Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I actually already skipped season 6, so less obligation there. ;)

2. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Literally the only good thing about season 6 is the final scene... which just as easily could've happened at the end of season 5 if the writers didn't have Deb be a moron for no good reason. Then we could've skipped that travesty of a season (which I still consider worse than season 8) gone straight into the events of the halfway decent season 7, end things with Deb killing Dexter instead of LaGuerta (or some other series finale type conclusion) and the show would've gone out on a fairly high note, with only two mediocre seasons (3 and 5) and no bad seasons (6 and 8) *sigh* If only...

Anyway, I'm halfway through rewatching season 2 now. Not quite as good as season 1 (I'm not too fond of the Lila and Rita stuff) but the noose-tightening of the Bay Harbor Butcher storyline is great fun. A shame they did it so early in the show's run, though. Should really have been held back as a final season storyline.

3. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wished the final season of Dexter was more like the gusty final season of Breaking Bad by exploring the fallout of the main character's morally questionable actions to its inevitable conclusion. Like, if the plot of Season 8 was like this:

Sick of living with the guilt about LaGuerta’s death and lying about it, Deb decide to redeem herself by owning up to what she did and bringing down Dexter as well. It was LaGuerta’s last act to bring Dexter to justice. Deb wants to finish what she started out of respect to her and to truly atone for herself turning a blind eye on her brother's activities. But Deb knows it is going to take more than a written testimony by her covering everything she knows about Dexter’s murderous past to convict him. She needs concrete evidence and covertly seeks it out. Dexter at some point finds out about what Deb is trying to do and fights to prevent it. He is faced with the question of how far he is willing to go to survive, if he can live with the price of survival being Deb’s death. Deb realizes that if she is going to take down her brother, she is going to need some help. So she enlists Quinn as an ally. Quinn confesses to Deb about his suspicion that Dexter may have killed Liddy in Season 5 but he had no way of proving it back then. While willing to help Deb gain evidence against Dexter, Quinn is conflicted about Deb turning herself in. Meanwhile, Angel refuses to give up on the investigation into LaGuerta’s death despite the fact that the case has grown cold. He suspects that her killer is someone within the department.

If Season 8 was more like this, the whole season would have been one powder keg of dramatic tension the likes of which hasn't been seen since Season 4.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

0Sigh.

It's a shame that they dragged on the show for another year. After season seven, my curiosity was piqued in a way that hadn't happened since Rita died. The series pretty much died with her.

(Overdramatic?)

Edit - on a side note, is the Dexter book series any good? I found Dexter in the Dark (the third one?) for £1 in a charity shop, so thought why not.

5. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Season 4 should have been the final season IMO. Dexter would be remembered as a pretty great show which ended on a high note.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After putting it off for a loooong time, (More like gave up on the show after season 6) I finally watched the final seasons on Netflix. So basically, Dexter's overall story arc is that he is a loner psychopathic serial killer who decides to not be alone for a while, and after destroying pretty much everyone he chooses to connect with, in one way or another, he decides he was right in the first place, & goes back to being alone, subsequently abandoning his son to a murdering fugitive estranged lover?

How fucking stupid is that? lol

Ultimately, Trinity was right about him. He's a fucking child. If he had been anything but, he would have just took off once he found out about himself from his brother. This ending has made everything after season one pointless

7. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope you're not mad at us for not warning you.

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol. I didn't need a warning. I pretty much knew there was no finding their way back, but seeing how stupefying it got was really odd after all this time, for sure

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral