Once Upon A Time Season 5 Discussion Thread -Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 28, 2015.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe she'll become the Wizard. :rommie:

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

The Camelot plot thickens.

If Merlin has been in that tree since Arthur was a child, who visited Emma in the theater?

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it the apprentice?

4. Gryffindorian

It would be good to have a published compendium on this series, similar to the Star Wars encyclopedias, with a listing of characters and plotlines throughout the years.

I'm trying to piece the timelines with the events on the show. Since the Camelot flashbacks took place "5 years ago," it's probably safe to assume that those events happened shortly before Emma's first arrival in Storybrooke (the 2011 season).

Arthur was portrayed as a treacherous and devious man obsessed with finding the dagger in order to fix the broken Excalibur sword so that he could be the greatest ruler. Apparently, Snow - and David - saw through him after heeding Lancelot's warning not to trust the monarch, but they, like Guinevere, fell under the spell of the pixie dust.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so, as JD's episode 1 post suggests. :vulcan:

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The "5 years ago" thing with regards to events in Camelot was clearly a mistake that nobody seemed to catch, but even with it being there, it's not hard to figure out when those flashbacks really took place.

Based on the presence of Rumple as the Dark One, they had to have taken place 30 years (at least) before the 'present-day' Camelot events.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Time passes differently in other realms than they do in the real world/Storybrooke, doesn't it?!

And, yes, that was Merlin as the Usher talking to young Emma in the theatre. So, either he found a way to get out of the tree (possibly limited to other realms than Camelot), it's just a matter of Camelot and the real world not being in synch on the passage of time, or Merlin can time travel and visited Emma before or after he was stuck in the tree.

If he ever was in that tree in the first place. How do we know that, actually, other than Arthur telling us so?

8. DigificWriter

The way that time passes in Camelot shouldn't be any different from the way that time passes in Misthaven/The Enchanted Forest, because they're both part of the same realm (world): Fairy-Tale Land.

9. Gryffindorian

Which events were you referring to that had taken place 30 years earlier, the "five years ago" or Arthur's childhood? Since the Enchanted Forest and Camelot are part of the same realm, they are in synch with "our" world.

ETA:

The squire (Griff) who attempted to kill Regina when they first arrived in Camelot during the season premiere was just a boy when Regina was still the Evil Queen. I'm assuming at least a decade had passed since his encounter with Regina.

BUT ... the problem is that everyone in/from Storybrooke has been in our world for at least 30-something years (mid-1980s). Snow and company would have to have traveled back in time to Camelot to say it's been "X" years since Regina met Griff.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  10. DigificWriter

^ The "5 years ago" stuff.

BTW, Griff isn't the person who tried to kill Regina; that was Percival.

At any rate, though, his encounter with Regina would've occurred at some point before the Dark Curse was cast, and since it appears as if its effects didn't touch Camelot, he would've been able to grow up rather than being 'stuck in time' like the inhabitants of Misthaven (tgose whom Cora protected) and Arrendale were.

11. Gryffindorian

I stand corrected; it was Percival. But if 5 years ago really happened 30 years ago in Camelot, why haven't Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot and others aged? It would make more sense if Camelot too was under the protection spell.

But if Camelot was protected from the curse, then Percival should have stayed young.

All these inconsistencies in time are giving me a headache.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they just screwed up with the timeline there.
    As for Merlin talking to Emma, maybe he never really left the tree and just used a spell to make her see him so he could talk to her.

I enjoyed the episode.
    It looks like Arthur isn't so much evil as just obsessed with putting Excalibur back together.
    I liked Charming and Snow's ploy at the end, they actually got me there.
    I am curious to see if we're going to get any more of a story about Lancelot's survival than just the quick he lied or faked his death?
    I got a kick out of the end with Dark Swan wanting Merida to teach Rumple to be brave.

13. Gryffindorian

Arthur is obsessed with power, saying once Excalibur was whole again, he would be the most powerful ruler in all the realms. A good king wouldn't use pixie dust on his wife, as well as Snow and Charming, to control their minds and get what he wants.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I totally don't remember this bit about Merlin the usher. what episode was that?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the opening scene of the season premiere Emma is in a theater watching The Sword in the Stone, when an usher approaches her and starts talking about her future.
    Found the scene on Youtube:
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EidiIxicXwo[/yt]

17. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

I don't think I have ever despised and hated a character more in OUAT then King Arthur. The implications of him drugging is wife and his entire kingdom... Yikes! :wtf:

They turned him more or less into Purple Man...

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't really think about it that way. That is pretty bad.
    I am curious to see what's going to become of him. I guess I just saw as him getting carried away with his obsession with Excalibur.

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

True for me, too. Except, maybe, for Pan.
    But considering the expectations that are connected with the myth of King Arthur, this kinda reminds me of ...
    ... both Ward (in season one) and Jiaying, Skye's mother (in season two).

The kind of villain you're actually cheering for the heroes to take down.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arthur is probably the only character who they've done this kind of a change to that I actually had a prior attachment to, so I keep trying to figure out if there's some way to make him not so bad. I guess I just need to except that he is a bad guy.
    EDIT: In the traditional Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere triangle is one of them usually as a good good versus the other as bad guy?