Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Borg451, Jul 3, 2008.

?

What did you think?

1. 1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie.

2.3%
  2. 2 - Pretty Poor

4.1%
  3. 3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download..

22.2%
  4. 4 - V. Good.

60.8%
  5. 5 - Best Stargate ever.

10.5%
  1. Ariadne

Ariadne Vice Admiral Admiral

The ZPM was there all along - that's why they went back in time in the first place.

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yes, Ra had it and didn't know what it was. Baal didn't go back in time far enough to affect that, so the ZPM was actually still with Ra. So if Baal took out Ra, he may have had the ZPM.

Something else I just thought of, what about Anubis? He was pretty powerful, did Baal take him out as well?

And what about the Asgard? I guess the replicators got them, and if that is the case, I guess there is a big replicator empire out there, unless Baal nipped that in the bud.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. Ariadne

Didn't the original Ra leave the ZPM in Egypt when he fled? I thought it was just in the modified timeline that he took it with him.

Well, he has the advantage of knowing what might go wrong, so it'd be relatively easy for him to get rid of Anubis early.

The Replicators would be harder, though. They can't really be "nipped in the bud" since they already had a galaxy worth of strength before they came over to the Milky Way.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

In the first Moebius timeline, the ZPM wasn't found when they scanned Egypt, suggesting that it went somewhere after the picture they saw it in was made, most likely with Ra when he left (thankfully, he never did anything important with it over the next five thousand years, or else they would've really broken history). In the second timeline, with loser SG-1, the ZPM is left behind because the first SG-1 had stolen it and hidden it with the video and the jumper. Alternate Hammond mentioned they found it in the cave, but had no idea what the hell it was supposed to do. In the final timeline, the ZPM is hidden in the cave with the tape, but the jumper (and the other jumper loser SG-1 came back in) were somehow scuttled to ensure no one else would get any funny ideas about fixing history.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Does anyone if SKY ONE will show all of it or will they be cutting anything out to have a lower run time ?

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched my LEGAL dvd yesterday (it pays to have connections!). I loved it! Good to see familiar faces, bittersweet to see Don S. Davis again. Since RDA's understandable retirement, it is good to see him again as well. He's had a long profitable career and is most likely enjoying himself. I, for one, am grateful that RDA chose to grace us with his presence onscreen.
    Any show, even lovable ones like SG-1, have flaws and mistakes. I think I tend to forgive SG-1 for theirs because they never take themselves too seriously. It is a good lesson many of us should learn.

7. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

<yawn> I did not see anything in there that really made me entertained; however, it was good enough that i dont want my "money" back. In the end it just isn't epic enough. When at the 46 minute mark they just were walking in the grocery store, i was thinking to my self, arnt we wasting a lot of time here. Wasting lots of time. I just hate time travel stories with a pashion. Not that they are not interesting, but i have a hard time tolerating just how inconherent a story is when you start pulling it into lots of differnt causality loops.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

C

This is the kind of story Stargate does best, but by now its become old. As someone above (Davd cgc?) said, "I liked it better when it was called "Moebius" and that's not far off the mark. While yes, there are cameos up the wazoo (I was really disappointed for some reason when we saw Major Davis at the beginning .... and then never again. I liked that guy! Bring him back!) and while said cameos nicely peppered the story, it just had this big banner over it the whole time saying "Been there, done that, bought the overpriced t-shirt at the convention."

Judge and Black got shortchanged on screentime which kind of sucks for them, despite being able to break out of their traditional "parts" they play. It was really hard to see Don Davis again given the timing of his passing, but when Carter says to him "Its good to see you again sir!" the scene is bittersweet without ever having intended to be.

After all the hype that yes yes, O'Neill would appear it was again kind of disappointing that he had all of three scenes but then again, its better than nothing. There's only so much that can done with his character now, and I really like (as I did with Ark of Truth) that it was again going to be Mitchell who would save the day.

Cliff Simon is a hoot as always, his sneer and snotty tone complementing his awesome accent as he talks shit to everyone. His plan is actually quite brilliant, he just doesn't account for the fact that there are some Goa'ulds with even bigger egos than his own.

As for the resolution to the story, it really bummed me out. I would have been much, much more interested in seeing Mitchell, Daniel, and Carter stuck in 1929 trying to prep for Ba'al's arrival and having to create a small army to do so. Instead, the minute Daniel got shot and fell off the platform (wuss!) and Carter took a shot in the back, I knew the picture was nearly over ... no way Mitchell wouldn't make it through by the skin of his teeth at that point. Sigh.

