If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CuttingEdge100, Dec 5, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

No, FIRST hand source (a person at Round 2).

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

According to CRA, it was a person who heard from someone at Round 2 then posted it on hobbytalk. Second-hand information from that poster, which was then relayed by CRA here making it third-hand.

The information has been passed on and on, so that it's appearance here by CRA is third-hand at best like a game of telephone.

There is no original source, no link to this post and no official statement from Round 2. Posting on a board does not make information legit unless that post comes straight from the source, in this case, an employee at Round 2. That it was posted by someone who happened to ask a question of someone (how do we know if he really did) then the information is hearsay and not a viable source of information.

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, in any case, the latest word from Round 2 is that they are interested in the property, in spite of the controversy (maybe even because of it), but Paramount won't sell (more of this idiotic secrecy clampdown they're trying to keep on this thing).

4. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

What happened to Shaw?

5. Captain Robert April

Must be this "real life" thing I've been hearing people talk about...

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Hypothermia? :eek:

I do pretty well in cold conditions (even for someone like me who was born and raised in San Diego), but when we get sustain temperatures below zero (down to -22) I tend to go into hibernation mode.

7. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know what your feeling :)
    I want to go into that mode my self when we have these temperatures.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

Temperatures have been pretty unusual in California lately...

9. Captain Robert April

Well, it is January...

10. CuttingEdge100

I'm wondering what Shaw was talking about when he was discussing the idea of the ship having "cabins" in the lower rim of the saucer.

Are those like crew-quarters, or something else?

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

A more interesting question is what something else you believe cabins might mean. I've used the term consistently throughout my posts, so I'd be interested in hearing what other meaning you are envisioning when I (or anyone else) refers to cabins. :wtf:

12. CuttingEdge100

Those cabins... are they big enough to be able to stand in them?

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Stand? :wtf:

A little less than three weeks ago I posted a diagram which included a edge cross section with figures of people (for people who are unwilling or unable to do measurements themselves) to help illustrate the sizes we are talking about.

Those cabins would appear on screen to be identical to the one in the series... this is helped by the fact that the beams in the cabin in the series were significantly lower than what we saw in the corridors or even other rooms.

I'm not a revisionist... if the set plans for something doesn't fit reasonably well in some place, they wouldn't be placed in that area.

I'm not sure why vivid drawings aren't enough to convey these ideas, so being at a loss for other explanations, if I think you are asking something that seems obvious in my previous illustrations I'll assume that you knew the answer already.

One thing that you might do to help save us both some time, take this illustration to Kinko's or some place, have them print out a couple 24x36 versions of it... cut out the actual original set plan elements that I put in it so that you can move those pieces of paper around on the larger sheet to get a feel for what might work (or not work) on the ship at that scale. Of course when printed out at 24x36 you might notice that I have already placed a copy of the cabin plans in that part of deck 6 just so I could get a feel for if it would fit there.

Don't take this suggestion the wrong way... I already did this a long time ago for my own reference. :techman:

14. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

How many cabins, and how many people could be placed on the saucer-rim?

CuttingEdge100

15. Captain Robert April

Depends on how comfortable they need to be.

If there's one thing that the Rec Room scene in TMP shows, it's what 430 people look like when bunched up in one place.

16. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Well, here is my early estimates from last year...

[​IMG]

I figure if you are in an outer ring cabin, you are an enlisted crew member and have to share your cabin with at least on other person.

Note that the back two quadrants of ring 1 extend out so that there are no rear quadrants of ring 2 on deck 5. That area is reserved for rooms that might require more than your average floor plan size, and I have avoided putting any crew cabins in those areas. Ring 0 is generally reserved for core service locations (including places like sickbay on deck 5 and the main energizers on deck 7).

17. CuttingEdge100

The lower part of the saucer rim is what deck? Deck 6 or 7 right?

18. CuttingEdge100

Never mind, I checked a few posts back. Deck 5 and 6 are the rim from what I checked

19. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

The one on the bottom looks like the best one!:) But if I could just make a suggestion if I my? Bring the nacelle a little closer to the saucer section and I think you have a winner there.

20. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's just you. :)