Romulan Wars delay

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Randy Hall, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I saw this note from Lee Gattrell over at Facebook, and I figured I should pass it along.

>>Due to consequences beyond my control the upcoming premiere of Star Trek: The Romulan Wars will not be releasing any episodes at this time. It appears it will be sometime next year or later.

Please accept my apologies.<<

Sigh. I was so looking forward to watching that.... :vulcan:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You posted the exact same thing in your Upcoming Productions thread. Isn't this thread a bit redundant?

3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

That seems so extreme. Are you sure it's legit? I just looked at the Romulan Wars website and facebook page, and I didn't see it on either of them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. Captain Randy Hall

From my experience, not every visitor goes to every thread and reads every entry.

I know that I've overlooked a thread or three when I was in a hurry to get out the door. And if some people only check the Upcoming thread on Friday, when I refresh the list of projects, they'd go until the end of the week to find out about Romulan Wars.

Now, if I'd posted the same entry in all threads in this folder, I could see that as a problem. But the newsman in me learned about this happening mere days before an episode was due to be released. I don't think two posts were overdoing it.

5. Captain Randy Hall

I wasn't happy to learn about this, either. In fact, I was kicking myself for not having come across this since last Friday, which means the story was three days late.

I don't think Lee Gartrell will be particularly uphappy with me if I post a link to the source of this information: http://www.facebook.com/lee.gartrell. (and you can sign in as one of his friends while you're there).

They've had several days to correct the posting if it's not accurate, but that hasn't happened.

6. Barbreader

OK, I'm not anxious to 'friend' somebody for it. I don't understand why they still have a banner up on their website saying the Wings of Icaris is "Coming Soon" publicly. http://www.stromulanwars.com/index.html . I know they have begun filming episode 6. http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=77&mforum=startrekromwars . But that notice is pretty unambiguous, and I can see this guy's photo around the Romulan Wars website. I hope they take their front page announcement down in the next few days.

I'm so glad Star Trek Reviewed has a no pre-release announcements policy.

7. doubleohfive

If you had posted it in every thread in the forum, it would be spam. As it is, you started a whole new thread with the exact same, word-for-word post from your upcoming productions thread.

Justify it all you want, but the lack of original thought and the general lazy approach is undeniably redundant.

On topic: It sucks about the delay, but as with everything, when it's ready, it's ready. Expecting people to hold fast to arbitrary dates to release these things is ridiculous when stacked up against the everyday responsibilities we all have.

8. Captain Randy Hall

>>If you had posted it in every thread in the forum, it would be spam. As it is, you started a whole new thread with the exact same, word-for-word post from your upcoming productions thread.

Justify it all you want, but the lack of original thought and the general lazy approach is undeniably redundant.<<

Sorry, but no more flame wars with me. When I got the news about Romulan Wars, I thought it deserved its own thread and a mention in the Upcoming thresd. There's nothing lazy about posting something reasonably important in two spots in case someone missed it in the other thread.

What I find redundant is your constant attempts at baiting me by complaining about every little detail in the threads where I post when I'm working hard to keep readers in this forum informed.

The only question for me was after starting its own thread, should I put it in the Upcoming folder? Since it was a pretty short item, I figured that people who only go there on Fridays might do so if they see something new has been added.

And that's it. If I came across a similar story under the same circumstances, I'd do the same thing even if one person were to complain about it.

9. doubleohfive

First of all, please point out --in either of my two other posts in this thread-- where I flamed you.

Can't see it? That's probably because I did not flame you. If you think I'm flaming you Randy, there's a little button, a red triangle with an exclamation point in it, where you can notify the moderators. Otherwise, kindly drop the victim-complex b.s.

All I did was point out the redundancy of this thread. If you'd bothered to write a little more about the topic here, rather than just be lazy about it, it probably wouldn't have been something to point out. As is, I simply asked if anyone else thought it was redundant. There's a world of difference between asking a question and flaming.

As for our previous interactions, I have no interest in rehashing the situation with you Randy because you've proven time and again --even in here-- that you are unable to be reasonable about anything.

Is this thread redundant? Yes. To the point at which I question it's necessity, given that your "Upcoming Productions" thread is seemingly the place for these kinds of updates, isn't it? Isn't that the mission statement of that thread to begin with?

10. Captain Randy Hall

As I said, no more flame wars with me. All this over two posts that were put out there to help people in this forum be informed about fan films/independent porductions, which all of us enjoy. So far I've had one complaint. Any others?

11. doubleohfive

Where did I flame you?

12. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. You can't seem to get your information correct before you post it.

The official site now says the episode will likely be finished in July. That's a pretty far cry from "next year or later."