As for Daniel, I was glad for once he wasn't shoehorned in our face again as being always right, always there. The lost leg was a nice touch and I liked his reaction to it (No singing here!). I would like to know though exactly where in continuity this movie takes place ... Atlantis 5x01 has Carter being relieved, but if Continuum takes place after that, how is it Teal'c's hair is back to normal after his funky Barbie TNG Worf season 4 'do? (Minor point, I know)

Still, it was overall a nice offering. I can live with it if that's the end of SG-1, and while Ark of Truth was better as a vehicle for Mitchell, if this is the finale for SG-1 as an ensemble, there's a part of me that is just somewhat sad because it really wasn't an ensemble adventure.

9. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it worth buying the blu-ray? I was holding on to my spending cash for that week to pick it up.

10. Katrine

Katrine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is the reason assuming the Asgard are dead? They've been around longer than the Goauld. I thought Earth was an Asgard protected planet. This made no sense.
    I agree that it was fun to see the old system lords but things could've been a bit more angst-ridden.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well they did destroy their own planet and pretty much commited suicide as a race in the SG1 finale.

12. Ariadne

^^ They blew themselves up at the beginning of Unending.

ETA: DWF beat me to it.

13. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

My dvd came today. Have to say I loved it. I liked it at the beginning where Baal, when offered his last words had nothing to say to the Tokra but then spent five minutes chatting away with SG-1. Quality film, and even though I really like Ark of Truth, I liked this better.

I would have liked to see some interaction with Baal/Vala and SG1 after the change went ahead, but that aside, really enjoyed it.

14. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

No gate program, means they never met the Asgard, which means it never became a protected planet.
    And since Dakara was a planet within Ba'al's empire in the original timeline, all he'd have to do was use the Ancient device with the open all the Stargates in galaxy program (he'd need a zpm to power a wormhole to the Ida galaxy though..) , to wipe them out . And probably Anubis too, as he'd be nuts to try and proceed knowing that Nubie was out there, lurking in the shadows, with Kronos one of his lackies.

Edit to add-If they never meet the Asgard, then Thor would never have piloted his Rep infested ship out of Ida, so there'd be no Replicator threat here after all.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

and the Asgard would have probably been wiped out by the Reps

16. Katrine

Katrine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No gate program, means they never met the Asgard, which means it never became a protected planet.

This makes sense. I knew about the Asgard doing the "suicide" thing, but that was AFTER 1939. But, again, no gate program, no Asgard.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I'd rather have seen a "1969" story than the "Moebius" story. Or, at least, some kind of balanced story where they spent time looking at the 10 years Mitchell was on Earth getting ready/sneaking on board the ship.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Above Average (same as AOT) but I can't decide which one is better, I will need a repeat viewing. The story overall was pretty decent considering time travel just likes to fuck with your mind but I was not happy with O Neill's character not being central in any way to the overall plot of the story and Baal killing him was crap.

However the action was very nice and also seeing Daniel a little off colour so to speak was a good move. I loved how Baal despite all his planning was killed first by his queen and then by Cam in the past. There was some classic scenes again mainly with Baal (the mobile bit was great) though I felt it should of been extended by at least 15 minutes.

The ending while logically in a weird way just lacked that epic nature of LOST CITY but maybe the budget is to blame for that. I read a good review where they felt the ending not being so epic was a positive thng and matched the film but I disagree. I would of prefered to see Earth stick up a better fight launching nukes and anything else that could fly plus Glider/F Planes over major cities would of been great.

overall it was a good romp but in any 3rd movie, I want to see the secret come out.

19. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished watching the DVD tonight. I don't have the energy or the time to write up a full review right now, but I'll just say that I thought it was very good. Definitely better than Ark of Truth.

Continuum was a classic Stargate story. I hope this isn't the last we see of SG-1.

My main gripes are that it could have been longer, and RDA could have had a lot more to do. Other than that, I really liked it.

20. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

100x better than that ark of truth crud, and a pick-me-up from the disappointing SGA season opener and the weeks' following yecch episode. I don't care if it's a rehash of moebius, it was a great romp, without needing to fall upon replicators to please the fanboys! 8.5/10.