Style Ocampa site gone!

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Lynx, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

And so the wonderful Style Ocampa site was gone.

This site about the character Kes and her different outfits, a brilliant side full of pictures and information is one of the victims of Yahoo greed.

So are also many other great sites, due to the greed and narrow-minded thinking of those in charge of Yahoo.

They have really suceeded in killing the creativity for many people. But what do they care? The only thing they have in their small brains is money, money, money, money and how to make more money.

Just wanted to tell the world how much I hate those greedy clowns. :mad:

2. KesArmy.com

KesArmy.com Cadet Newbie

Huge bummer for whatever the reason. I used it many time for reference and will miss it greatly. I have many of the original costumes that she wore and have started an archive at Kesarmy.com if anyone is interested.

Sad to see it go.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Sorry about your loss, but... :lol:

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

IIRC, people were given substantial notice that this action was going to occur. There was plenty of time to back up what was there and rehost the content somewhere else.

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I know I was bombarded with shutdown notices. About 2 a month since late July.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. Lynx

That was a very rude comment! :mad:

Mallory wrote:
    You are right. I was told early this spring that Geocities was closing down and spent one week to find a new home for my Kes Website. Still, I do find it a stupid and greedy act from the people in charge of Yahoo, an act which has killed many good websites even if some of them seem to have been abandoned.

Besides that, it isn't that easy to find a good web host today. I was lucky to find the excellent 110MB but there are a lot of other webhosts on which it's impossible to set up more than a four-page site.

KesArmy.com wrote:
    By coincident, I found out about your site yesterday, only a couple of hours after discovering that Style Ocampa was gone. It's a great site and I will put a link to it on my Kes Website. Keep up the good work! :techman:

7. iguana_tonante

No offence intended. But your obsession is kinda funny, you must admit. With all respect to their work, it was a site about Kes' outfits. Your frustration, while understandable, sounds a bit over the top for such an event. YMMV, obviously.

8. KesArmy.com

KesArmy.com Cadet Newbie

So, having interest in one thing is weird but posting on a Star Trek board isn't?

Six of one if you ask me.

9. Lynx

Honestly, it's not all about the Style Ocampa site. I've been going through a lot of favorite links recently and I feel really sad when I see how many good sites which are gone because of the greed and stupidity by "people in suits". I've actually criticized the decision of the Yahoo bosses before, long before I saw that the Style Ocampa site was gone.

Not to mention that it was a good site.

10. iguana_tonante

Everything is weird when seen from an external point of view. N No need to be sour about it. Embrace your weirdness and you will feel better about it. I know I do. ;)

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

to be honest, I'm not surprised they did it, but I'm surprise they finally did it. They've been threatening to kill the free package on Geocities for a couple years or more, I guess this time they finally decided they were in a position to pull the trigger.