Spoilers TNG: The Stuff of Dreams by James Swallow Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Rate The Stuff of Dreams.

1. Outstanding

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. Above Average

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That's a reference to the last book of the Cold Equations trilogy, where there was a Machine that was eating stars (not a spoiler, it appears on, like, page 2).

2. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Ah, I see. I am way behind on TNG stuff and I'm reading things out of order. Thanks!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They do move away from the politics a bit more once you get past The Fall.
    If you're going to be reading them anyway, I'd recommend trying to read them in order if possible. You don't have to, but you get a lot more out of them if you follow the order they came out.

4. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Thanks for the comments!

Kolb was an all-new character for this story. He's named after director Winrich Kolbe.

If I recall correctly, she briefly reprises her role of bartender on the Enterprise-E, but she leaves a few years before this story takes place.

I must have missed those comments back in 2013! There's nothing odd there, bfollowell has it right.
    Unable to live with the loss of his family, Kolb from the "present" travels back to 2381 to die with them on Deneva during the Borg attack - but the 2381 version of him is still out there at that point in history and still suffers through the loss...ultimately leading to the events that take place in the novella and him traveling back to die in 2381. Events don't change.