Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Feeling is mutual.... Its going to be one hell of a roller coaster ride to the end....

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

3. RangerH

4. Ithekro

From what I am hearing from those that did see the last Chapter, I can see openings for another series in the future. If what I read is correct and what I can piece together from the short trailer goes with what I know of the original series runs in the 1970s and 80s, than I see how they can get to the main plot and some of the subplot elements in a second and even third series remakes. I can even see them having a massive opening ot retell the three movies shown during those times that were not redone versions of the TV series.

A lot depends on what they would do with Gamilas after Yamato leaves and the fate of Dessler. He quite honestly is their most popular villain...even when he's a good guy. While killing him off is a reasonable thing to do, an opening for his return would suit the show and provide a way to get to his own powerful story arc (redemption).

5. Ithekro

Episode 23 came out over the weekend.

Yamato invades Gamilas.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Very underwhelming episode.

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought it was awesome. :lol:

Also, apparently episode 25 wasn't finished and at the theaters, there was basically a title card explaining that the didn't have the second half ready... which also means that people who went to the theater could only buy vouchers that promised them a BD later rather than the BD itself.

They are cutting it pretty damn close!

I am still curious about how 21 was aired, but not enough to try to scour the Japanese internets to do so.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, Episode 25 was not ready, but episode 26 was? (Or did you mean to say Episode 26?) Interesting also that the theatre goers either didn't receive some sort of compensation being that they bought a ticket and went in expecting to see the finale of the whole thing. (Or was it announced beforehand that the showing would be incomplete and refunds offered?)

9. Ithekro

It was announced several weeks in advance that part of episode 25 wouldn't be finished in time for the theatrical release due to quality issues. They apologied for that. I thin kthey gave an extra item at the theaters to compensate, but it was like a poster or something. The BD was also delayed a month for the same reasons.

It is guessed what is missing isn't plot critical, while episode 26 was plot critical, so they spent their time on that and left 25 until later. What is missing is about 8 minutes of material.

The episode will be on TV in two weeks. Complete for the first time.

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, still a strange problem to have though. I guess they booked all the theaters and such and couldn't push those screenings to at least have a complete experience for them even if they couldn't get the BDs pressed in time, but hey... fans will put up with anything these days.

11. Hound of UIster

Probably changes were made too late either on the script or animation side that delayed the final product.

12. Ithekro

Or it was the introduced TV schedule and then realization that their orignal schedule for theater and BD releases would happen after the TV episodes came out. Thus they had to shift the theater release ahead so they can get the theater sales before the TV episodes come out. And ran into problems because they didn't have has much time as they really needed.

13. RangerH

Was hoping that a fansub group would have done eps 23 and 24 by now. I am guessing everyone is waiting for the BD's to come out in Oct instead.

14. Ithekro

That's that guess, yes. Or the person they have to "sub" it actually went to the theater and will be getting their BD copy about a month earlier that everyone else. We still would have to wait until the 25th or even October 10th, so something for one of those to come about. Otherwise, we wait until October 25th plus shipping time.

But they can be watched Raw, and about half to two thirds of it can be understood with series knowledge or just how things happen. I've found MBS can be watched online live as I've been watching the episodes as they air (1am Pacific time on Sunday).

15. RangerH

I can understand the first part.

I have watched the original with subs, and I have the Starblazers version too on VHS. SO I pretty much know what will go on in the next 4 eps. Of course I would like to watch 2199 eps to see what they added and subtracted from the original. I can not watch MBS since I am on the east coast.

On another note. In almost all the eps, there is some sort of reference to either a movie or anime without actually naming them. It is always something that does not look obvious at first. Ep 14 there are two homages to a movie and an anime. When Yuki and Kodai return to the Yamato, it is rotating end over end, which if you have ever seen "2010 the year we make contact," you will see that the Space Ship Discovery does the same thing. The anime that is referenced is when they are in the elevator shaft going down and Yuki accidentally steps on on Kodais head. That is a homage to Vandread albeit reversed going up instead of down and the main male character runs into the woman's rear. There are more of these coincidences or homages in other eps. But you have to have a working knowledge about them. I wonder what is in the last four eps that will keep us all guessing. Oh I should point out that ep 5, before the fighters launch while getting ready and getting into their fighters, you hear all the noise of engines starting and at low levels. The same thing was in Star Wars before they launched to take on the Death Star.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  16. Hound of UIster

There aren't that many fan translators to go around these days.

17. Ithekro

I found that one can watch "MBS TV Online" via some sort of streaming site. So I doubt it matters were in the world you are to view it. I found it via Google. It isn't the most stable thing though.

18. RangerH

Google is popping up everything but MBS. Even going thru several pages. All the top hits, are for a lot of sites that are carrying it though. The sub that is. Even though there is no video. One site has had over 95,000 hits for ep 23 already. But no video.

19. Ithekro

http://tv.exitoostore.com/2013/09/tv-online-mbs-v2.html

I think this on works, but all it does it show MBS live. Not downloadable or even saved version of Yamato 2199. I just basically lets one watch TV from another country that, if you happen to be watching at the right time, will see the new episode of Yamato 2199,

That time being Sunday at 5:00 pm Tokyo Time. Which would be I think 4:00 am Eastern Time. 1:00 am Pacifc. 9:00 am GMT?

20. Ithekro

Well that was interesting.

(it is on nosub.tv now.)