Sanctuary 1x03 - "Fata Morgana" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RaymondJames, Oct 10, 2008.

?

Grade this episode 1x03 "Fata Morgana"

1. Excellent

3.7%
  2. Above Average

22.2%
  3. Average

51.9%
  4. Below Average

18.5%
  5. Poor

3.7%
  1. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm judging from the responses, I think I may have to pass on this show, lol.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'm not sure what the hate is about. I mean, it's not the best thing ever, but I've seen plenty worse.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^At a guess, heroes who don't torture and kill are politically incorrect for Bush's America.

PS Folding Man was pretty decent. Skyscrapers in ruins too! "Clipped his wings!" "Knows when you switched from boxers to briefs.!"

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, this was last week's episode, correct? Based on the title, I'm guessing this is a reworked version of the second webisode storyline? Do we finally find out how it ends?

5. Michael_One

Michael_One Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh yes, last night's ep was much better, it did feel a lot like X-Files with the guys who can fit through small spaces but don't eat your liver...

The show almost feels like a good role playing game where Drs Magnus and Zimmerman along with Ashley are the PCs. Henry would need more to do to make him a PC.

The greenscreen wasn't as obvious this time around, Ashley meets the Crime Boss looked pretty good. The idea many of the abnormals end up in organized crime is disturbing but makes sense given the setting.

6. theenglish

I felt the same way watching the "webisodes"; that this would make for a great GURPS setting.

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

The principle cast are awful.

Amanda Tapping really can't act, this weeks guest star that guy from Regenesis, he put the weekly cast to shame. He was conspicuously better than any of the 3 leads.

8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Not bad. I think it could use a little larger cast.

I don't care about the technical stuff, I've watched Dr. Who for years.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Amanda is definitely the weak link. The other two don't bother me much.... esp. that extremely hot blond chick. I don't even care whether or not she can act.

10. theenglish

I think that Tapping's main problem is the horrendous accent that fades out at the end of every long sentence she speaks. What's more, there doesn't really have to be a british (?) accent for the character--I was hoping that they would lose this for the television series, or give her a vocal coach.

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I just figure the accent is one of those strange blends of dialects you get when you're 165 years old. Really, if that's the most you have to complain about, you're doing pretty well.

12. theenglish

Don't get me wrong. I quite liked the web series quite a bit and the pilot. I just think the accent has to go.

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Oh, I agree. I think this show is pretty good.

14. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm enjoying it.

I've noticed the greenscreening being better as well. When they were on the scraper framing I expected to see them bouncing up and down slightly but it looked fine.

15. theenglish

Worse, like the new Knight Rider, for example. It is also much better than Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon.

16. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I don't think I would notice the green-screening as much if I wasn't looking for it.

17. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't think you'll get much argument there :lol:

Regarding the green screening, I don't think it's too bad myself, I like the production design as well.

You are right about the accent, although I stand by my comments in general. I think this triumvirate they've set up seems quite contrived to me as well, and the characters are pretty lifeless. So there's good and there's bad.

18. theenglish

I think the chemistry in the cast will pick up. So far, they've been treading over ground already covered in the webisodes. If you check those out, I actually think you'll find the acting a little better.

19. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Eh, this is my last episode. Had some hope after the pilot, but it's gone down hill quicker than I'd imagined. The guy with the glasses is just whiny, annoying, and dumb. He doubts everything, yet has seen mind blowing things week after week.

Hot blond can't save it for me.