How many Star Trek games have been good?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by The Overlord, May 17, 2013.

1. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

I really liked A Final Unity, and I agree about the MMO comment. Only MMORPG I have played was Star Wars Galaxies (from the day after launch until the dreaded NGE hit) but in a lot of ways I thought Galaxies would have made for a great Trek game. Especially how the game was early on, sandbox, huge worlds to explore, lots of professions to experiment with etc.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I liked Armada I, II less so because of the weak ships but it's got some nice features, is less buggy, and makes the Borg fun.

Legacy for the XBox was ok (haven't played it much), and I liked the 25th anniversary one. The others have a terrible reputation. STO seems to draw good and bad reviews alike.

3. EddyDrama

EddyDrama Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In my opinion Star Trek and Star Wars had both good and bad games pretty equal amount. There have been some awful Star Trek games (like Hidden Evil) but most of the games have been playable if not exactly good. I have enjoyed most of the star trek games that I have played. 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites are probably the best ones, A Final Unity I have not played as i have never been able to get it working. I too wish that those three games would be playble with ScummVM.

As far as other games that I have enjoyed, I really liked the FMV games Star Trek Borg and Star Trek Klingon. Yeah they were a bit clunky, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Starfleet Academy was really good as well. Birth of the Federation I played a lot, and that is on my top list as well.

4. General_Phoenix

In regards to Star Wars games, the best Star Wars games were the earliest ones. X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Dark Forces being prime examples. I even enjoyed Jedi Knight, and Jedi Outcast, but they started to muddy it all up with Jedi stuff all the time in games which became boring. The great things about X-Wing, and TIE Fighter was just being a pilot. Dark Forces had no force powers, just guns, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Seems now they have to shoehorn in Jedi and lightsabers whenever they can in a Star Wars game, which really bores me for some reason. Force Unleashed, while visually impressive with the force powers, just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Of course, Star Wars had its fair of stinkers early on, such as Rebel Assault.

I guess the same could be said about Trek, some of the earlier games were the best. Although Trek games on the early consoles were pretty bad. Star Trek Legacy was a great idea, but somehow it wasn't that great of a game. I think most people were hoping for another Klingon Academy style game. Klingon Academy was an incredible game, with the ability to manage just about every aspect of your ships systems, and all kinds of interesting tactics to utilize in battle situations. Sadly, I can no longer get KA to run on my modern systems, but I'd love for a remake of that game.

5. teeth_03

teeth_03 Ensign Newbie

6. General_Phoenix

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot.

7. teeth_03

teeth_03 Ensign Newbie

Game runs fine on Windows 8 64 bit, Intel 3770 and Nvidia 640 with those fixes.

8. kgartm1185

kgartm1185 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like Star Trek Legacy, Online, Bridge Commander, Armada I and II, and Elite Force.