Xindi attack and its effect on Trek history

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mach5, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Assuming that Daniels wasn't lying, and the Xindi crisis was never meant to happen, that would de facto mean that the prime timeline was overwritten by ENT's season 3, no?

BTW, TATV? That is one episode for which we can say with utmost certainty that it happened in some obscure, never before seen alternate reality in which Riker and Troi at some point contracted some contagious form of progeria, Thomas Riker served aboard Enterprise, science uniforms weren't blue but turquoise and Starfleet officers were all suicidal.

2. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

Chronologically speaking, Enterprise takes place before all other Star Treks. Therefore, any alterations made to that time period would have already had an effect on the rest of the Trek timeline. Whether or not it was added to Daniels history is moot, as that era remained more or less intact since Daniels is still around in and doing his thing.

Enterprise experienced those altertions and as far as Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway are all concerned, it's history.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Off topic, but the hell...

What is the deal with the colour of TNG uniforms anyway? Way before TATV, I was noticing how the shades changed over the series. It's something nobody but me seems to pickup on. Does the fabric change under different lighting conditions? Or from video to film or digital? It happened a lot in FX shots, say Picard's uniform in front of the viewscreen. I'm aware that for us lot in Britain, the pitch of actors voices changed - sounding quicker due to the frame rate... but did converting NTSC to PAL also screw the colour up from time to time?

Is the same thing as Kirk's TOS tunic which fans watching on TV for decades assummed was Gold, but is in fact a shade of green? There's undeniably a difference in colour apparent when comparing Trials and Tribble-ations (90's video) with remastered Trouble with Tribbles (60's film)on Blu-ray. So I think video is contributing factor in all this.

I find it hard to believe they screwed up on the uniforms. Jonathan and Marina joked how they had to squeeze back into them. Didn't they just pull them out of storage after 11 years? Hadn't Medical/Sciences always been that colour, but for some reason only a HD camera could recreate it accurately?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I guess... But the difference is more than obvious:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Arrghhhh! Take it away! Take it away!

It's like acid for my eyes...

I'm in my happy place.

I'm in my happy place.

I'm in my happy place.

Traumatised,

Chris

6. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure I understand the idea that history was "meant" to go a particular way. Stuff happens, y'know?

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:D

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All that means is that Daniels's timeline didn't have a historical record of a conflict between humans and Xindi. For all we know, his timeline is different than the Trek Prime Timeline.

No actually, only the final mission was depicted as a holodeck program.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

What makes you think Daniels comes from our timeline? What if he's from an alternate future timeline rather than ours? What makes you think that what was "supposed" to happen in his past is what was "supposed" to happen in the Prime Timeline?

10. Mirror_Barclay

Mirror_Barclay Commander Red Shirt

Yes.

Assuming there was a finale to Enterprise showing Riker and Troi in the holodeck - and that's too stupid to believe - but if we pretend there was, are we going to say that Riker and Troi watched a re-enactment not of a particular mission, but of four years of history? During the crisis situation of one TNG episode?

That gives new meaning to the phrase "Star Trek Marathon."

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I actually like this theory, comical or not. The Xindi and the Kzinti could be the same thing. Why not a feline Xindi race?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When did that happen? I dont recall anything in TATV stating that the events were a fictional holodeck program as opposed to the re-creation of actual historical events.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only TATV itself was a holodeck program. The ENT series as a whole is 'real'.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Good to know. Because I was afraid the the Alamo (mentioned in Ds9) might only exist as a holo program, too. Which would wreak havoc with my San Antonio, TX childhood.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Parrallels is a special case. That was different parrallel universes. Not alternate timelines.

Think of the Mirror Universe, and you'll get it.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's "cartoony or not", to be sure. :devil:

The only problems there are ones of timing. If the feline Xindi really struck a full 200 years before the TAS episode, then they'd have been attacking mere years after Cochrane's first flight. Earth would have been unlikely to triumph, except if aided by the Vulcans - and in that case, the feline Xindi would not consider Vulcans harmless herbivores...

If Sulu's "200 years ago" merely means "more than 100 years ago", though, then everything is possible. For all we know, the felines persisted with attacks against Earth even after the rest of the Xindi had ceased and desisted. For all we know, the Xindi flying the first, Florida-burning weapon was a feline one... And the last attack came sometime between "Terra Prime" and "These Are the Voyages", that is, about 120 years before the TAS episode.

Of course, I'm sure there were dozens of small conflicts before ENT that never got mentioned in episodes of ENT or TOS or the other spinoffs. Earth always gets attacked by all sorts of galactic riffraff, and somehow always prevails. Just because a past conflict is introduced to us is no proof that it suddenly "emerged into the timeline" or anything: Earth's history is martial through and through, and things like the Cardassian War or the Romulan War can easily be introduced in a single episode or even half a phrase, without this signifying that they were brought on by time travel, retcon, writer laziness or any such thing.

The very same thing, IMHO. A difference that makes no difference ain't a difference.

Timo Saloniemi

17. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Exactly! Bob Orci referenced "Parallels" many times and used it to justify his ST XI mcguffin.

As for the Daniels dilemma, the man who could give us a definitive answer logs in here every day, but probably enjoys our discussions too much to interfere. :lol:
    (Mike Sussman, of course)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the way I see it, no. An alternate universe is a distinct physical location. Matter in one universe has a distinct quantum signature that differentiates it from that of another universe. One can travel from one universe to another.

Not so with alternate *timelines*, which coexist in the same universe and are generally the result of time travel interfering with the flow of history. Thus an alternate timeline is more like a concept or idea than a physical place.

So the Mirror Universe, for instance, is not an alternate timeline. For several reasons: 1) There's no proof that it ever "diverged" from the main timeline, and 2) It's possible to travel from the RU to the MU.

19. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Their historical databanks are incomplete. They 'extrapolated' certain portions of the recreation. (Yes, I am plugging my ears and shouting "naanaanaaa") ;)

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm I don't think that would work in terms of mathematics and physics. Two 'timelines' couldn't co-exist in all the same dimensions - there has to be something that differentiates them. I think scientists have extrapolated ten dimensions and each timeline or parallel must differ in at least one aspect in order to exist at all. I think the parallels are simply co-existing timelines.