‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman, I'm really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Superman caused more death and destruction in one movie than you did in three.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm all for discussion, but there's a difference between a friendly discussion and a relentless debate. Somewhere along the way it crossed that line for me.

4. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you! I want it for my phone.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. Batman and Robin was so bad that when a new film was announced - and at the time a lot of people thought it was a prequel to the last series, not a reboot - a lot of people had the attitude 'Not another one!' Similarly with Spider-man, there was a touch of 'I don't want to see another one, after that last movie.'

I think that for the most part, the casual movie-goer will simply see that there is a new Batman film coming and say 'good, the last ones were excellent', rather than 'oh dear, they're never going to be as good as the last ones.'

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In Spidey's case, I think it was more of an "Another origin movie so soon?" reaction. When I saw a movie showing the ASM trailer, I heard a woman in the audience say, "Didn't we just see that film?"

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the Age of Reboots, honey.

8. Captaindemotion

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kind of interesting that Nolan (if it's true he's producing) will have had a hand in creating two different versions of Batman.

(And yeah I know Tim Burton helped produce Batman Forever as well, but I don't think that was really meant to be a whole new Batman like they're doing here)

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I suppose Roddenberry basically created two different versions of Trek: TOS and TNG.

Yes, I know they're technically in the same continuity, but TNG was very much a case of rethinking and reinventing STAR TREK some twenty years later.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I recongnise I'm one of the few people who like Spider-Man 3 (and X-Men 3) but were people really clamoring for Amazing Spider-Man? I remember their being rumors about a SM4, and people didn't seem to upset that the Spider-man movies would continue, even after SM3.

I'm actually not against the concept of reboots for movies. Eventually, actors will want to move on or just get too old for the roles, or the series would just become stale. I just don't like bad reboots. I won't get into some rant, I'll just say that, with Spider-Man, I was extremely dissappointed in the Amazing Spider-Man. ASM is in no way any better than SM3, its actually significantly worse, and has a main character whose acting wouldn't be acceptable in a SyFy tv movie. I still crack up trying to see that guy "act" at being sad when uncle ben died, its simultaneously the funniest and most pathetic piece of acting i've seen in a high budget movie.

But, I actually went into that movie with an open mind. I knew I'd miss the old guys, but I was willing to see how the new guys would do. I did the same thing with batman begins. Of all the things I can (and have) complained about in superhero movies, the idea of a reboot has never bothered me. Reboots can be fine, I just wish they'd actually improve on what they're rebooting, or atleast match it in quality (assuming the thing its rebooting was good to begin with, atleast at one time) :vulcan: Its also preferable not to do a straight up origin movie if you've already had one that people still remember, but I can handle an origin if its done well or different enough from the one before it (in execution if not in the basic story). I'm more than fine with a Batman reboot, I actually wish it was a real, full reboot. Let someone who has never written a Batman movie write him, not the guy who helped write the last version of him. This new batman won't be a real reboot, more like a tweak to fit with Superman's universe. I'm assuming he'll be Bale's Batman, just without Bale and with a tweaked backstory so that he fits better in a world with Superman. I'd wish for more of a reboot, but they will want to make sure he's the same Batman Nolan did, so that they can bring in more money. Maybe in a decade we;ll see a real Batman reboot, but it won't be in the Superman/Batman movie.

12. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read that they were using The Dark Knight Returns for inspiration, and thought it would be pretty cool if they brought back Michael Keaton as an older Batman.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I still haven't seen ASM. Basically, I was happy with the Raimi movies despite the third's let down (and it still wasn't THAT bad) and had no desire to see a rebooted Spider-Man. Raimi loved the comics and it showed in the final product. I am sure I will watch ASM on television sometime, but preferred to spend my money elsewhere.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

For some reason I haven't been able to get myself noticeably excited about Spiderman since I was a child.

15. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I doubt they'll be all that different. Nolan will stick with the Batman that proved to be very profitable for WB, varying him just enough to accommodate a world with super-powerful beings in it.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Tim Burton had almost nothing to do with Batman Forever. He had one story meeting with Schumacher and that was it. His producer credit was a mutual face-saving thing for him and the studio to help ease the transition in the franchise.

17. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Just another of the many reasons why it isn't even really necessary to acknowledge the existence of those lame Superman movies as they all fail miserably when put up against the incredibly superior Man Of Steel.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was really excited at the idea of an edgier and more sophisticated interpretation of Spidey... but the final product ended up feeling like just a dull and generic rehash of the first Raimi movie unfortunately.

Although I did really like Garfield and Stone, so as long as the sequel has a better story (and better villains) I think it'll make up for much of the disappointment with the first movie.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be interesting to see retired Bale/Nolan Bruce Wayne looking at the news, watching the destruction of Metropolis by aliens. Just what the hell would he be thinking?

20. Captaindemotion

^ Probably 'Thank f*ck I never had to go up against these guys. And I hope to God Wayne Enterprises didn't have any properties there. And that we don't insure Metropolis.'