Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know how many other people got it, but I got the new issue of the Star Trek Magazine and there is a huge update for Trek Lit with all sorts of new information. Including (informal) descriptions for everything from July of this year all the way through Janurary of 2012, including three new books we've never heard about, and the cover for Seize the Fire.
    A couple things we haven't heard before include:
    A title for the new Voyager book: Children of the Storm
    Cast No Shadow: A TOS movier era Vaughn/Valeris story
    The Romulan War: In Shariel's Shadow
    Vanguard 6
    Since this is in the magazine I'm not comfortable posting any more without an ok. So would it be ok if I posted the descriptions?

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I would imagine that it'll all be on Memory Alpha/Beta fairly soon, but if you're worried, you could certainly just post series/title/author for each one.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, I edited that stuff in.

4. Thrawn

I assume Wardilmore's writing Vanguard 6, and Martin is writing Romulan War. Who's writing Cast No Shadow?

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right on the first two, and James Swallow is writing Cast No Shadow. Oh, and I forgot that DTI now has a sub title. It's in the magazine as DTI: Watching the Clock.

6. Thrawn

So let me see if I remember everything that's been announced, post-Typhon Pact. In no particular order:

VOY: Children Of The Storm - Beyer
    DTI: Watching The Clock - Bennett
    Vanguard: Declassified - Ward, Dilmore, Mack, Palmieri
    TOS: A Choice Of Catastrophes - those authors that always bitch that their names are misspelled, so I'm just gonna pass on trying to get that right :lol:
    TNG-ish: Indistinguishable From Magic - McIntee
    Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions - Mack
    TOS-ish: Cast No Shadow - Swallow
    Vanguard 6 - Wardilmore
    Romulan War: In Shariel's Shadow - Martin

Am I missing anything? Unless we're skipping some months or doing some reprints, that seems like it's a few short of January 2012.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are reprints for Beneath the Raptor's Wing in March and Blind Man's Bluff in Sept. and Rise Like Lions is January '12
    Oh, here's the release months:
    April: IFM
    May: DTI:WTC
    June:CoS
    July:V:D
    August: CoC
    September. BMB
    October: CNS
    November: RW:ISJ
    December: V6
    January: RLL

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What's BMB?

9. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Blind Man's Bluff, a reprint.

Very much looking forward to DTI and In Shariel's Shadow.

Now if only I could stop thinking about the plight of Columbia whenever I read an Enterprise novel or a scene about an NX class vessel.

I condemn He Who Will Not Be Named for being too entertaining. :sigh:

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Some good stuff coming up for sure, but no DS9? :confused::(

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, somehow I missed that first sentence about the reprints, even though I looked over the thread pretty thoroughly, I thought.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Thanks JD for news about the StarTrek Book schedule. I can't wait to get my copy of the magazine and read about the new books coming out in 2011/2012:).

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops, my bad it's actually In Shariel's Jaws, not Shadow. I was doing that from memory originally, and I should really know better than that.

14. Thrawn

Ok, so is In Shariel's Jaws a MMPB? Or is there no MMPB in the month it's released?

Either way, I feel like the schedule is a little light, yes? All MMPBs and no trades, or we're missing an MMPB that month. Not too shocking, given that the whole thing is edited by one person and she's new to it AND has other responsibilities besides, but still.

That said, I'm hugely excited about literally every novel on the schedule. Which is FANTASTIC. I'm sad Mack's next novel isn't out for so long, and I'm sad there isn't more DS9, but otherwise this is a mighty promising list of tales.

15. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good news! We're considering changing our names to Hank and LeRoy Rockefeller, which should make things easier.

16. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Thanks for that news, JD! Glad I don't have to wait for the magazine to get over here in another two or three weeks to provide Memory Alpha with updates - I'd feel too far behind the times! :D

Lots of exciting news there - looks like Beyer will be revisiting the Borg-hunting group from Destiny, Jim Swallow tackling the TOS movie era, two Vanguard releases. Also disappointed that no DS9, but I guess that series may need some careful planning. Slightly sad that we have to wait until Jan '12 for Rise Like Lions, but it gives us a nice symmetry, with Shards and Sorrows being January releases as well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  17. Thrawn

:lol:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure about In Shariel's Jaws, but I'll check tonight and get back to you in the morning.
    Oh, and also incredibly excited for everything on the schedule. I'm really glad to see that Pocket is going to be doing some different types of stories. I'm especially curious about Cast No Shadow, Undiscovered Country has been one of my Trek movies for ages, and I've wanted to see Valeris again for a long time. Plus it's got Vaughn in it which is never a bad thing. Aaaaand it's written by James Swallow, which is another plus.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

But still no news on New Frontier... :(

20. Thrawn

Well, there's Blind Man's Bluff coming in January. And recently, they've been coming more than a year apart, so I see no reason to expect the one after that to arrive before Jan 2012, which is the latest that this article covers.