Are there any 24th Century fan productions?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by BobtheGunslinge, Aug 24, 2014.

1. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've seen many, many TOS-era fan films, but no TNG-era films. Are they out there and I'm just missing them? Also, why do you think TOS is so much more popular for fans who produce films?

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

gunslinge?

3. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The r was cut off. Too many letters, apparently.

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

There are many such productions. See the "Silver Age" section of Star Trek Reviewed in the Table of Contents, here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/2.html. It starts at Blog 80 and continues through Blog 136. There are more hidden in "short films" and similar listings. (See Deception, which is in Blog 207 short films under (AC).)

Star Trek: Odyssey (Blog 102) is often cited as the Best of the Hidden Frontier productions. I am particularly found of Star Trek: Intrepid (Blog 109), out of Scotland, the series that got me hooked on Star Trek Fan Films. The overwhelming majority of non-US-made Trek Fan Films are from the TNG-VOY-DS9 era, (which is here called, "Silver Age") and the time that follows that era.

Voice work is needed, but Star Trek Time Warp (Blog 94) is a much loved animation. I also like England's Star Trek Unity (start with the newer ones at the top of the listing)(Blog 90), Osiris (USA) (Blog 82), Metrensky Incident (Czech)(Blog 85), the last two films of Encarta (USA)(Blog 86), Star Trekz Empire (USA animation)(Blog 124), Retail Star Trek (UK)(Blog 125), and Star Trek: The Next Animation (German)(Blog 127). The most watched Finnish Film of all Time is Star Wreak(blog 113). I encourage you to get more opinions from others on this.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Star Trek: Intrepid is awesome and a lot of fun. And so is Star Trek: Phoenix, which takes place after Nemesis. That one is very good.

6. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Hidden Frontier Productions are a group I highly recommend! The 7 seasons has some well written episodes and character arcs flowing right through all 50 episodes/7 seasons - it is structured like a proper TV Series.

Odyssey is quite different and well put-together. It has it's own spinoff, The Helena Chronicles showing the fall-out of Odyssey's loss. I confess I miss this group of characters and long for a reunion.

Star Trek: Intrepid is also great, they even cross over with Hidden Frontier several times which makes it all part of a wider universe - with all the groups out there it's quite ironic that the first major joint productions were from two different sides of the Atlantic! My favourite is 'The Stone Unturned' featuring Sir Patrick Stewart lookalike Giles Aston as Captain Picard.

Star Trek: Phoenix is actually 42 years after Nemesis, so 25th Century. The presentation is very professional and they try to imagine everything almost half a century beyond TNG however it is still recognizably Star Trek. It's a good representation of 'what if the TV Series jumped to the next century?'

There's also other gems out there, Star Trek: Time Warp has excellent animation that somehow recaptures the aesthetic of Star Trek Generations but the films are 4hrs long! Star Trek: Deception is a nice short set in the earlier TNG era (roundback combadges)

Star Trek: Renegades is a semi-professional pilot in post-production set 11 years after Voyager

I hope I've helped - yes the TOS era films are all very good but it is nice to see people explore the wider spectrum of Star Trek!

7. Barbreader

Two quibbles with Danlav05.

1. Not only is Star Trek: Phoenix 25th century, it is only half a story. They have no plans to complete it, ever.

2. Star Trek: Renegades is in post-production but it hasn't been released. Therefore, it can not yet be watched. However, since the question was about production, not viewing, your response is a correct response.

8. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Yes which is a pity because it had such potential. It literally is a pilot to an unmade show.

I kind of gathered that as Leo Roberts left the production however their Facebook still runs posting Trek-related stuff. After so long and no production activity I figured that no more episodes were coming.

9. Barbreader

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You could try asking in the Questions, Suggestions, & Feedback Forum for a name change that fits, like BobDGunslinger or something. Or just wait until Halloween name changes are announced in a few weeks, and ask for a permanent change then.

http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i always thought helena was the better show compared to odyssey.

odyssey was just voyager again, but further away.

helena had a crew you sort of cared about going renegade, weird conspiracies and two of the best antagonists in fan films, captain maxwell and that red alien woman. and the theme tune was better.

12. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Just a quick shout out to Section 31 files and it's sequel Lost frontier. They both share the shared universe above I guess due to one or two crossovers they're both audio as well so easy to fit on drives to work and walks in the park.

13. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Actually, I don't believe that's correct. They're doing Atlanti-con in late September, and TrekTrax Atlanta in April 2015. I've not heard any mention of Dragoncon.

14. Barbreader

Clearly, I misunderstood a Facebook post. It did say "Atlanti-Con." Nevertheless, I recommend their films for viewing for those looking for Films from the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

15. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

thanks for the links. From now on my donations will only go to "Silver Age" or newer fan productions.