(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

True. I like how people are already cynicaly commenting that dnating his wages to charity is some kind of get around France's new taxes and that he'll actually be paid more surrepticiously!

2. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think there is something like that too but in the end, it doesn't matter. It good for the image of the team, it's good for Beckham's image, it's good for the charities who will receive the money. It's a win-win situation.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Just imagine that glimmer of hope the fans must have felt on Friday, opening papers to read rumours Mcleish had quit!

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The news should not be allowed to tease me with such things, Alex is a dead man walking and the owners are showing their true colours. Not good days :(

5. Shaytan

I'm going to be the happy supporter again : 1st of the Ligue 1 but this time it's not thanks to the goal difference ! Lyon lost this afternoon and is 3 points behind and Marseille lost a few minutes ago (at home against the last team of the Ligue 1 :lol: ) and is 6 points behind.

It's a perfect week-end :)

6. HappyDayRiot

^ Hurrah!

Mcleish gone. Happy days at Forest....if you ignore your stark raving mad owners.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fawaz Al Hasawi 25/1 on Skybet to appointment himself as the next Manager. LOFL! :lol:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Are they the Venkeys in disguise?

Utter madness, if anything sacking McCleish isn't the worst of it, I still don't quite understand why they sacked O'Driscoll given Forest weren't doing too bad under him. I guess there's always this need for instant success, but hard to think of many managers who've proven an instant success and got a team up at first time of asking...well aside from Jim Smith and Billy Davis with Derby of course :lol:

I think Ambramovitch has to take some of the blame, for constantly sacking managers yet getting success at the same time (although you have to wonder whether Chelsea might be even more succesful with some managerial stability).

I guess the worst case scenario for Forest would be if Al Hasawi does make himself manager? Clearly if he doens't they'll be looking for a puppet of some kind, so Forest fans' dreams of Billy returning would seem unlikely, I suspect Billy would engineer his departure quicker than even McCleish did!

I sometimes wish Derby had more ambitious owners than we do, but at times like this I'm sincerely glad we're run the way we're run.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And the poison dwarf returns...on a 3 and a half year contract.

Hmm, wonder what odds I'll get he'll be long gone before the end of that period?

10. Angel4576

Oh good, Davros is back at the helm. Hope Young Nigel has reloaded his knee..... :lol:

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it's going to prove a roaring success, or an absolute disaster, there won't be any middle ground. On the plus side he has proven he can do well with a team in this division, and he (for some reason) managed to retain the support of the forest fans, but the downside is that he likes to get his own way, he doesn't get on with his chairman and he spends money like it's going out of fashion (and sulks when he doesn't get his own way.)

Al Hasawi has clearly done this to appease the fans, but I wonder if he knows what he's let himself in for? Sometimes strong willed people can work well together, but this all seems rather strange. Why didn't they approach Billy when they sacked SoD? Why appoint McCleish then get rid soon after? something fishy somewhere...

12. Angel4576

Davros at Forest, under the Hasawis, is a disaster, and laughing stock, waiting to happen IMO.

He thought Doughty was too interfering for not letting him spend as much money as he wanted, just imagine what he's going to make of the Hasawis trying to pick the team for him.

13. Shaytan

Before yesterday, I was a happy supporter, now I'm a very happy supporter. ANd the best thing is that I don't care about Zlatan's red card. They can play very well without him, that wasn't the case 3 months ago but now, there is a strong team.

14. HappyDayRiot

Only Zlatan. What a guy.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well the article is out of date somewhat given that the English team involved was Liverpool and the weren't actually involved. It was the opposition.

I think my first thought is that I'm not surprised, although given more recent stories it seems it's at its worst in China, which has seen countless players/officials banned for life in recent days (apparently an entire team really obviously contrived to score an own goal).

It's always struck me as an odd sport to fix, not like boxing where you can 'take a dive' I mean even if the keeper's in on it and lets soft goals in, this doesn't preclude the rest of the team playing well and still winning. A lot of the cannier fixing seems to be related to spot betting on things like the time of a first corner/throw in etc.

Sadly the rise in gambling nowdays just makes it all the more likely. I'm literrally horrified at how dereggulated the industry in the UK seems to be now (thanks to Labour when in power) and I wonder what the stats say about the numer of people now with gambling addiction compared with before. Plus it makes me hate Ray Winston...

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Will Rafa even last at Chelsea till May? Of course none of their fans will critisise Roman over this, he who owns the purse strings makes the rules...I notice as well that Cardiff's owners are mooting the whole name change to the Cardiff Dragons if they're promoted.

They realise this is football not the NFL right?

18. Shaytan

For the record : Beckham played 80 minutes yesterday and he did a good job.

With style :
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lnJS5mWnX8[/yt]

He also made a new friend, with style too :lol:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufk0Bvn0V2U[/yt]

During this time, another Englishman (Barton) was also making a new friend :lol:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdyA5WpKW04[/yt]

This is the feeling of a PSG-OM :lol:

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Man Utd 1-2 UEFA

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I do tend not to like CR very much, but he impressed me with his incredibly muted goal celebration...of course maybe he's being extra cautious because he's lining up a return...which may be the same reason Rooney was on the bench!