So besides me who else...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by royalfan5, May 6, 2013.

1. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

is rewatching all the movies prior to attending STID? I've just popped in TMP, and plan on getting through all of them by next Friday.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, I watched XI again yesterday, but that's about as much as I will be doing...

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching Star Trek on DVD on Wednesday, and seeing Into Darkness on Thursday. I re-watched most of the old films when the first ID trailers came out, so it's all fresh in my mind.

4. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I had avoided Abrams Star Trek, deliberately, until I stumbled upon it on Channel 4 in the UK on Saturday night.
    My worst fears were confirmed, it was crap and I did not enjoy the convoluted plot, the look, the CGI, and most importantly, the cast.

Chris Pine ?
    Really ?

As James T Kirk ?
    Never

Needless to say, I wont be going to the new one either.

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^There will be (or already are) fans who see Chris Pine and think Kirk, and Shatner as the guy from the Priceline commericals

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I am seeing STID at a screening on Monday. And watched 2009 last week.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I have to wait for the dvd since I can't see a movie screen clearly. Someone around here has been mentioning a challenge for months on watching all 700+ episodes and movies before the film opens.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had some free time back around the end of February so I took the time then to sit down and watch the first eleven movies. This was the first time I've actually watched all Trek movies in a year since before Nemesis came out.

And I got to say, it was a blast. Granted, going through a marathon viewing like this really does emphasize how great the TOS movies are, and how the TNG movies lack by comparison. Really, the only movie I actually found disappointing was TMP. All the rest, even Trek V were great.

Although, Trek XI is something of an anomaly. While watching it I find I can for the most part enjoy it, primarily because I'm really not familiar with it (this was only my third time watching it, the previous two were in 2009). It's after it's done that and I start thinking about that all its flaws become noticeable. Although some flaws I do notice in the film, like the lens flares and how everyone is always talking over each other.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting on my ST:INS DVD to get here. When it does, I'll have the full set of movies again, and then I will watch them all in order the week before the new movie. :D

10. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

You can really skip Insurrection, really.

11. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If nothing else, rewatching TMP has reminded me that Kirk's white jumpsuit is far and away my favorite Trek Uniform. Makes me glad I decided to do this.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm hoping to squeeze in a rewatch of the 2009 movie before seeing the sequel, just to get me in the mood. And I've been listening to the soundtrack on pretty much a daily basis for weeks now. (It's a good STAR TREK writing music.)

13. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Pine could play Kirk for 20 years and still not match up to Shatner.

14. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Im pretty up on the first 20 minutes of every TOS movie seeing I put them in as a fall asleep pretty regularly haha...as for the rest of the movie? I could use some refreshing...I may give it a shot...

or I may wait to see if I notice any references while watching the new one and then watch the old ones. My brain works better when I know what I'm looking for sometimes.

15. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Agreed...I just think the whole thing is something completely different than star trek was made out to be. Its for the newer generation full of action and cool effects. I just take it for what it is...and enjoy it for that

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I've been watching episodes of the original series instead, but tomorrow night will watch Trek XI before I see STID the next morning. Sometime later in the year, planning on buying the movies on blu-ray, and make a weekend where I just watch the movies.

17. Greg Cox

I'm sure people said the same thing about Adam West and Batman, until Michael Keaton and Christian Bale came along

Ditto for Connery and Bond and his various successors. Or Bela Lugosi and Dracula. Or John Wayne and Rooster Cogburn. Or George Reeves and Superman.

No actor is irreplaceable. There's always room for another interpretation.

18. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I've been watching mostly TOS now in preparing for STID, followed in the next few days by some of the TOS movies.

What I've done is pick the episodes that may have some relevance to STID, for example: "Errand of Mercy", "Day of the Dove" and so on because the Klingons are in the movie to some degree.

For the TOS movies, one of my uncles passed away last year, and he always found Trek things for me at flea markets and thrift shops. One of the last things he gave me was a box set of the TOS movies on VHS, and since I still have a player, I'm going to play the movies on that in honor of my uncle.

And Greg, I agree about interpretation of a role. Some folks should try to experience various interpretations of live Shakespeare. You will see 10 different people play a role and see 10 different interpretations. It's actually very interesting to see.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watched Trek09 last night! I am ready to go!!

20. Greg Cox

Exactly. I always find it fascinating to see how different actors interpret the same character. If we can have dozens of different Macbeths or Carmens, why not different takes on Kirk and Spock and the rest?