The Fall: Book 4: The Poisoned Chalice cover art revealed

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kertrats47, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My theory on the Poisoned Chalice is that it has something to do with the Trois - Lwaxana is the holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When was the last time we saw Lwaxana? My first thought was of the Mirror Universe story The Sacred Chalice, but that was only because they both have Chalice in the title.

3. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

If memory serves, I think the last time we saw Lwaxana in A Time For War/A Time For Peace. She was getting on Riker and Troi's nerves in planning their wedding.

4. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now I'm reminded - how come there hasn't been a mention of Lwaxana learning of her granddaughter? I would have expected her to move heaven and earth to be able to begin doting on Natasha in some way or another.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Beautiful cover. Can't wait.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The exploration part of Titan has been a lot about worlds in danger, and I can remember at least 5 novels in which worlds were destroyed or on the brink of destruction. So if they do go back to exploring, I would love to see more actual exploring instead of stumbling across a world which is close to going boom. Hell, they literally watched two planets explode in two following novels (The Red King and Orion's Hounds). Perhaps in Orion's Hounds the planet didn't technically blow up, but it was hit upon by a huge plasmabeam twice.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding the front cover: It's a very pretty picture of a very ugly starship.

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget she also has her own son to raise.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Titan ugly? Really? Ah well, taste is subjective and all. But IMHO, there are a *lot* worse starship designs out there. (Ever seen the FASA Next Generation Officer's Manual? :p)

And, um, your avatar. The JJ-prise has grown on me over time, but the Vengeance? Not exactly aesthetically pleasing. Again, IMHO, of course.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think it was meant to be.

14. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I'm very pleased with this cover. :bolian:

Also; FYI, this book will not focus on exploration; The Fall series is about the issues that spin out of Revelation & Dust and how they affect the Federation.

And while Lwaxana does get a namecheck, anyone who thinks the title is to do with her or the Sacred Chalice is off-base. This is more about the Macbeth quote... ;)

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Awesome!

Good to hear.

Sounds interesting.

OT: I started "Synthesis" this past Saturday. Fantastic book so far. :techman:

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Said quote being Act I Sc. vii l. 10-12: "This even-handed justice / Commends the ingredients of our poison’d chalice / To our own lips." Macbeth is hesitating over the killing of Duncan because he's contemplating the consequences that will befall him if his crime is discovered.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

And of course, the "King" -- or, rather, "Queen" -- is already dead. Which brings to mind the question: Who benefits from Bacco's assassination the way Macbeth gained from Duncan's?

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's probably too early to ask, but do you know if this is a major change in direction for Titan, or just for this storyline? Will the next Titan novel (assuming there is one) be political or exploration-y?

19. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it were a true parallel, I'd say Section 31.

20. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yes, I'm sure you're right. But I've also seen a few people go on in the "Movies XI+" forum about how beautiful she is. Eye of the beholder, eh?

Ishan Anjar. Governmental representative of the planet we've spent most of the first entry of the series near. Got that position by manipulating Krim out of the way. Now through an engineered crisis, has managed to get himself appointed as the head of said government. The "malfunction" of the chip was deliberate, and when the details of the Tzenkethi involvement come out, he'll be able to use the threat of the Typhon Pact to grant himself emergency powers and sideline the Council. Just all part of his nefarious plan to turn a peaceful, democratic federation into a ruthless, totalitarian empire!

OK, probably not.

(But just in case, those cadets at Starfleet Academy better watch their backs!!)