Here's a thought...if you want to be the voice of upcoming fan Trek productions, how about you actually check with officials at the productions before you post misinformation about their work? Facebook gossip is a really poor source.

Informing people about upcoming productions is all fine and dandy...passing around unsubstantiated rumors is kind of junior high school, don't you agree?

13. Barbreader

He quoted a quote from a producer's blog. I have been in contact with the producer and that quote was accurate at the time he quoted it. There were developments that put off the completion of the episode. Those developments were initially likely to cause major delays, but have been reduced.

This is, for the umptidumth time, why I don't do this. Any fan episode will be just as much fun to watch two weeks after release as the hour it is released. There is no reason to create an 'upcoming' list, because the producers themselves don't know if they will have a car crash, a computer crash, a friendship crash, or any other type of personal real life problem which can get in the way of Trek.

There is no such thing as an accurate thread that speaks of future fan film releases. Complaining that such a thread is inaccurate is like complaining about gravity. Except, you can't help dealing with gravity. You can choose to not read a future releases thread.

I try to keep track, on my website, of what HAS BEEN released. You can't watch what will be released tomorrow today, anyway, so what does it matter? That is not an option. I do, to keep my own listings current, try to keep track of future releases, BUT I DON'T put that information on the website, or here. MOST OF THE TIME, not just once in a while, that changes. This is not Randy being inaccurate, this is the producers having a difficulty, and the scope and nature of that difficulty changing. Right now, they think they can get it together in July. Guess what? No contract exists. If it takes until August, they won't release it until August.

There was a time I worked as a Wall Street Economist projecting the future. I got out of the prophesy business. I now leave that to Isaiah and his buddies. Any thread about the future is, by its very nature, inaccurate and subject to change as the future arrives.

I just wish/hope JJA Trek discovers itself in an entirely different time line with no clone wars in the 1990s. Even Eugene Roddenbury wasn't right about every aspect of the future. I hope you aren't holding your breath for the Vulcans to arrive on April 5, 2063.

14. Captain Randy Hall

>>He quoted a quote from a producer's blog. I have been in contact with the producer and that quote was accurate at the time he quoted it. There were developments that put off the completion of the episode. Those developments were initially likely to cause major delays, but have been reduced.<<

Glad to hear it, Barb! Still, I haven't seen any new posts at Facebook or messages from the official site that indicate there isn't still a delay. Of course, if you've spoken with Lee about it and he told you that, that's a good deal as well.

If anyone can point me to a site or reference where it says that they have reduced the delay significantly, I'll be happy to post that information. Or course, you can post the link yourself and we can go from there.

There aren't a lot of Enterprise-era fan films, so supporting the ones we have sounds like a good idea to me.

15. Barbreader

As far as I am concerned, the only thing I will post is a statement that a story HAS BEEN released. My discussions with filmmakers are for STR, not for prophesy threads. He says he has removed part of what you quoted from his website. If I decide to return to the prophesy business I will go back to Wall Street. It pays better, thank you.

16. doubleohfive

Barbreader I agree with you completely. It makes little sense to keep an ongoing record of upcoming productions if you're only looking for fast, hard release dates.

That said, I can see the value in an ongoing list of upcoming productions that's as accurate as possible and is open to suggestion, and treats all productions fairly. Unfortunately, that has not been the case as of late.

Randy, I'm still quite interested to know where I flamed you in this thread. If you can't answer, I'll accept that as your acknowledgement that it's a specious claim and I'll thank you to discontinue that kind of behavior.

17. Barbreader

Liquor is for drinking and water is for fighting. (Mark Twain) Any futures thread is water. Leave it alone, it evaporates and leaves no trace. The fact is, you are demanding he be accurate and reflect your reading of a future event. It's John Smith v. Bahá'u'lláh . If you want to engage in debates about futures, I recommend the Chicago exchange.

18. doubleohfive

Fair enough. But my issue was not with whether or not his information was accurate, nor was it about anything to do with future releases.

My very simple, very minor question pertained solely to the relevancy of this brand new thread on top of the same exact information being presented the same exact way in the upcoming productions thread. That it got all blown out of proportion is not something I intended.

19. Captain Randy Hall

>>Randy, I'm still quite interested to know where I flamed you in this thread. If you can't answer, I'll accept that as your acknowledgement that it's a specious claim and I'll thank you to discontinue that kind of behavior.<<

ROTFL! I haven't seen anyone try the old "When did you stop beating your wife?" trick in decades! I realize how much you enjoy playing the flame game, but not me. I'm here to discuss fan films, not toss personal insults around. It so tempts me to repond with your ultimate put-down, but again, that's not what I'm here for.

I know this will leave you disappointed, but you'l have to find someone else who actually likes that kind of thing.

20. doubleohfive

[​IMG]