Favorite children's books

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MHT1138, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What are some of your favorite children's picture books and chapter books?
    I have dozens that I love, but some that come to mind are The Little House books and the Westing Game. I also love the Fancy Nancy and Berenstein Bears books.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I collect children's books from the 1950s and 1960s that are illustrated by Libico Maraja such as

"The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor"

[​IMG]

"Africa's Legends"

[​IMG]

and my favourite "The Wizard of Oz"

[​IMG]

I also have "Gulliver's Travels", "Alice through the Looking Glass", "The Splendour Book of Ballet", "Tales from Hans Anderson" and "Around the World in 80 Days" all illustrated by him. I plan to buy more this year though "Alice in Wonderland" is probably too expensive for me to buy.

My "Art of Libico Maraja" group on Flickr

I also collect other illustrated versions of "The Wizard of Oz". I only collect the first Oz book and only versions from the 1950s-1970s that has illustrations to my liking.

3. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Halfdans ABC (Illustrated by Ib Spang Olsen).

[​IMG]

Silly rhymes for each letter of the alphabet. I got mine back when it was new (in 1967) and I'm pretty sure every single child in Denmark has had at least one of their own.
    It's totally impossible to translate into any other language due to the 'fun with language'-type of rhymes though so I'm guessing Norwegian is the only other language you're likely to find it in :rommie:

[​IMG]

Ane put anemones in the cannon on Trekroner.
    By the very first shot Anes anemones bloomed.

[​IMG]

Freddy Fræk from Fakse caught in traps fifteen fancy fresh fish-meatballs.

[​IMG]

The Cannon-king Knold who was mad as a troll bought cannon-balls and powder for a Krone,
    Put a mighty batch in his cannon and shot head and hat off his wife.

[​IMG]

Q is a letter in the alphabet.
    It's rarely used but here you can see it!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHeCbCDmK0[/yt]

4. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]
    People still give me strange looks when I say, "Hay is for horses, Treehorn, not people."

[​IMG]

And one which I enjoy as much as an adult as I did as a child:

[​IMG]

5. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the faraway tree series as well! My favourite character was saucepan man.

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Ladybird Books were a staple of our childhood - they covered all sorts of stories and areas in concise and readable detail.

As a very young child, one epic tale of high adventure, discovery and exploration, temptation, vice, regret, and redemption gripped me, and still does to this very day: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

I also liked The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr.

As I got a little older, the children's books of Roald Dahl dominated my reading. The BFG was my favourite (my mum and I would still talk in BFG-speak to this very day), although Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel were also good.

I tried getting into the Famous Five books, but I wasn't really much of a fan in the end. I did, however, enjoy The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis.

Finally, the one children's book that broke my heart when I first read it was EB White's Charlotte's Web.

Still one of my all-time favourite children's books. :cool: It inspired me to be the person I am today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

As a child I loved Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair books though I haven't read them as an adult.

8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I liked the Wishing Chair books too. :)

There's a new movie of The Phantom Tollbooth coming out in a couple of years, apparently. The other attempt, which I think was in the 70s, was rather hit-and-miss (though it did have the awesomeness of Mel Blanc...)

9. Zulu Romeo

It's planned for 2013 according to the DataBase of Movies on the Internet. I hope it turns out to be good.

I saw the 1970 animated version a few years back, and it wasn't the greatest adaptation in the world, but yeah, Mel Blanc. :cool:

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

When I was a kid my favourite books were the encyclopaedia and the dictionary. :alienblush:

11. Zulu Romeo

I kept two children's encyclopaedias under my bed as a child, and would read them and try to spot the inconsistencies between the two. :) My parents also bought the whole family a multi-volume children's encyclopaedia. My favourite volumes were about space, mathematics, culture, and the human body (in that order).

I was looking in my old bedroom recently and also found a huge fact book filled with random facts about the world and science and the arts, which I remember liking a lot. The cover is missing now.

I didn't read a dictionary - school had plenty of them, mostly with the rude words underlined (mostly by myself :p). I did have a thesaurus, however, which was handy. Not Roget's Thesaurus, but I did like that too.

My other factual obsession as a child was atlases - atlases of the world, and of other things. My favourite was a big book called "Atlas of the Solar System" which I would read at any time.

My parents also bought a series of Time-Life books about the paranormal, which I also remember flicking thorugh and not quite understanding. :)

As I got older, my parents gave me a family encyclopaedia of medicine and health. The chapter on reproduction is particularly dog-eared.

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Now I wish I had a book called Thesaurus Island. Starring Jim Talkings and Long Word Silver. :lol:

13. Zulu Romeo

... hunting a Thesaurus rex. :bolian:

14. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now, I'm liking a lot of Mo Willems' stuff, especially the Elephant and Piggie Books. Julian Hector's written two great picture books, The Gentleman Bug and The Little Matador, that I think are Caldecott medal-worthy.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

My seven year-old loves the Fancy Nancy and Junie B. Jones books.

When I was her age, I loved anything by Dr. Seuss.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

The Dr. Seuss books
    The Little Country House
    Ferdinand the Bull
    The Big Snow

17. MHT1138

I read a lot of childrens books as an adult, both for my job, I work in the children's section at Borders, and for fun. I love Mo Willems and I really enjoy the Splat the Cat books. I read Berkley Breathed's Mars needs Moms months ago for storytime, and now I see that its a movie.

18. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Dr. Seuss was a firm favourite when I was very young, and later I started reading The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I then moved on to the Little House series, Judy Blume and The Famous Five, among others. My elementary school had a book club and I'd blow almost all my allowance on books, some of which my daughter now reads. My sons don't share my childhood taste in reading and don't read my old books, though I enjoy raiding their bookcase and reading about Captain Underpants and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

My kids are too old for picture books but I still love to look through them in libraries and bookshops. MHT1138, I'd love to have your job!

19. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Morris' Disappearing Bag by Rosemary Wells.

20. MHT1138

macloudt, its a pretty awesome job. I loved the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I also read the Trixie Belden books- mysteries that are a little more realistic. But what are The Famous Five Books? I've never heard of them.