Why all the 'These are the Voyages...' hate?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by asl, Aug 15, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a dodgy holoprogram Riker picked up from a guy selling them out of a suitcase on the pavement of Rigel X. All the "history" was soap opery claptrap that had little to do with actual events. But Riker was only hoping to get Troi all sympathetic over him, he wanted to tell his sob story and have her help him and it would be hot. He didn't care about any ENT history lessons.

2. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

You know what could have been funny? If future guy was actually Riker, trying to change the timeline so he could be Captain of the Enterprise instead of Picard!!!

While all he needed to do is prevent him from being stabbed in the heart!

3. teacake

That does sound like Riker's fat arrogance and also I suppose that is why Future Guy was always sitting down to keep the stick firmly wedged.

4. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm with 2takesfrakes in that it was great to see these characters again. I'm sure that was the basic idea behind it, and I was grateful for that. But what was not good at all is why it needed to be tied into The Pegasus, or any other episode, at all? Why not just some stand-alone segment of Riker and Troi interacting? The Pegasus aspect was more distracting than anything else.

Had they done a 'generic' Riker-and-Troi-on-Enterprise D, we might now all be speculating on when it took place, rather than pointing out all the reasons it didn't work instead. :sigh:

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If that were the case (and it's an interesting idea Lance), then they should have done it like with TOS and TNG where at the conclusion of the last episode the ship is seen heading out for it next mission, which we never see.

Open ended.

:)

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I wonder why they didn't try to shop ENT around. It had 98 episodes (2 short of syndication), but UPN went off the air the same year as ENT. What would they have done if ENT did get a 5th season?

7. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had UPN picked up Enterprise for a fifth season the show would've been fit somewhere on the CW schedule. Among the former-UPN shows on the CW's first season were Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, and Girlfriends; there were slightly more WB shows that went into the joined network.

It's also misleading to say Enterprise was ``two episodes short of syndication''; a hundred episodes is regarded as a good, reliable syndication-friendly package and reaching the hundredth episode is a neat landmark. But it's not like 98 episodes is substantially less desirable. Syndication packages are deals between media corporations, not princesses and Rumpelstiltskin.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Friends, friends, friends,

While I certainly agree with alot of your critisims of TATV, you guys seem to be missing the most important point: They killed off Trip, the single most annoying, least likeable, worthless jackass in the history of Star Trek.

For THAT alone, this episode should go down in history as the single greatest, most satisfying, award winning piece of television that is ever likely to exist.

9. asl

asl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Huh? Trip was very likeable. Did you even watch the show?

10. teacake

Trip was annoying and lovely and saved by an excellent actor. An everyman who worked.

11. RandyS

Yes I did. That's how I know he wasn't likeable. Reed was much more likeable than Trip ever was. Trip was a jerk, and believe me, that's the NICEST thing that could ever be said about him.

12. Kobayshi Maru

I agree the TNG story needed to be as unimportant as possible. Plus they should have stayed for the speech. It makes no sense that they reviewed the whole story and left out the speech that's supposed to be etched in their history textbooks. It would be like watching a movie about De Gaulle and missing the part where he gives his June 18th appeal.

13. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a very large part of it, yeah. Imagine The Omega Glory fading back to the ship, just as they get to the part where Kirk is holding the constitution, saying "Over the years, you have slurred the meaning of the words..." :lol:. And in that example, we already know the words, even!

Once I realized that the Riker/Troi stuff was referencing The Pegasus, I started thinking about that episode, instead of the one I was watching. Admiral Pressman and phasing cloaking devices were not relevant here, yet they were foremost on my mind.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trip was awesome, fun and the opposite of bland...so yeah, I guess I just blew your definitive statement out of the water so hard the humpback whales' friends had to send another probe.

15. teacake

Easily the most popular character on ENT.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Trip was, in essence, meant to be McCoy. That was the ONLY reason why they made him from the South, to be a McCoy clone. The problem with this is that McCoy, while often sparring good-natured "insults" with Spock, never came off as downright mean or racist. And McCoy's Southern upbringing was also much more of a humorous aspect of the character, while Trip's was more in-your-face, "hey, everyone, I'm from the South!"

But as someone else correctly pointed out, Connor Trineer worked with what he was given, and he gets a lot of credit for turning Trip from that jerk into debatably the most popular character on that show.

17. RandyS

I've never had a problem with the actor. I just don't like the character.

18. Kobayshi Maru

The character is a little too colorful for my taste. It's like he needs to be the center of attention in every scene he's in. To quote Archer: "Let me play Captain for once!"

19. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I don't entirely hate TATV, the concept was good.....as far as Troi and Riker. It wasn't executed correctly. How would I do it? I don't entirely know, but it wouldn't be that way.

Number 2....don't kill Trip. He is my second favorite character in all of Trek (Worf first, Reed third).....he was funny, down to earth....he basically was us on a ship. The wonder, innocence, the ingenuity, the hardness he felt after the Xindi attack.

That is my reason. I am one that is grateful for "The Good That Men Do", and the novels that follow.

20. Kobayshi Maru

It definitely wasn't the worst episode of that series. A Night In Sickbay deserved that title.