Anyone here who HATES "in the pale moonlight"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Hate it? That ending with Sisko telling the computer to erase the entire confession was one of the best Trek endings ever.

Garak's speech to Sisko at the end was one of the best Trek speeches ever.

re: cloaking....I gather that the Dominion sometimes can see through a cloaking device, like if they set up their scanners in a special way.

I've seen a number of times when it did appear to work against them.

Morality...maybe it doesn't exist "naturally" in the universe but it's all the more reason to create it and enforce it. Otherwise we're back to the stone ages.

Depending on what definition of morality we're talking about.

2. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Weak to endorse the contrary? Morality requires great strength. Sure, sitting around and judging people is easy. But acting in a moral manner is very difficult. Sticking to principles is difficult. Acting in accordance with societal norms is weak, yes. But acting against those norms because you posses a greater moral truth is very difficult and requires tremendous strength. How is morality weak, then?

3. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

My only issue with this episode is that people are always talking about it. I thought the record was deleted. :)

Seriously though, I know it's silly, but fanfic and legitimate fiction "follow-ups" to this episode do kind of irk me for the same reason. The whole weight of the episode lies in Sisko's last line and action. "I *can* live with it."

>BOOM!< .. Huh?! What episode? What are you talking about?

4. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. But wouldn't the Senator have contacted Romulus before his ship exploded?

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont care for it. It was basically a big "fuck you" of the DS9 writers and producers towards the Roddenberry rules how Starfleet officers in the main cast should behave. Sisko acted like someone today would in such a situation. But if I want to see people acting contemporary, I dont watch Star Trek. Trek becomes completly redundant for me then. One of the reasons why the last seasons of DS9 about the war were frustrating for me, because I didnt care much about it. In the end DS9 became a show I watched because of the brand name "Star Trek". Without it, I wouldnt have watched the last seasons.

Which is also the reason why I quickly dropped DIS, because I already wasted too much of my time with DS9 before and its "more of the same" story telling about cynicism, war and violence. Lazy writers do that when they lack the fantasy for different stories.

Many viewers probably love this DS9 episode for narcissistic reasons: A Trek main character behaves like they do in their lives all the time and reflects to them: "I do the same shit as you." Which makes them feel good about themselves. Which for me is also lazy writing because it is easy for writers to appeal to the narcissism of the viewer and their need to get a positive reflection from the TV screen about their own self: "The guy on TV is cynical, so it is perfectly fine if I am cynical too. I can RELATE to that character!"

So, fun fact: I dont care about "Westworld", "Walking Dead" or "Game Of Thrones" for the same reasons. *yawn*

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    STEPhon IT and Kronos like this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Read my sig line. Roddenberry's ethics were compromised.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The last reply in this thread was almost 5 years ago. All longtime members should know by now that resurrecting threads this old is generally frowned upon. If you really want to continue the discussion feel free to start a new thread. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.