The Department of Temporal Investigations.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Silversmok3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

What is it?I've heard references to this agency time and again in several Trek books and shows/movies,but none of it has any info regarding the actual agency.

What do they do?Is it just a punitive bureaucracy that slaps the hands of captains who feel the need to hit rewind on the timeline?Is it an actual agency with arrest powers and agents who actively change the timeline?

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

It was a joke for the DS9 episode Trials And Tribble-ations. And nothing more.

3. Silversmok3

But in the new book Full Circle,it references Voyager having been stripped of its phase torpedos and ablative armor on the orders of the DTI.

I know books aren't 'canon' per se,but think about it-if you have several ships capable (in theory) of time travel,its a good idea to have someone around to prevent that.

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Since we are unlikely to ever see the 24th century again, the novels should be considered canon.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the DTI investigates instances of time-travel and charges people if they're found to have done wrong.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a civilian department in the Federation government with authority over temporal anomalies and incursions. It's the body that regulates the use of time travel technology and temporally dislocated technology.

Dulmer and Lucsley from "Trials and Tribble-ations" in DS9 were part of DTI.

At least one Strange New Worlds story established that DTI maintains a sophisticated computer network that utilizes chroniton radiation to shield the records from changes in the timeline, with which DTI agents detect time travel and then correct it.

It's not just a bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy; it actually does stuff. Whether DTI is its own executive agency within the Federation government, complete with its own Secretary of Temporal Investigations who serves in the Cabinet, or whether it's a division of another Federation executive agency (presumably the Department of Justice) is as yet unestablished in the novels.

7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Dulmer and Lucsly. Temporal Investigations.

Your thread makes mention of things we'd rather remain... out of the public eye for now.

[​IMG]

You saw nothing.

8. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

It wasn't presented in the episode as a joke in the Universe itself. Rather, it was presented as a real agency that actually exists in the Trek Universe.

As for what it does, not much is known about that since the novels are not canon and hence none of any of their content is applicable, and it received minimal screen-time.

I got the impression from the tone of the DS9 episode that they do indeed have arrest powers; otherwise it wouldn't make nearly so much sense for the whole crew to be fretting about their appearance.

9. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seems a bit pointless considering that any such department would be subject to the same changes to the timeline as anybody else and thus can't really do anything to maintain the real timeline because. . .well, what is the real timeline?

10. Michael

Well duh, really? I know that much. What I tried to say is that it was merely meant as a joke by the writers. There didn't really went much thought into that beyond "let's invent this angency as a plot point for our story and get a few laughs out of those two agents". (Which worked magnificently, if you ask me.)

In my opinion it were Voyager and later Enterprise (not Deep Space Nine) who, with their invention of the Temporal Integrity Commission, took the real life implications of time travel way too seriously. If time travel really was possible, I very much doubt there would be any such agency.

11. Sci

Why can't we include non-canonical information? Canonical information can be contradicted by new canonical information, too (James R. Kirk to James T. Kirk, the lack of any reference to the NX-01 in previous Trek productions, etc.), so who is that any different from non-canonical info?

Are you kidding me? Of course there would be an agency to try to monitor and control instances of time travel. That sort of technology would be incredibly dangerous. Hell, you can't drive a car without dealing with a government agency trying to regulate your driving -- you think they'd let people be able to change history without trying to control that sort of technology?

12. Silversmok3

^^^Indeed.

If DTI has arrest powers,it would have an almost 'precrime' M.O: arresting or detaining individuals who technically are not guilty of a crime in the case of future timeline violations.

And how can they determine a timeline violation has occurred?

13. Michael

Which is why I think there wouldn't be any agency. The technology is so dangerous, that I think, if it would really work, there would be some maniacs travelling back in time and changing history to their liking. Of course they'd get rid of any such agency first. ;)

14. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

The DTI was featured on-screen primarily in DS9's "Trials & Tribble-ations". Agents Dulmer & Lucsly were the only DTI folks ever shown on screen to my knowledge.

DTI, Dulmer & Lucsly, were the focus of my favorite TrekLit story, "Gods, Fate, & Fractals" by William Leisner. This short story is in Strange New Worlds II.

If you love stories about time travel &/or alternate realities, like I do, "Gods, Fate, & Fractals" is a must-read.

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    No!

I don't really seeing them monitoring or correcting anything. I see them more plausibly as a branch of whatever the Federation equivalent of the FBI is that investigates any Starfleet officer or civilian involved in time travel (hopefully few and far between) to determine (1) what changes resulted from it and (2) whether the involved personnel should be the subject of a court-martial.

I agree that they probably didn't put much deep thought into it at the time. Their names were Dulmer and Lucsly, after all. :rommie:

...which ultimately calls into question the IMO rather unrealistic over-depiction of time travel in 'Star Trek' where such an agency can exist.

"There... are... FOUR! LIGHTS!" ;)

16. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I clarified the point because the OP might not have understood that based on how it was stated in your original post in reply to his question.

You were stating non-canonical information in a matter of factly way as if it is canon, which is not accurate. Any poster here could make up their own explanation for DTI or anything else, and it would be equally valid to what any non-canonical information claims about DTI.

17. Sci

Um, I labeled my sources for DTI info very clearly. No one looking at it would think, "Oh, he's citing something from a Strange New Worlds story as though it was from the episode."

No, because none of the info made up by those posters would have been approved by CBS/Paramount, which everything that appears in a Trek novel must be.

While it's true that non-canonical info can be contradicted by later canonical sources, that doesn't mean anything. Some non-canonical info from the novels, such as Sulu's first name, have been added to the canon, for instance, and often canonical info can be contradicted by later canonical sources, too. The only difference between a canonical and non-canonical source is that the non-canonical source must be consistent with all extant canonical sources, while new canonical sources can contradict both non-canonical sources and previous canonical sources with impunity.

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't DTI but it did seem that by the 29th century Starfleet could arrest/detain its personnel before they committed a crime. Been an age since I've seen the episode but that was the case with Braxton if I'm recalling the episode correctly. He was arrested before he would have commited the crimes of using time travel to blow up Voyager...though given some of the fan base around here they probably would have given him a medal and promoted him to Chief Timey-wimey guy.

Got to wonder about those two DTI guys in TaT given they failed to notice the fact that DS9 was crawling with a previously extinct species.

19. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Did they actually establish the Tribbles were extinct?

20. Sci

Worf made it clear that the tribbles were extinct.