form of the first book in the new post-Typhon Pact miniseries, The Fall: Revelations and Dust.

5. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

And if you want more DS9 then keep buying and voicing your support for it! The Fall will have DS9 stories as well as threads in each of the books so lets make sure Pocket knows we support more DS9 stories with our pocketbooks!

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Note to CBS/Pocket Books: I bought Allegiance in Exile just for the Ascendants. :techman:

7. Enterpriserules

That is awesome! David said, when we talked to him on Literary Treks, that the reason he put the Accendants in the book was to keep them at the forefront of people's minds so that hopefully that story can be fully told!

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. I hope he can pitch something soon.

9. Enterpriserules

Lets hope the sales of his latest DS9 books and The Fall sell very well so that Pocket will give us more!

10. PhaseIIforever

PhaseIIforever Ensign Red Shirt

Are there going to be more books in the novel timeline after the Fall? Are they going to embrace stories from other sources like Data in charge of the Enterprise-E, the destruction of Romulus, and Bacco only serving one term? I'm buying and enjoying everything in the novel timelines and will continue to do so.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No reason why there wouldn't be.

The destruction of Romulus is canonical, so presumably the books will have to stay consistent with it. The other things you mention are from other tie-ins and thus the novels aren't obligated to follow them. Usually different tie-in companies have gone their own separate routes; overlaps have occasionally happened, but they're the exception, not the rule.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't things already diverged pretty far from what was established in the lead up to STO? I'm not 100% up to date on either one, but that is the impression I've gotten from previous conversations here.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Trek lit has made some big changes, blown up things, razed planets and killed off characters that are still a part of STO's world.

That said, the novels may incorporate a few of STO's ideas (IIRC, one of their Klingon ship classes cropped up in Zero Sum Game), like STO borrowed characters and events from the novelverse.

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Since STO borrowed Bacco, I'm wondering if the novels will borrow Okeg. Will it be him running against Bacco in the upcoming election? We'll see!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually they were divergent from the start. While STO's "Path to 2409" did crib a few ideas and characters from the novels, it also ignored/contradicted most of the events of the DS9 Relaunch, the Titan novels to that point, and Articles of the Federation. There was never a point at which Pocket and STO had compatible continuities, nor was there ever intended to be.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Path_to_2409#Discontinuities

16. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is Typhon pact as it relates to Deep space 9 i have read all the relaunch from TNG, VOY and titan, but not DS9 as i have been having trouble finding copies of the books as I only got in to relaunch a year or so ago and have been buy them as soon as I can find them.
    SO my question is do I need to have read the DS9 Relaunch to understand the Typhon pact zero sum game?

17. F. King Daniel

No you don't. Taking place a few years after the last DS9 novel and beginning new story arcs, it's a good start point.

I read it without having read most of the prior DS9 novels, and didn't feel like I was missing out.

18. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you. i was hoping i did not need to read DS9 relaunch as i have no way of getting them ATM as they are really hard to find.
    If any one knows a way to get the DS9 relaunch quick and easily that would be helpful as I would hope to read them some time soon

19. F. King Daniel

I think either Amazon or eBay for cheap used copies, or e-books for "new" ones, would be your best bet.

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If for some reason you don't do eBooks:

Twist of Faith collect the first four novels plus the novella from the 7th Gateway book.

These Haunted Seas collect the first two Mission Gamma books.

Those two books are available new at Bookdepository.com (free worldwide delivery, see links above), but after that you would indeed have to haunt the used book stores I guess.