2001 on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hambone, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

If they dropped 2001 and just called the remake A Space Odyssey you wouldn't have to worry about it.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of years: what's the status on Space: 2099?

The reboot series, not the updating/re-editing of the existing show.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But PotA had plenty of violence -- abductions, shootings, brutality, lobotomies, deaths both accidental and deliberately inflicted, you name it.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Hmm. Violence wasn't in the list. As we mentioned earlier, 2001 has a maniacal computer that kills a guy, cuts off life support to three more, and tries unsuccessfully to kill the 5th guy before he's able to shut it down. Also has some apes beating up other apes.

Likewise, Andromeda Strain features an entire town (with the exception of an old man and a baby) getting annihilated by a space virus.

Still, all three are pretty tame compared to recent blockbusters, including the remake of Planet of the Apes (which features an all-out war between the Apes and the hunter-gatherer human population).

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Exactly my point.

Well, I disagree. But there's no way to settle the argument, since there will never be a remake.

That was sixteen years ago, and it was moderately successful, but we can count that as an exception if you want.

As for qualifiers, subjectiveness and goalposts-- be serious. You can't not be aware of well-known social trends that have been going on for your entire lifetime.

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Kids these days are pretty into the violence and the killing. Movies, comics, video games. I'd know cause I'm a youngin. I love the killin and the bloodshed and whatnot. That's why Spartacus, Ben Hur, and The Dirty Dozen are my favorite movies ever.

I'll get off your lawn now.

7. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was fortunate to see "2001" in one of it's re-releases back in the 80s on the big screen...even better, the theatre that used to be in the center of my town had a genuine CinemaScope screen, which even though the movie wasn't shot in CinemaScope, the screen seemed to add depth to the picture.

Truly one of those films that needs to be seen BIG to be truly experienced and appreciated.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like I appreciate it in any version.

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I managed to see 2001 on the big screen last year when Alamdraft house showed it here in San Antonio. It was great to see details that are totally missed just by seeing it on TV. The set of Discovery, and even the spacesuits had detail on them that just get lost on a smaller screen.

-Chris

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That's why I prefer the pacific pace of older films like The Wild Bunch.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

When this thread started a few weeks back, after watching 2001 again, I decided that I wanted to refresh my memory of 3001, and found a hardcover at Half-Price Books. Just started in reading it last night; haven't gotten much past where Frank is brought back and has met Dr. Wallace. Although I know I enjoyed the book when it was first published sixteen years ago, I can't recall much about it.

At least now I have a complete collection of the Space Odyssey series.

12. Tom Hendricks

I started to re-read it also because of this thread. I haven't read it in over 20 years, its funny all the stuff you forget.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

No kidding. I suppose it might be partly because I only read it once (as opposed to 2010, which I read a couple of times). Or because I've read so much else since.

Either way, it's always a pleasure to re-read an ACC novel.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It came out in 1997, and you haven't read it in over 20 years?

Far out, man.

15. Tom Hendricks

It came out in 1968, cupcake :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think you misread Procutus's post, because he was talking about rereading 3001, not 2001.

17. Tom Hendricks

Indeed that's what happen. Glad I wasn't too snarky, hate when simple misreads blow up. Much appreciated for keeping me straight.