Nolan now in total control, and Bale will return as Bats

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:lol: How does that work?

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Typo: I meant Nolan

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The same way ABC acquires the rights to Disney characters for Once Upon a Time? :p

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope this is false. I HATE Nolan, he needs to stay away from JL. Does DC really need to keep up having the worst live action superhero movies? I mean, they can't beat Marvel with live action movies (They do, however, usually beat them in animation). It probably has to do with Warner brothers being run my semi-intelligent crabs. Still, they could, in theory, have good live action movies, they just need to stop using Nolan.

It would kind of make sense, though. While DC has some awesome characters, and has previously had some awesome comics, recently the quality of their comics has sucked, as has their live action movies. So, if this rumor is true, while Marvel gets great actors, great writers, and the awesome Joss Whedon to do their team up movie (after releasing a bunch of awesome live action movies to set up a universe for the team up movie) DC would get a horrible director and a horrible actor to take part in a movie that may or may not be connected to a few mediocre to horrible movies. So, I guess this wpould be their way of keeping the status quo of being much worse than Marvel in the quality of their products.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Well, I was a little leery about this at first, but if you hate it that proves we're on the right track. If this is true, the best of luck to you Nolan.

6. kirk55555

Well, if thats how you judge if something is good or not, here are some other movies I don't like:

Goodburger
    Catwoman
    Transformers 2
    Ang Lee's Hulk
    Meet the Spartans
    Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Star Trek Insurrection
    Mega Shark vs. giant Octopus
    Inspector Gadget 1 & 2
    Pearl Harbor

Now if you need something to watch, by your reasoning I've just given you a list of movies that you'd probably find amazing. You're welcome ;)

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

"Hate" would be too strong a word for me, but I am not a big fan of Nolan's Batman movies. The third one was the "best" of the three, IMO.

That he may be involved in a JL movie, which raises the possibility that Christian Bale will reprise the "lisping fake voice" Chrusader, is a real downer for me. And just like the Avengers put it's most popular and well acted character, Iron Man, out front, so likely will a JL movie put DC's most popular character out front. That means a whole crap load of the charisma challenged Bale.

Only two hopes here for me; that the story is not true, or if it is, that the upcoming Man of Steel is a huge hit, which might mean more Supes and less Bale - oh, I just remembered...nevermind.

8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Plot: Blake dies or become incapacitated either as Bats or in some other way... Some JLA related crisis, well suited to Batman's talents arises... Alfred connects with Bruce while he and Ms. Kyle are floating on a sailboat somewhere... They begrudgingly return to Gotham...

Nolan/Bale... LOTS and LOTS of money... Simple...

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. the public and the critics disagree with you.

So there you go.. not everybody likes Nolan and he's not a popcorn and soda type of flashy director who writes humor and action effortlessly like Whedon but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

As i said earlier Nolan is different and if he makes something to the level of his Batman movies i'll be very excited to see it. Flash, action and humor i've got plenty by seeing Marvel movies.. something different is very good.

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm not believing it until I see an official press release from Warner Bros. If I do see that, I'll be incredibly disappointed that they think there's no way to make a good Justice League movie without tying it to the Nolan trilogy. It's like they noticed all of the money that Avengers made, but didn't notice a single thing about why it was successful.

11. FPAlpha

Well.. they tried the Special Effects/Humor heavy version with Green Lantern and fell on their ass.

They see the broody and dark Batman movies that made a ton of money and were generally well received by fans and critics so can you fault them for adding up two and two?

Movie execs rarely understand the creativity of stories and the uniqueness of the brand they are supposed to control.. this is why they hire creative people but even that process is sometimes hit or miss depending on if the creative person is capable or his reputation overblown.

Whedon was a brilliant choice but even being very familiar with his TV work and Serenity i was hesitant if he could pull of a juggernaut like Avengers. Fortunately he did and Nolan has an equally impressive line of movies under his belt just with a different style so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

12. kirk55555

Yes, because seeing a dark, slow JL movie with everyone brooding all the time is exactly the right thing to do. Plus, it has to have Nolan's "realistic" thing going on, so the villain has to be either stupid and unthreatening (aka Bane) or just the villain in name only (like Ledger's Joker). I'm hoping that, if this happens, the villains are: a former stage actor turned to a life of crime named Despero, a mad scientist who was beaten by his dad as a kid named Brainiac and finishing the evil group off a jewel theft who named herself after her biggest heist, Star Sapphire. As for the League, you'd have the Flash, who will be a former olympic athlete with a tragic past who is the fastest human on earth (probably running at, I don't know, 20-25 mph) and Wonder Woman (a greek woman who either escaped from a mental institution or was made in some government lab) who has no powers except a lasso, and she'll look like some skinny, wimpy model and be played by an actress who doesn't fit the role (I'm thinking either Megan Fox or Emma stone, or if they're not avaliable the woman from Twilight).

