New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. Having done so, I feel better about it.

Actually what I was waiting for is the paperback. It takes ALOT to get me to shell out for hardcovers anymore. Hopefully whatever problems the book has will be fixed by that edition.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though typos bug me -- I've not looked inside the covers of my own book since publishing for fear of when, not if, I find a typo therein -- or a grammar error -- or . . . but I digress . . .
    The depth into which TATV apparently so boldly goes does not interest me. Weird, because I do like getting into some production issues, like command shirt color. Just don't want the trees for the forest quite as much as the book seems to.

3. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having gone to Catholic school, the part about John D.F. Black choosing a "middle name" for his "conformation" was amusing in its mistakedness. :devil:

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, to be fair to the author, it would've taken time to verify that...I mean 20 to 50 seconds he'd never get back.

5. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Took me 15 to find this - second paragraph.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, "conformation" kinda fits, too. ;)

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. Maybe the author was trying to be clever.

Nah.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else notice that the top-90 "Trendex Ratings" Cushman includes on p.281 are:

(a) Nielsens, not Trendex
    (b) Shows 82-90 on the list don't match the book's stated source (p.68)
    (c) The actual list is of 106 shows, not 90

I know, I know -- picky, picky...

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I saw this quoted on another forum.

I have to say, if the author was simply worried that his interview subjects wouldn't be alive to read his work, why not just send them an early copy?

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ At least he's acknowledging the issue. And without knowing in detail what was going on in his life and everything involved I'm hesitant to second guess him. I have to agree that even with its flaws I thoroughly enjoyed the first volume and I do look forward to the next. If it means a small delay to get the next volume in better form then so be it.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

According to the Kickstarter page, Cushman has cancer, so when he mentions "health issues" I think he's underplaying it a bit.

12. plynch

Not quite sure the platform he's using, but POD is pretty easy to fix when there are problems. Upload an amended file and let the laserprinters roll! You're not stuck with warehouses or stores full of the error-filled version. Sounds like he needs a fact-checker and editor as well as proofer, though. I will do the proofreading for a fair price, Mr. Cushman, wherever you are.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Frankly, many of those mistakes would have been caught by a single decent proofreader in a few days.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Has there been any more clarification about the image pilfering aspect? I noticed that somebody else posted on amazon (a positive review) that touched lightly on this and of course there were the usual immediate responses from the usual couple of suspects decrying and making cries of foul and basically implying the poster should be beheaded for questioning the image rights issue at all ... pretty much the same as what I got when I brought it up there months back, yet with no new information, just the same old rhetoric.

(and no, I'm still not buying the books.)

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not that I know of.

Looking at those Amazon comments again, were the ones made by the publisher (and not "The Collector") deleted by the author?

Probably the wisest move, legally, although it certainly doesn't put the publisher in a very good light (not that anything they've done has, really).

16. plynch

To help me understand the platform being used: Is the book available in stores? Or only online via ordering?

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, it's not available in stores -- only online.

18. plynch

Easy to fix all those errors, then.

(I asked about bookstores as a clue to the author's platform because bookstores are loathe to carry self-published titles, even if the product is good. There is the longstanding racket whereby stores send books back for a sizable refund within a period of time, if they don't sell. They don't trust self-pubished authors to have the financial backing to cover big refund checks. Which is true.)

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

New interview about the book is now live on Trekcore.

As interesting for what it avoids as for what it touches on.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed reading that and I certainly look forward to the next volumes. I, too, was quite surprised to learn what we thought of the ratings isn't what we thought all these years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.