MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ More like a shank really.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no way at all to tell anything from that final scene. We'll know when we see a sequel, and Goyer has stated what he and Snyder intend to do.

Really, people who know Clark and Superman both would have to be low-grade morons not to get it.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, the way he introduces Clark seemed more like "show the new guy the difference between a pen and a pencil" tone. And, really, there's also no reason he'd draw the two together. We'll see how it plays out, though. But what people are saying now and what happens years from now are two different things.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I never got the sense at all that this Lois was some smitten, starry-eyed girl with a crush like Kidder's Lois in STM, who was only wowed by his good looks and superpowers.

Adam's Lois seemed to connect with him on a deeper level than that (even with how little interaction we actually saw), and seemed attracted more to his kind and goodhearted nature. In fact I don't think it really mattered to her what clothes he was wearing.

And besides, the whole idea that he wants her to fall in love with Clark has always seemed a bit silly to me. First because it implies that she's shallow and superficial as hell, and second because usually the "Clark" he wanted her to fall for was an exaggerated act he was putting on to fool people.

Glad to see that idea dropped.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Call her and find out. 867 5309.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, in this world they probably have no concept of the "secret identity," and would never imagine that this superpowered alien with godlike abilities would want to pose... as a lowly newspaper reporter. Plus there's a lot of tall, hunky guys out there who could probably pass for Superman.

Although I have to admit I've always kind of liked the idea that Perry and the Planet staff always secretly knew who he was, and just decided to never say anything. :D

Still though, if Clark were smart he'd claim he was from a totally different area of the country, like Portland or something. Saying he's from Smallville would kind of make it too easy for people to figure out at this point. Lol

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sort of like Gordon knowing who Batman is and Batman knowing Gordon knows and both pretending they don't.

8. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:Best comment on the film yet! (Spencer's! Haven't thought about that place in years...)

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw it a second time. I liked it a bit better after the second viewing. I really want to give it an "A," but I still think the whole third act could've used some more cutting. The first two acts, however, are nothing short of fantastic.

Anyway, finally settled on a B+. (Which is the same I gave STiD FWIW.)

With the obvious, in-you-face homage to The Cloeavage, why didn't they just make her Chloe? It's one thing had they went with Olsen, but since they didn't anyway, why go the unnecessary extra yard?

Besides, having her be Chloe, could've really played well into that office dynamic discussed a few posts up.

I suppose maybe they plan on having her marry and Olsen or something. :shrug:

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe Olsen is her maiden name?

But no. No Chloe. I don't think they want to tie into Smallville.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave it a B+ (For perspective, I'd give STID a C-). Highly enjoyable, though the final act needed work.

12. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

although they did have a "Sullivan" name drop. During the flash back scene when clark is getting picked on, at the garage where Jonathon and the other guy is working on the car, you can see the sign "Sullivan's" on the top of the garage.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may have missed it but why was there a Superman / House of El suit on the Kryptonian scout ship?

I have a few theories* but I just want to make sure that it wasn't something that was explained that I missed.

*On board robots made it when Kal-El activated Jor-El's key thing or Kal-El's ancestors were on board and the brighter colours were what Kryptonians were wearing back then etc

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was the name "Metropolis" used in the movie? Didn't notice.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It was, somewhere, but I don't remember where. I don't think it was said it was just written somewhere.

16. Shazam!

It was definitely said. I think they mentioned it in the bomber plane.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So I finally saw Iron Man 3...what a disappointment, it's not very good. It was all over the place, and very little central focus with it's villain. No real AIM from the comics, Mandarin was literally a joke. Extremis was a shadow of it comic book origins. Not good. C- for Iron Man 3...as opposed to an A from me for MoS..a MUCH MUCH better movie in every single way.

STID: A+
    MoS: A
    IM3: C-

Hoping to see Oblivion or After Earth in one of their last gasp showings.

RAMA

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I give it a good solid A... Only detractor for me was that it was TOO LOUD for my sensitive ears... I realize that's "my" problem, but still..

Loved the take on the story and even the twist of Lois knowing early on, who he is... That way we can dispense with the back and forth and "romantic tension" between the two of them... Amy Adams was fantastic as the strong willed, kick you in the balls reporter.. But why, exactly was she on the transport plane at the end?? I realize that part was plot convenience theater, but really? I guess the justification being able to "get the story" was enough...

This was a big, ambitious movie with a lot of story to tell and I thought the development of Zod's character was fantastic.. Not just the "He's a bad guy" criminal we saw in Terrance Stamp's Zod..

After the show, however, I couldn't help thinking to myself... In our litigeous society, Supes is going to be facing piles of legal trouble with all the death and damage he caused... Doesn't matter if he was saving the world in the process, you know there would be lawsuits...

19. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave it a B-, and it's only that high because of how strong the first part of the movie was. I loved the actors, Cavill was better than what I was expecting, Crowe and Costner were great, pretty much acting wise everyone was great. The story was good, I love the different take and angle of the story. It's an A+, until we get to the action.

I love big dumb action in movies sometimes. Heck, for the last part of the Avengers I had a big stupid grin on my face as our heroes did battle. That is a long action sequence done right. However, it's been downhill from there for me. IM3, ST ID, big "epic" action sequences that left me wishing it would be over after 10 minutes. This is the problem with Man of Steel. I kept waiting for the big epic battle, the Avengers moment if you will. What I saw was one long punch fest, bouncing from one to the next. I was bored, and I was waiting for it to be over. Action for the sake of action doesn't do it for me in movies. If only they could have spent a bit more time on the ending and cut down on the pointless action sequence it might have been a more solid movie in my opinion. They only thing saving this movie from being a C- in my book is the great opening and the successful re-imagining of it.

20. Shazam!

I'm one of the old school and love all the secret identity shenanigans of comic books but I can understand why they abandoned it here. We all know she finds out anyway and it has been done to death so may as well take the road less traveled.

Lois popped up everywhere. I think she had a personal transporter.