Your Love For Amok Time !!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nero's Shadow, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This remains a favorite episode for me, as I saw it in the late 1980s when I was not quite a teenager yet, but starting to appreciate the types of issues this episode delat with at the time. Excellent story, characterisation moments and action.
    A solid Trek.

2. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Good gravy, all these posts and no one has yet mentioned Gerald Fried's absolutely essential contribution to "Amok Time." What great work from his pen and from the musicians as well.

3. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Good point. Amok Time's musical score is excellent.

4. Kalontas

Kalontas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Watched it for the first time a few days ago and it felt weird to have that whole irrational ritual with the Vulcans. Like Kirk aptly notes, "I always figured [you choose your mates] very logically". The episode itself wasn't bad, I knew beforehand what really is McCoy giving Kirk in that injection - generally I liked (though not loved) the episode. Not loved mainly because it felt illogical to have Vulcans... mate like animals, to put it shortly. Yeah, I know the repressed, calm ones are the quickest to crack down, but "Naked Time" has done it (Spock breaking up about his mother) much better IMO.

5. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I agree some great music score in this episode !!!!

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I would love a nod to this great score in the next film. That would be fun.

7. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

It sort of never bothered me because I just always figured that a) Vulcans are very emotional and volatile under all that reason and logic and thus NEED the logic - to the point of overdoing it - to keep themselves in control and that b) Spock, being the only one really giving us insight about what Vulcans are like, exaggerated a lot. After all, he, being half human, had to be more Vulcan than Vulcans to be accepted.

8. RedShirtNoob

RedShirtNoob Ensign Red Shirt

It is a fine episode. I watched it for the first time last Sunday. Many things made it an enjoyable and memorable experience for me. I thought Spock's curious behavior was intriguing, as was Pon farr altogether. Finally seeing Vulcan was a treat too.

I had a couple of verbal outbursts during the episode; once at T'Pring when she chose Kirk as her champion and then again at McCoy when the fight was over. "CPR! CPR! CPR!"

The fact that Vulcans didn't choose their mates by any logical means didn't bother me. My only qualm with the episode was Kirk's reasoning for accepting the role of T'Pring's Champion. It felt, to me, less like something Kirk chose to do and more like something the writer forced him to do.

It's one of my favorite episodes as well. :techman:

9. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

One thing that bothers me about the episode is Spock's line after they're all back on the Enterprise. The "Ah, yes, the girl" bit. Strangely dismissive and uninterested, considering she was his wife to be and almost got either him or Kirk killed. (And it's kind of jarring to hear him use the word "girl", as T'Pring was supposedly the same age as he was - they were bonded when they were 7, after all.)

10. Kalontas

I don't think it's unlikely for males to refer to females of their age as "girl". Unless both are over 40, it's rather common IMO - on Earth, or on Vulcan.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It's also the national anthem of Zoidberg's home planet on Futurama!

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Could get your ass kicked, though. I've occasionally given a firendly "Good morning, girls" at work, only to be roundly rebuked with a cold "We're WOMEN, not girls!" :eek: That led me to start saying "Good morning, ladies." Unfortunately I run into someone who doesn't like being called "lady" once in a while. Maybe I'll just smile and nod from now on.

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I usually just say "Good morning, Humans."

Of course, then I got the animal lover people on my ass.

14. Kalontas

You should then be saying "Live long and prosper, Earth people". Hey, nobody can deny he's from Earth!

Forbin, I think at that point one notices that there's no way he will please everyone and just does whatever he feels like it. :P

15. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yeah, it's just that Spock is usually precise with words.

(Or at least he yells THE WOMEN!!!!!! instead of THE GIRLS!!!! :rommie: )

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Another bit about logic: T'Pring couldn't have known that Spock would bring any friends along, so she must have changed her plans on the proverbial dime when she saw Kirk. After all, Spock might have killed Stonn. So this was a way to get Stonn without risking his life - something he didn't reason out as quickly. Oh, how he makes her pay for that insult to his masculine pride in the fanfiction! :devil:

17. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

:rommie::rommie::rommie:

It seems we frequent the same websites.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I kinda did. I even got so annoyed once that I said "Act like an adult and I'll call you a woman." (and ran like hell).

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We have to remember that Spock's betrothal to T'pring was an arranged one, an agreement between their parents. In that situation Spock reveals he really doesn't have genuine feeling for T'pring other than a sense of responsibility. When his fever had passed and T'pring's character revealed it's easy to see how he'd have no further interest in her.

Interesting that Sarek managed to break tradition to marry Amanda, a human woman he clearly loved. And yet Sarek is pissed for decades because his son didn't follow his wishes and adhere to expectations. I'm quite sure Sarek raised a few eyebrows when he chose to marry an Earth woman.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Do as I say ... not as I do.

Given the male oriented, male dominated, culture of Starfleet of that time period, a culture that Spock had been living in for years, for Spock to refer to T'Pring as "the girl" seem quite likely.

Why would Spock be referring to T'Pring in a respectful way?

I seem to get a lot of mileage out of "Dear."

:)