Let's not forget Jason Statham as Martian Manhunter (a bounty hunter from Mars, Pennsylvania, with advanced government weapons) or Aquaman, the former seaworld employee with a troubled past. Then, stick in Cyborg, but have him be much less advanced then he is in the comics and make his cyborg nature part of some obscure plot by terrorists, maybe tie it in with Ra's from Nolan's Batman. Then, you'd need a more obscure hero to pander to the comic fans, so lets say they include Zatanna, with her stripper backstory from the current New 52 comics, but as just an illusionist/escape artist with not actual magic powers. Now, Nolan would probably have to give Superman and GL powers, but they'd be the exception, and spend the whole movie being called freaks and hated by the general public. Give the movie a stupid plot that a three year old could write better (maybe see if the morons who wrote Transformers and Star Trek 2009 aren't busy), make it 3 hours long, and you have Nolan's Justice League. It would be different from Avengers, but different isn't always good.

13. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

See, now all I can think after that is how great it would be to have Emma Stone in there somehow. Maybe if the Spidey films kill her off (which I hope they don't, as that would be dumb).

14. FPAlpha

Why do you assume Nolan won't be able to grasp the tone of each Superhero?

His Batman movies are a successess because he hit the character spot on, i've no reason to believe he can't do that with other heroes and adapt to their style.

Singer failed at that when he did Superman and basically made a Donner fan movie but i hope Nolan takes notice and changes his game accordingly.

As i said Nolan is atypical for these kinds of movies but given his very creative mind i guess he'll come up with something. It's no guarantee though.. everyone was superexcited when Singer took over Superman after delivering the X-Men movies and he blew it.
    Can happen to Nolan but doesn't have to.

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^ I would disagree that Nolan hit Batman as a character spot on. His take on Batman was successful of that there is no doubt just going by box office, but I always found the character being based on fear to be weak.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that case, you should probably build a time machine, travel back to 1939, and take that up with Bill Finger, before he writes that Bruce Wayne intends his disguise to strike terror into the hearts of criminals, in Detective Comics #33....

http://screamsheet.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/batman-origins.jpg

http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com/2011/11/detective-comics-33.html

17. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Batman is supposed to be a detective. he did zero detective work in the Nolan films and resorted to being a brute for 3 movies. Nolan did not get the character right at all

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Literally zero???

Just off the top of my head,

In Batman Begins, Batman was looking for clues in the Narrows, when he's first gassed by the Scarecrow.

In The Dark Knight, Batman traced the mob's money with marked bills.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Also in Dark Knight, he uses a machine to rebuild a fingerprint to identify who might have been the marksman. That, too, sounds like detective work.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I find the rumor hard to believe without more official confirmation. That being said, what am I supposed to do, just ignore the thread? So my thoughts are assuming it's true.

First off, tone would be a major issue. I have no doubt that Nolan would be capable of capturing the tone of each hero if he wanted to. However, the ideal tone he would capture isn't something entirely consistent with a single universe. This is especially true with Batman. He could have gone with a campier Batman tone (which has been done in the past), but the story would have suffered. I think Christian Bale as Batman makes far and away the most sense from a studio perspective for this movie (in fact, I wouldn't bother including Batman at all if it isn't Bale), but the necessary tone adjustment is difficult.

Second, the ending in TDKR doesn't have to be completely undercut. As long as the movie isn't set in Gotham, he can more or less "un-retire" to help out and then return to Italy after. Yes, he isn't technically free from Batman, but it's such a once in a lifetime emergency that it might make some sense. From a Gotham perspective, no one will really know it's the real Batman that did it. They can either play this big (scenes where he has to decide whether to help out) or small (he just shows up, maybe one scene where he figures out what's going on and decides to help). Maybe at the end, with the establishment of the Justice League, he knows that he isn't the only one who has to help out.

Third, since starting out with Superman would be stupid and I just made the argument why you can't start with Batman (although, from a story perspective, Batman would far and away make the most sense as a starting point since he is the most human and the most relatable), this means a different or new character should start. They have to make the Ryan Reynolds decision, but I'm not sure I would start with Green Lantern anyway since he has other logical people to turn to. That means starting with a different character and building a story around that character.