Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I think that's a rather splendid piece of casting. I'd read a few days ago that they were looking at someone in the Alan Rickman/Hugh Laurie/ Ken Wanatabe-authority figure mould. They've clearly decided to break the mould a little and cast an authoritative woman. Fantastic.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel keeps snagging quality talent for roles.
    Glenn Close is added to a rich talent pool that Marvel has landed for their films to date.
    Anthony Hopkins, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Redford....who might they get next?

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I am not sure I want to see Glenn Close in the tight fitting leather uniform of the Nova Corps, or maybe I do.......

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The cast for this movie is like the exact opposite of the avengers. Avengers had a lot of great actors, GOTG has (so far) one wild card (Chris Pratt), two horrible actors (Saldana and Bautista), and possibly a weird old woman in a role that doesn't make much sense (and one other guy playing a character I don't know). I didn't expect them to hire actors that are as big as the avengers guys, but this is just weird. I want to be excited for this movie, and I'm not without hope that it will be good. I just wish it didn't have such a bizarre cast.

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    First time I've ever heard Glenn Close referred to as a "weird old woman." They sign a great actor to be on the movie and you find a way to make it a criticism.

You sir, are quite the Debbie Downer.

6. kirk55555

If they cast Clint Eastwood or Michael Cain as the head of the Nova corps, I would have said weird old man. I have nothing against Glenn Close. Looking at her work on wikipedia, I've only seen her on Mars attack, and heard her voice on the animated Tarzan and some episodes of the Simpson's, and neither really gave me an opnion on her. Having an almost 70 year old woman as the leader of the Nova corps was mostly why I said they hired a weird old woman. She doesn't fit at all, and it is really stupid casting. It has nothing to do with her personally. She could be a great actor (she'd have to be brain dead to be worst than Bautista and Saldana regardless) its just that her role makes absolutely no sense.

7. Ruaidhri

Please, go watch some of her films. Start with Fatal Attraction and work your way from there.

8. kirk55555

Looking online, its definately not my kind of movie, and the same is true of most of her stuff. She could be (and probably is) a fine actress, just not one that has done the kind of movies I like.

9. Ruaidhri

Fair enough--I won't badger you about it. But I would say, sometimes you'd be surprised what you like if you step out of your comfort zone. :)

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love this. I have to give Marvel some major props for going for unexpected, but friggin amazing actors for there movies. I didn't think they could outdo Robert Redford for WTF (in a good way) casting, but now they have.
    Another good choice for exposure to Glenn Close is Damages. Great show. It also stars X-Men: First Class's Moira McTaggart, Rose Byrne, and over the seasons it's also features Ted Danson, Nikita's Noah Bean, OUAT's Anastasia Griffith, William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Justified's Timothy Olyphant, John Goodman, Martin Short, John Goodman, Spartacus's John Hannah, Jenna Elfman, and a lot of other great actors.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

This project sounds interesting, it might end up being an interesting failure, but interesting nonetheless. I'm starting to look forward to this. With this and stuff like Ant-Man on the horizon, Marvel might have a solid one-two punch of big blockbusters on one hand and quirky second tier stuff on the other.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do have to compliment Marvel for being willing to take some big chances on some pretty out there stuff. We definitely can't accuse them of just sitting back and doing to same thing over and over again.

13. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Totally agree:techman: In fact I think they should have cast Close as Death and told her to just play it like Patty Hewes—she would have Thanos quaking in his boots/swooning in no time flat!

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Nothing against her and you call her a weird old woman? What would you have called her if you did have something against her?

Given that she's played a strong police captain who was able to boss Vic Mackey about in The Shield, the Vice-President of the USA (to Harrison Ford's POTUS in Air Force One) as well as the First Lady in Mars Attacks, a bad-ass lawyer in Damages, a chief justice in The West Wing, Eleanor of Aquitaine in The Lion in Winter, Cruella DeVille, not to mention the many other authoritative and commanding woman in her career and her role as one of the all-time greatest screen villainesses in Fatal Attraction, I think she is more than qualified for this role.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

How exactly would Eastwood or Caine be "weird old men"? That also wouldn't come off as accurate either. They are both fully and highly accredited men in their field, regardless of age at that.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Karen Gillan, Dr. Who's "Amy Pond", has been cast as an un-identified villain.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It would be really odd if David Tennant was the voice of rocket raccoon and Karen had the bigger role. It should be the other way around.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith: "Dammit!"

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Hollywood Reporter says she's the lead female villain.

My immediate thought was Death.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If you haven't seen Glenn Close in Damages you have no right to even talk about her.

And some Doctor Who fun... Nice.