Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Lionel Ritchie stuff was a fun scene... the rest of this week's episode... ehhhhh.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Nanites was really the only plausible cause of the blackout other than magic or "God did it". Now the question is why did they wipe out power everywhere? Was it an accident or did Randall reprogram them to do so?

3. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

The questions are abundant. Why do electrical impulses in the brain work? Why isn't most of America a nuclear wasteland after all the nuclear reactors that should have breached a long time ago? How do the nanite-thingies work? Do they gather up loose electrons? She said absorbs electricity, after all. How did they cover the world in a matter of seconds?

4. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Pfft, those questions are all nonsensical. They assured us that Scientists(tm) told them it was all completely plausible as presented, ergo it's all completely plausible as presented.

Also, nanites = magic.

5. Yoda

I was pondering the whole world going dark in a few seconds thing as soon as they 'explained' the outage. Maybe the nanites had two modes... one to steal a minimum of electricity and replicate everywhere, and then the full power drain mode where a signal just needed to propagate through the network so to speak... That's the best I could come up with :lol:

But then why did they program the nanites to take out all of a plane's systems except for its running lights so that you could just so happen to see them fall out of the sky at night when the blackout hit? :)

6. Mister Fandango

...and fall straight down. Each and every one of them. >.>

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

This show is a mess. :lol: Just watch The Following before and your brain is already off so no problems. :)

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not this stupidity again.:rolleyes:

9. Mister Fandango

<shrugs> It's not my fault the show is idiotic. Airliners lost their power through what we now know were magical nanites. Which, as previously mentioned, neglected to affect their running lights and simultaneously drained all inertia from them as they plummeted straight down to the ground. And individuals like you said that it would be perfectly reasonable once we learned the reasons behind it.

And so we have! And it is, in fact, perfectly reasonable thanks to magic. Even though the actual explanation given for the magical effect wouldn't have done so. But that's okay. Scientists(tm) have reassured us, and individuals like you agree. So, yay!

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, you're nitpicking. The Walking Dead is a great show and desipite that there are easy to nitpick inconsistent elements. e.g.

1. How is the grass mown at the prison?

2. How do they manage to keep the car they drive around clean all the time? Why would they bother to clean it?

The same kind of nitpicks we cal also find in Star Trek or any other show that uses plot devices to make the story compelling or visually exciting.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually the History Channel's TV series, Life After People addresses this one. American Nuclear power plants were built with extra strong containment buildings that can absorb much of the blast even during a full melt down.

The only areas at risk from radiaiton would be a few miles around the plant and many of the plants are located in rural areas.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And the nanites were likely programmed to absorb artificial electricity, not organic electricity within humans themselves.

You know, like how the time machines in the Terminator series for some reason only work on Organic tissue?

13. Yoda

Well duh, I'm nitpicking. It kind of happens when the show isn't otherwise engaging enough to let me passively ignore its faults. That's more the show's fault than mine if you ask me :)

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

1. Vegetarian zombies.

2. Car wash zombies.

:)

15. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

They sure are smart, in that case.

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not trying to derail a decent thread, but do zombies poop? They eat. Do their GI tracts still work? Cause if they do, damn! They must REALLY stink, providing no excuse for surprise appearances. If they don't, then are they literally full of shit?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode. Sure there are still things that don't make sense with the nanite explanation, but at least it's an explanation, which is more than a lot of shows give us this early. I thought the stuff with Neville, and Rachel and Charlie was good. I'm very curious to see exactly what is going to become of the Neville's now.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The nanites spread over the entire world in a matter of seconds? Do they move through warp space or something? :lol:

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

To work they need hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of these things floating in a specified target area.

What's the plan?

Drop a dcp10's worth of this stuff from a plane and then hope the wind doesn't blow in the wrong direction?

The only way this weapon is more effective than a ballistic missile is that if it is already everywhere.

It's then just a question of programming active and inactive zones.

Problem is, that this is invasion.

Quadtrillions of nanites (wrong word. These things are the size of dust particles) floating through China and North Korea choosing not to attack because America is feeling Generous?

Sure.

That'll go over real well.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm not sure who these people "like me" are. as I was one of the first people to say "magic" in this thread.