The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just got back from watching it a second time. Just as fantastic the second time around as the first, if not better!

I caught all of the little things I missed before but were pointed out in this thread: the hydraulic device on Batman's arm in the beginning, the cape slowing down Batman and Rachel's descent, Maroni's henchman being pulled off screen by Two-Face, and probably a few other things that I've now forgotten about. :lol:

Oh, and my one complaint after my initial viewing, the court scenes, I no longer have a problem with. Now there is nothing I don't like or love about this film. :D

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't even imagine the problems he would have as a prisoner at Arkham, being the former director. Didn't he test his fear toxin on the inmates? I'm sure there's more then a few inmates who want him dead.

3. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the police still haven't secured the Narrows, would he have been taken to Arkham?

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Even if there is, there surely isn't one that explains non-dairy powdered creamer.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

In the novel it was one of his own test subjects that came back to look for him to help him. There was a certain degree of loyalty in the people he experimented on toward him. This isn't exactly uncommon in psychology either for the person being experimented upon to remain loyal to or become loyal to the tester.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

A Stonegate was mentioned in the novel.

7. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I'm sure some of his test subjects became loyal to him but I doubt all of them are. Some of them probably hate him for what he did to them.

Then of course there's the normal prisoners who weren't test subjects but knew he was the prison warden. I wouldn't be surprised if the guards played it safe and never let him have contact with other prisoners, if other prisoners were allowed contact with him I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something similar to what happened it Watchmen.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Unless he conditioned them to be fiercely loyal to him, which is another possibility. The novel also suggests that all of the prisoners were loyal to him which was why he was so easily able to lead them in the Narrows.

9. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, I think I remember hearing them mention Stonegate Penitentiary in the movie, though I think it was in connection with something else.

10. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"That was a hell of a thing."

A+

For any one interested, Nolan did a half an hour public radio interview on The Treatment, a show which tackles film critique and analysis on more than the surface level. Worth a listen.

11. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

More likely too scared of him to do anything but scream and run away, or cower and obey.

12. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the part where Fox finally met The Batman. For over a year, he's playing this game of plausible deniability with Bruce. When he finally sees Bruce in the suit, he's admiring this monstrous machine and still talking in that strange Batman voice. Fox has to be thinking "Oh hell. What have I done? This guy is actually completely insane".

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Or he just realizes that Wayne is using that voice out of habit.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ In the novel he was genuinely frightened of Bruce when he heard the Batman voice. It was like they were two different people he comments.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

which is the whole idea and why i *love* the Bat-voice. it's intimidating, yes, but it also serves to set Batman apart from Bruce.

i mean, honestly, how no one ever twigged Clooney-Bats or Kilmer-Bats were Bruce I will never know...

and as for Robin...

16. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the bat voice personally....

"I killed those people"..... sounds like he is about to sneeze

:)

17. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

That's a great theory and it would do a great job of explaining how it was able to work the way it did in The Narrows. It would not explain, however, how it worked on the ship it was stolen from. Any water in the pipes of the ship would not have had the fear toxin in it.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked how Batman didn't always show up when the bat signal was turned on and that Gordon and the force understood. It's a refreshing change from the old "he's not coming" let-down attitude we saw in the past. I've always figured that Batman can't always be there.

I'm also wondering how Batman made his way through the police station to meet Gordon without being seen. Or did he even have to since Nolan's Batman doesn't live completely in the realm of rumor and myth and has developed a partnership with the police. And since we're on the subject, how do people feel about Batman not being more of a mystery to the public?

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i think he is still something of a mystery. they may know he exists, (like in Batman 89) but not a lot more. looking at the GCN viral site, there seems a lot of mystery attached to him. it's not like f***ing Batman and Robin with them attending a charity event and being interviewed on TV...

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

In the novel Gordon leaves the window open for him to come into the office. There are several parts (in both TDK and GK novelizations) where people are trying to see into Gordon's office to see if Batman is there. A lot of them had never seen him before.