A reminder about the 'end of the world' in December...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

I wish I believed that crap. It would make life much more exciting.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I find life in general very exciting. It's just a matter of taking a closer look and noticing the zillions of cool things. For example, have a look at your hand when you flex your fingers. Have you ever noticed how complicated a system of levers it is? All these bones, tendeons, connecting tissue and muscles forming a delicate yet highly effective structure that reacts to the slightest pull. Isn't it amazing how evolution gradually developed this apparatus?
    Or did you ever have a close look at a dandelion flower? It consists of hundreds of very pretty tongue-shaped blossoms with a funny style that looks a bit like a ram's horns
    [​IMG]
    The world is totally exciting! Just try to not just look but see. :)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

LIVE AS IF IT WERE TRUE.

4. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I second this!! Hubby and I took a well deserved vacation that we couldn't really afford this year...and we keep saying "well, if the world ends we had a whole lot of fun before it did!"

It's also become our reason to do mundane but silly things "the world is ending...we better do this now!"

We've been having a lot of fun lately...because, hey, why not? The world might end next month! Yes, LIVE AS IF IT WERE TRUE.

5. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Hah, I love all of your replies. I had never noticed that about dandelions.

Fascinating. :vulcan:

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of surprised by how little I've heard about this particular end of the world lately. I expected it to be like an election in a swing state. Building and building and building until you hope that the world will end just so you don't have to listen to this crap anymore. Instead it just sort of fizzled out a year or so ago.

7. teacake

They have learned the BANG goes better in the beginning. Far away from the fail.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So does that count as a "big BANG" theory?

9. teacake

It's not theory, it's FACT.

You clearly need a cosmic shift.

10. rhubarbodendron

Brett! Long time no see! :) Why aren't you posting over in the "any oldtimers still around" thread? I distinctively recall having you seen here, back in 2002.

There has been an article in the news over here that the French closed access to a mountain top on which a few end-of-the-world fanatics were planning to build an interstellar bus stop, in the hope of being picked up by aliens before the world blows up. But other than that I think everyone has gotten it by now that there was a new calendar discovered that counts further.
    It's a pity, really. It'd have been so much fun to sit back and watch the date pass and the believers sit there with long faces, like they did back then on Jan. 1st 2000 (both with the predicted end of the analogue world caused by Armageddon and the end of the digital one caused by the milennium bug) :D

11. teacake

I've already had that moment on Facebook after Obama won and the apocalypse (apparently) did not happen.

12. rhubarbodendron

he was supposed to bring an apocalypse? I had no idea! I must admit that the result of these elections came as a surprise to me, though. As a general rule, the American people has an unfortunate talent of always voting for the worst candidate.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, you just reminded me of a $25 million dollar bet I have with a friend who is convinced that the world will end next month.

Where did he get this idea? The movie 2012. for some odd reason that movie scared the living shit out of him.

It seemed like your basic action movie to me.:shrug:

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Get ready to negotiate a payment plan with your friend! (and be sure to write John Cusack a thank you note...)

15. slackbladder

slackbladder Lieutenant Junior Grade

just you wait, it will happen.

16. rhubarbodendron

Naah, I just got my vacation dates approved by my boss. Myself and my fellow horsepersons won't ride from Dec 13th to Jan 2nd.