The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I have the same kind of 'luck': not only is it 'inner city' (plenty of traffic), town hall deems this neighbourhood so important that they clean and salt the pavements (at a price though :rolleyes: ).

Every time it begins to snow a ballet of sorts begins: first there's the machines that sweep the pavement -one side then the other- then there's the machines on the bike path -one way then the other- and then there's the (bigger) machines for the road. When it really snows there's not a second of it when I can't see yellow blinking through the blinds (yellow being the colour of warning lights here).

2. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My Christmas shopping is done. Yay amazon!

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Isn't it the best?!

I have one more gift to buy, but I have no flipping idea what to get him.

I wish it would get cold here. It's hard to get too into the Christmas Spirit when it's 75 degrees out.

Speaking of which...it's time to decorate the thread.

[​IMG]

4. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about to wrap a Christmas present for my friend in the US and send it across the Atlantic. It's a teddy bear with greetings from this part of the UK where she used to live. Hope it arrives in time!

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:D:techman:

6. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

:lol: Love it!

My MIL used to have a string of lights that played about 15 awful, tinny renditions of Christmas songs while the lights flashed to the rhythm. How I kept from slitting my wrists every time she turned the damned things on is a mystery. I love Christmas kitch, but this was several steps too far.

I must crack on with writing my international cards later today or tomorrow...once I find where my husband put the cards!

7. trekkiedane

Yeah, let's decorate this thread with images of winter (said the emoticon-fan):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. auntiehill

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was sitting in traffic the other day and the house by the roadside had internal decorative lighting that was clearly flashing to the rhythm of a song.

It took me a few seconds to realise that the reason I could tell this was because they were obviously listening to the same local radio station I was; the flashing was 100% in time with the music in my car. :lol:

10. F. King Daniel

Time to start on those cards!

11. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

:) Back from an awesome christmasmarket at a nearby farm :) About 100 vendors, mostly homemade or eco-friendly and handcrafted things that were very neat. Came home with some decorations, homemade marmeladecandies and some sugarcraft for the cupcakes i think i will bake some day in the near future. Very nice coffeehouse there also.

And I petted some horses and lambs also. Always a plus.
    Bring on christmas :)

12. trekkiedane

Last and this week-end the local farmers market is enhanced by the x-mas market,

[​IMG]

sounds like the one you went to Aurian; goodies and toys and x-mas ornaments all of it mostly of the hand crafted variety, a few 'rides' for the kiddies lots of seasonal snacks and mulled vine (and x.mas beer of course) and a big ol' tent (from Belgium) where they alternate between ½ an hour for kids then ½ an hour for families (no strictly 'adult' stuff):

[​IMG]

I got myself some (locally made) sea salt, some spices and herbs (to make the x-mas aquavit from) and ½ a Kg of chestnuts (although I have no open fire to roast them in [​IMG] ) and the very last (ever to be made) of these:

[​IMG]
    ~4" tall​

13. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

OOH,, sounds like a wonderful place! I love markets like that.

Very cute. :)

14. F. King Daniel

All the Christmas decorations are unpacked!:D

I'm currently wearing a black "Bah humbug!" anti-santa hat and two musical ties - the battery on the six-year-old one is dying (it plays in s-l-o-w m-o), and on the year-old one, only one of santa's eyes glow:ouch:.

Everything goes up tommorow.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I discovered today that one of my local restaurants has now started adding a slice of Christmas Cake to their regular Afternoon Tea. A very welcome festive addition! :drool:

16. F. King Daniel

I still haven't started on those cards:p.

17. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did my first Christmas shopping via couple of netshops yesterday:)
    That means I have finally started my Xmas preparations for this year:lol::techman:
    And tomorrow or later this week I am planning to go out and hit the shops..to get some more gifts.
    Oh..and I must get new lights for the xmas tree..not sure if to buy blinky or non-blinky leds..hmm:shifty:

I know..its sounds like I am on a shopping spree..but I am trying to have a relaxing and nice Christmas this year and trying to avoid any needless hussle and stress..:angel:

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm trying to figure what to get my fiancee. She wants me to buy the coat her mother already bought her for Christmas and my mom bought her the jewerly box she picked out for our wedding registry.

I'm hoping to avoid an Old Navy store between now and Christmas so she won't try to talk me into buying it.

19. auntiehill

^Get her a really fancy album or frames to put all the wedding pictures in. Or get her something like pearls or bracelet that she can wear as "something new" for the wedding. She'll melt; trust me. :angel:

When and if she asks about the coat, just put your arm around her and say, "Santa has that already taken care of."

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

You old softie, auntiehill :lol:

Christmas prep is on hold in my house until Saturday - there's no room in my brain for anything but little miss trampledamage's birthday party which is on Friday. I had it all sorted that we would go to the local indoor play centre, but the evening of her birthday someone has booked out the entire place - not just a normal group, the entire place, they're actually closing it down to accommodate this party. So the party is at our house and I'm (as usual) overwhelmed.