The Lone Ranger

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this is really the core problem. At one point, the movie was going to have werewolves in it, and I think that could have gone a long way towards making things more interesting, because the Ranger is really little more than a sword-free Zorro knockoff.

... Anyhow, the preliminary box-office info is in: it's a disappointment for sure, but probably not a Speed Racer-level bomb; it'll join Prince of Persia and The Sorceror's Apprentice, and John Carter of M*** in the "failed franchises" category.

Pirates 5 is due two summers from now. If I were a Disney exec, I'd be re-reading that script super-hard to make sure it's a fine one.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I wonder how Disney execs are going to react if JJ Abrams stays true to form and delays the release date of Star Wars like he did his two Star Treks. Somehow, under these circumstances I don't think Disney is going to be as understanding as Paramount was.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. At least Pirates was a successful theme park ride at all of the Disney parks for decades before they decided to make the film - one especially successful with children.

The Lone Ranger did not have that much backend support.

BTW, Ranger cost Disney $250 million to make and made $49 million it's opening weekend.

Disney execs must be pulling their hair out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

JJ is more of a hired gun on Star Wars. He was given free reign and allowed to take his time by Paramount because they need to start over.

For Star Wars a storyline and screenwriter was in place before he was even hired. Obviously he will have input but he is not starting from scratch like him and the writers did the 2 Trek films.

Disney and Lucasfilm are going to be overseeing this. It does not seem he had a particular producer on ST above him. Kathleen Kennedy is a pro. She has respect from everyone in the business. Once it was decided they wanted a 2015 release they would have made it clear that was the expectation. Having real boss was likely one of the reasons JJ was at first reluctant to do this.

5. DarthTom

Actually as I understand it his biggest reluctance was moving his family to London where it will film and uprooting his children out of school in Los Angeles.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

LR was originally 250 Million but was whittled down for 215. I think Disney was getting a little scared at the budget getting out of control and they put a hiatus on the production to get the budget straighted out. Westerns are just not blockbuster summer films, it was a bad gamble on Disney's part.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the trifecta of Lucasfilm (Kennedy), Bad Robot (JJ) and & Disney should be enough to hold each other in check so Star Wars does not get screwed up.

8. DarthTom

DJango did well, albiet released in December. However, Django was hardly a classic Western film as the subplot was about slavery unlike LR

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Given Disney's one film a year strategy, I think the schedule is a bit more rigid. Also, as far as I know, Paramount's decision to move the release of Star Trek from December of 2008 to May of 2009 wasn't Abrams' decision, although it probably benefited the film.

10. DarthTom

As an aside, Helena Bohman Carter will always and only be Madam Lestrange in my mind. LOL

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not just a Western hero, but a particularly old-school Western hero. The Ranger has no dark side, no internal conflicts. He tries not to kill anyone. He does have a dramatic and violent origin story, yes, but his response to it is simply to be more lawful, honest, virtuous and honorable than anyone else. Add a mask and subtract the singing, he's not much different from a Gene Autry or Roy Rogers hero. I'm not really surprised the character seems to resist modern (much less post-modern) re-interpretations.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well I guess this puts the nail on 200 million dollar westerns.

-Cowboys and Aliens
    -Lone Ranger

Anyone attempting to try a third time would be foolish. It was fun while it lasted

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Are you talking budget or box office as Django and True Grit did pretty well.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

True Grit only cost $38M, and Django $100M. That's probably another reason to say goodbye to $200M budgets, because 1/2 or less budget did well

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was more making a reference to STID, which had it's original release date of June 2012 postponed because Orci and gang needed more time on the script. Plus there was some talk around the time Abrams was announced as Episode 7's director that he was considering postponing the 2015 date. Details.

But, due to Disney's desperation for a franchise and their plan to do an SW movie a year, I really can't see Disney indulging Abrams the way Paramount did. Hell, there are already rumours Paramount is looking for a director who can guarantee Trek XIII by 2016.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. DarthTom

I'm sure that Paramount is counting their blessings. Despite the fact that STID didn't knock it out of the park nor did World War Z both films are on track to make a profit for the company and create a long term viable franchise.

After Earth also flopped for Sony, you have to wonder if they are also worried about Elysium in August.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ironic in a way as:

Marvel's The Avengers allowed Disney to effectively shrug off John Carter of Mars

and it appears:

Iron Man 3 will allow them to absorb The Lone Ranger film's lacklustre BO performance.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Sound like Disney's new slogan should be:

Make Mine Marvel!

('Nuff Said optional)

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Disney needs to learn to not make so many flops!:lol: